1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Stat Speculation - Sovereign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Probably a ways off... but any guesses on what the ENT-E should have?

I'm thinking not that big a jump from the Galaxy:

ATT: 5
DEF: 1
HULL: 5
SHLD: 4

Upgrades: Tech(?), 2x Weapons, 2x Crew

180 degree fwd arc, 90 degree aft arc

Probably not speed 6, but might be similar to the Galaxy with a Come About (Speed 3 reverse course) instead of one of the reverse moves.

Would love a special ability like: Weapon Upgrades cost 2 less points each (minimum cost: 1).

Probably a bit on the Munchkin side... but one can hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure of the crazy arcs combined with the high firepower. It's possible though.

I'd expect another Picard/Riker captain combo.

Something I thought of on seeing this was an elite talent based around the Riker Maneuver; after moving, discard take an action to roll the movement speed number of dice (maybe with a plus or minus modifier depending on the ship's movement dial) instead of a normal attack during the next round, perhaps with the additional condition of a debuff to defense.

Memory Alpha says the ship has less volume overall, so maybe we'll see something like:

Attack 5
Agility 2
Hull 4
Shields 4

I don't see it having a come about, but maybe a turn maneuver that's white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agility 2 is crazy.

I expect:
Attack 5
Agility 1
Hull 5
Shields 4

But only if the maneuver dial is just as clunky and slow as Ent-D.

However if it's much more maneuverable I'd expect it to top out at Attack 4.

I expect all large Fed ships to stick with reverse 2 instead of come about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Riker and/or Picard Maneuver Elite Talent upgrades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
My speculation is:

Attack 5
Agility 1
Hull 5
Shields 4

Maneuver profile very similar to galaxy, possibly with more/easier tight turns.

Either 180 arc or text similar to the Ent-Ds omnidiractional fire.
Rear firing arc.

Tech (??) Weapon Weapon Crew Crew... Crew?

I think another iteration of Picard/Riker as captains is a good bet. Much as I'd like to see Riker as a crew upgrade the formula seems to be two unique captains per expansion and I don't see anyone else who would work.

Crew-wise another Worf is a safe bet, maybe a more useful Geordi. Data natch. I'd like to see the ones that were left out of the starter, Crusher and Troi frex. Lt. Hawke might be a good dark horse candidate, as I expect the scenario to be First Contact film themed. Since it was the most well-recieved of the TNG era films as well as the first appearance of the Sovereign-class Enterprise.

Elite Talents might also reflect a First Contact theme, "A Line Must Be Drawn Here!" seems to suggest itself.

Quantum torpedos are a shoe in, and maybe another iteration of the 5pt fed photons, or more mines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely the Picard Maneuver has to be a straight movement due to the short burst of warp rather than impulse engines.

With all attacks against it that turn having a 50% chance of being cancelled due to the attacking ship targeting the wrong location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we will see a Picard Maneuver in that expansion. They already have a Stargazer for tactics, so the Picard Maneuver should come with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that so many of you are giving it 5 Hull. I'd definitely put it at 5/1/4/?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
kobold47 wrote:
I'm surprised that so many of you are giving it 5 Hull. I'd definitely put it at 5/1/4/?

Fair enough, but keep in mind although it was smaller, it was built for combat against the Borg.

Clearly some lessons were learned on the Defiant Program - armor, better SIFs, etc.

I'm content with the 5 hull. 4 would put it on par with the Constitution class, which seems a bit odd.

I've always wondered why during the Dominion war, they didn't visibly upgun the Galaxy class ships with Defiant-style weaponry. Maybe there was some odd limitation they were fighting (power transfer capacity?), but it's hard to imagine that Starfleet would keep pumping out Science vessels after that first Dominion assault against Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we might see a 5hull with 2 evade. The enterprise e, was designed to be a slicker ship, and still be ready for combat.. How many points..is another question, I'm going with 32,maybe 34pts.. 5/2/5/4 and the ability will make that 2 point difference depending on how good they make it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william nothdruft

Michigan
msg tools
comparing the sovereign and galaxy classes on memory alpha, the sovereign is a somewhat smaller, heavier armed ship. refitted with 2 more phaser banks than the galaxy,and, 5 times the number of torpedo launchers,boasting photon and quantum launchers.

my best guess: Enterprise-E
4/2/4/5 as it's more advanced than the galaxy. about 20 years between the two classes

special ability: guess #1 when firing photon torpedoes do not disable the card. guess #2 when firing photon torpedoes you may re-roll all blank results once.

90 degree forward and aft firing arcs.

slightly better movement dial.

or, it's photon card could read: 5 firepower, spend target lock, turn one battle stations into a hit, if fired from a sovereign class ship add 1 die, maybe fired forward or aft. then it's special ability would be to fire 360 degrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madwill wrote:
comparing the sovereign and galaxy classes on memory alpha, the sovereign is a somewhat smaller, heavier armed ship. refitted with 2 more phaser banks than the galaxy,and, 5 times the number of torpedo launchers,boasting photon and quantum launchers.

4/2/4/5 as it's more advanced than the galaxy. about 20 years between the two classes

special ability: guess #1 when firing photon torpedoes do not disable the card. guess #2 when firing photon torpedoes you may re-roll all blank results once.

or, it's photon card could read: 5 firepower, spend target lock, turn one battle stations into a hit, if fired from a sovereign class ship add 1 die, maybe fired forward or aft. then it's special ability would be to fire 360 degrees.

I'm really not expecting it to be agility 2, and would be shocked to see the heavier armed ship have the same 4 attack as the Galaxy class. So, the 5/1 formula seems the most believable to me at this point. As has been mentioned, this ship was built for war, and not the multi-purpose functionality of the Galaxy. I'm assuming the biggest thing, was removing excess passenger birthing, as I don't remember seeing too many civilian children running around during the Borg attack. So, I assume the loss in size was a crew quarters reduction, and not a reduction in actual hull integrity. So, I again am guessing the Hull and shields should be on a par with the Galaxy. So, at least the 5/1/5/4 stat line is a safe guess to me. And, I wouldn't be shocked to see a shield upgrade pushing it to a 5/1/5/5. Giving the Feds a 32 point ship, that can really take a beating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coastcityo wrote:
madwill wrote:

I'm really not expecting it to be agility 2, and would be shocked to see the heavier armed ship have the same 4 attack as the Galaxy class. So, the 5/1 formula seems the most believable to me at this point. As has been mentioned, this ship was built for war, and not the multi-purpose functionality of the Galaxy. I'm assuming the biggest thing, was removing excess passenger birthing, as I don't remember seeing too many civilian children running around during the Borg attack. So, I assume the loss in size was a crew quarters reduction, and not a reduction in actual hull integrity. So, I again am guessing the Hull and shields should be on a par with the Galaxy. So, at least the 5/1/5/4 stat line is a safe guess to me. And, I wouldn't be shocked to see a shield upgrade pushing it to a 5/1/5/5. Giving the Feds a 32 point ship, that can really take a beating.

5/1/5/5 Sounds reasonable to me, especially with the new 4th Division B-Ship now having stats out. Though we never saw the Sovreign class in the Dom war as fas as I remember, it was about the same time period. So the designers would have taken into affect the war footing that Starfleet was in.

As for special...hmmm, Ramming Speed (Nemesis)? Torpedo Spread (First Contact)? Riker Maneuver (Insurrection)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william nothdruft

Michigan
msg tools
coastcityo wrote:
madwill wrote:

no question this is going to be the fed heavy hitter, and, possibly the first fed ship with 5 attack. but, with 10 overall torpedo launchers are they going to give us a quantum/photon card worth equipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sovereign stood up to fire better than 2 Valdore classes against the Scimitar and seemed to have more firepower. The Valdore is 30 points, so its at least that much if not more.

I really think it wants to be a 32 point ship at 5/1/5/5 but it could equally be 5/1/5/4 or 4/1/5/5. The ship was shown firing in a 360 degree arc in the movie. It will either have a 360 ability or a secondary that fires 360. I really hope the ship has a 180 degree arc forward with a 90 degree rear, but the newer ships trend toward a 90 degree forward arc.

The ship should be more 'maneuverable' than the D, but I just don't see a come about in its dial either.

Regardless, this ship and the Prometheus will be the ones that give the federation teeth when they arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
The ship was shown firing in a 360 degree arc in the movie. It will either have a 360 ability or a secondary that fires 360.

The Galaxy-class Enterprise also showed a 360 degree field of fire during the series and the one movie it featured. That doesn't mean anything I'm afraid. I'd stick a 360 ° secondary weapon on the ship, but then it'd be very similar to the Galaxy-class, and I doubt that's the route Andrew and Co are taking with the ship.

That said, I expect 5 AD as well, and a bit more Hull than on the Galaxy class.

jmdt784 wrote:

Regardless, this ship and the Prometheus will be the ones that give the federation teeth when they arrive.

And of course the Akira class as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was designing it, I would do 32 points - 5 / 1 / 4 / 6

It's smaller than the Galaxy, so it should have a lower Hull value. I think it's defense should be geared more toward the Shields. After all, when it flew in against the Borg in First Contact, the cube hit it with like 3 direct blasts from its tractor beam and the Big E seemed like it just shrugged those off.

I would give it 90-degree forward (and rear) firing arc. I know a 180 forward would be consistent with what we see (particularly in Nemesis), but here's my idea for card text:

When defending against a ship in your forward or rear firing arcs, roll +2 defense dice.

After all, while the Sovereign is rather large, it presents a very small aspect to the enemy head-on, making it harder to hit from the front or back. And John Eaves, who designed the ship for the movie, has said that the whole concept was driven by a more forward-attacking philosophy, so a built-in 180 or 360 attack seems less necessary to me.

I could also see something like a +1 die bonus to any torpedoes fired in the forward arc, in honor of that beefy launcher on the underside of the saucer.

Just my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I don't get where people are coming up with less absolute volume=fewer hull points? In a game hull points are the primary measure of durability, surely armor and structural reinforcement are also a factor? The Sovereign is a purpose-built warship designed to counter the borg threat. Presumably meaning it incorporates advances in armor, damage control, etc over the Galaxy class commissioned some two decades earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
I don't get where people are coming up with less absolute volume=fewer hull points? In a game hull points are the primary measure of durability, surely armor and structural reinforcement are also a factor? The Sovereign is a purpose-built warship designed to counter the borg threat. Presumably meaning it incorporates advances in armor, damage control, etc over the Galaxy class commissioned some two decades earlier.

I get what you're saying, and I'd certainly agree that the Enterprise-E's hull appears quite durable (more durable than the Scimitar's, by all appearances in Nemesis), but in terms of game mechanics, I think it's more appropriate to put its durability in shields, not hull.

Also, it's not like the Galaxy is a fragile little flower, hull-wise. There are multiple occasions in the episodes and movies when we see a Galaxy-class ship stand up to long punishment after its shields have been somehow negated (I'm thinking specifically of Generations and DS9's "Jem'Hadar"). In the latter episode, even after a catastrophic direct ramming strike from a Jem'Hadar ship, it takes a second or two for the Odyssey's warp core to finally go up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan K
msg tools
Just a quick conversion i made for the scimitar scenario you may also find useful:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cut_ wrote:
jmdt784 wrote:
The ship was shown firing in a 360 degree arc in the movie. It will either have a 360 ability or a secondary that fires 360.

The Galaxy-class Enterprise also showed a 360 degree field of fire during the series and the one movie it featured. That doesn't mean anything I'm afraid. I'd stick a 360 ° secondary weapon on the ship, but then it'd be very similar to the Galaxy-class, and I doubt that's the route Andrew and Co are taking with the ship.

Not to mention DS9 showed the Defiant and Excelsior classes with 360 firepower. (And it stands to reason that any space-faring race would have firepower in multiple arcs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Powell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
My idea for the Picard Maneuver would be: This ship may perform a Sensor Echo, if you do so, discard this card.

Id expect some sort of variation on it, such as a minimum requirement of movement. Like a Straight 3 or above. Really, I'd just duplicate\convert Expert Handling from X-Wing.

Picard Maneuver 2 pts. Action: Perform a [Sensor Echo]. If you do not have the [Sensor Echo] symbol on your upgrade bar, receive 1 [Auxiliary Power] token.

You may then remove 1 enemy Target Lock from your ship. Discard this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah. Save the Picard Maneuver for when they release a Constellation-Class ship. (pretty-please?) AFAIK, it's the only ship that ever performed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RookActual wrote:
My idea for the Picard Maneuver would be: This ship may perform a Sensor Echo, if you do so, discard this card.

Id expect some sort of variation on it, such as a minimum requirement of movement. Like a Straight 3 or above. Really, I'd just duplicate\convert Expert Handling from X-Wing.

Picard Maneuver 2 pts. Action: Perform a [Sensor Echo]. If you do not have the [Sensor Echo] symbol on your upgrade bar, receive 1 [Auxiliary Power] token.

You may then remove 1 enemy Target Lock from your ship. Discard this card.

Unless you were target locked by a ship with Data on it! :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Here's what I'd love to see:

Give it a 180 degree fwd / 90 degree aft arc, and you're ready to beat anybody!!

Working on the maneuver dial next - going to be similar to the Galaxy with maybe some better turn options.

USS MUNCHKIN TO THE RESCUE!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.