Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The part of this game that I find most often throws people for a loop is what to do when two spies are on one team. I have heard proposals for various conventions (spy on the left should fail, etc.), but this seems counter to the spirit of the game. Spies should probably endeavor to not end up on a team together in 5-6 player games, but what to do when it happens?

I would be happy to hear any tips on this, as I find this to be the trickiest part of the game. I would rather find some in-game ways to deal with this rather rather than rely upon predetermined rules of thumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
My view (and a lot of players agree), that no off-table discussion or agreement should be done. There are lot of conventions that arise without specifically agreeing to them.

(Leader decides / if you failed before, fail again / Mordred does not fail 2-spy missions.)

The fun is in that there is no fixed agreement. You are reading the situation and the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with the post above. I don't see any reason why to make any establishments before the game. It's ok to do that in strategic games, like Tichu. But Resistance is a bluffing game. If you ended up in a two spies team, then you did something wrong (you can always convince people that the other guy shouldn't go on the team etc. etc.).

Last time we played (5-person game) Avalon, me and my colleauge were spies. Merlin was happy to be the leader of a mission, so he have chosen us and himself, hoping for two failures. Acting as a good guy I just "gently shouted" that I'm the good guy and nothing else than success can go out from my hand. No one, besides my colleague, was able to deduct anything from my words. We ended up in a mission with 1 failure. After seeing that, Merlin was looking so woebegone. So, thanks to that mission we smashed all the good guys (along with Merlin himself) and knew who was Merlin for 100%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am in the "no conventions" camp - if two spies are on the same proposed team, the spies can try to vote it down, or they can take their chances on communicating which of them should fail the mission, or they can take their chances on blindly choosing to succeed/fail the mission.

If the mission succeeds, then they each gain some trust; if it single-fails, then they didn't need a convention anyway; if it double-fails, then the loyal Resistance members still need to figure out which of the people on that mission to trust - and they're still up one mission...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Regulation 46A: If transmissions are being monitored during battle, no uncoded messages on an open channel.

It is fun to try and communicate with your fellow spy on these occasions. Having a convention takes away the nervous tension when you threw in a fail and hope that your colleague did not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
Quote:
Regulation 46A: If transmissions are being monitored during battle, no uncoded messages on an open channel.

It is fun to try and communicate with your fellow spy on these occasions. Having a convention takes away the nervous tension when you threw in a fail and hope that your colleague did not.

This is so true. If all the players have some agreed upon rule to determine which spy will sabotage in a mission with multiple spies (say, whoever is closest to the mission leader), the spies no longer fear have a team with multiple spies on it. And in the early game this is the only information you see: what teams are players proposing.

And if you find yourself going on a mission with another spy, it is such a challenge to find a subtle way to communicate (pointing to yourself, or just pointing at the other spy and saying "Right, I don't trust you, so if a sabotage card turns up, I'll know it was you!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomes T
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
One technique that I have used successfully multiple times , has been covertly communicating via the vote tiles. I will gesture to myself and hold up either an "approve" or "reject" tile.

Approve =I will throw a success
Reject = I will throw a fail

I never communicated this convention before hand and it has worked every time! Just be cautious and start holding your tiles and flipping them the whole game so you condition your pursues to not pay attention to the fact the tiles are in your hands.

Tomes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
You always just say, "I am putting in a pass." Or if you want to be ballsy, "I am putting in a fail." You can even say the latter when there isn't another spy on the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Or if you want to be ballsy, "I am putting in a fail." You can even say the latter when there isn't another spy on the team.

Absolutely, that could be a great play. Say you're on M4, and you need the mission to fail, to get the score to 2-2...

Announce your intent to play a fail, subtly, as if only trying to communicate it to one other person (a resistance) on the team; but not so subtly that other people around the table don't catch the communication too.

When the fail is revealed, start blaming it on the other resistance (the one that you didn't imply was a spy). Hopefully, you'll have stitched up a member of the resistance, going in to M5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.