Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elias
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Give us lettuce or give us death (or carrots).
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the forums, I figured out how to identify the FileID from the URL, but when I try to use them in GeekLists, it always links to the wrong game. How do I link to the game I actually want??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
A file ID would link to a file. Each game has it's own id. The easiest way to link to a board game is to use the 'insert geek link' menu, select board game and then find the game in question.

If you really want to you can navigate to a game's record and get it's id from you url.

Example settlers of catan:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13/the-settlers-of-catan

So 'boardgame' identifies what the thing is and '13' is the things id.

Where as:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96820/2-player-rules-for-settlers-of-catan

So 'filepage' is the thing and '96820' is the things id.

to link to this you'd use the 'insert geek link' but this time select 'file page' and simply enter the number string above =

2-Player Rules for Settlers of Catan.

Here are my favourite guides to using the site but when in doubt just ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you trying to add a game to a Geeklist? I usually don't* use the game's ID number; I just put in the name when it asks for it and chose the one I want.

*never

UPDATE: Trust your local admin, two minutes above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has a large number of ID numbers, one for almost each kind of thing on the site. A game number is not an image number.

So, what you have to do is go to the game page, browse through the images, and get the ImageID you want (not the GameID). Suppose you want to put Alien Frontiers (game#48726) in your GeekList with the image at the top of the game page. Hovering over that image, you can copy the URL, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1657833/alien-frontiers giving you the imageID of 1657833. Presto:

Note that the URL above is not the URL of the image, but the URL of the image's "homepage". If you want to insert the image into text, as I did above, see this: Re: How to insert images of different size in posts? (That, by the way, is Reply#6628685 which is different from Article#6628685, Comment#6628685, Image#6628685, and so forth.}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: figured out I was being an idiot before. When I saw the options of what to click on, the following groups were in columns side by side with Board Game in bold:

Board Game
Family
Accessory

File
GeekList
Thread

I thought the title was on the left and the corresponding link was on the right, so I was clicking file, which explains a lot of my confusion and why I was looking for a FileID in the first place. Thanks to the people who gave solutions, but I thought I would just let you know how I was messing up. Hopefully you can at least get a laugh out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This site was programmed by geeks for geeks. It takes some time (years?) to learn all the logic of the site (where it has it). The good thing is, it's safe to experiment. Little gems of information are everywhere! (Try poking around the Statistics section of your favorite game. Click on blue numbers and little icons.)

You were quite correct to think of the lists as columns. If you turn on all "domains" for a GeekList--RPG Geek, BoardGameGeek, and VideoGameGeek--you get four columns something like below, without the garish colors I've added to show what goes with what.

The bold items at the top are things you can pick (the games), but they're also column headers indicating what things belong to what "domain". For instance, publishers are different in each domain. The stuff in the rightmost column with no bold header? They're the things that are the same across all three domains, files, GeekLists, and Threads. Yes, you can have a GeekList of GeekLists, even one that has itself as a member of...um...itself (yeah, I just tried it and it works shake).
RPG Item
RPG

Genre
Family
Setting
Series
System

Publisher
Designer
Artist
Production Staff

Periodical
Issue

Podcast
Podcast Episode
Board Game
Family
Accessory

Publisher
Designer
Artist
Video Game
Platform
Hardware
Genre
Franchise
Series
Theme
Character
Developer
Publisher
File
GeekList
Thread
So, please feel free to come back here if you need more help. You can also ask questions, and there are more pinned tutorials, in HOWTO BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Yes, you can have a GeekList of GeekLists, even one that has itself as a member of...um...itself (yeah, I just tried it and it works shake).

Sounds like we are treading dangerously close to the land of Russell's paradox. Is there a type theory for GeekLists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. I guess I have a good start to GeekLists which are Geeklist items in Themselves, but a disastrous start to GeekLists which are not members of Themselves. Still a GL in itself is in it as a GL item, not really an entire GL, thus the list is finite--convenient that, considering GL rendering times. Kind of like the difference between the null set, {}, and the set of nul, {Ø}. Well, you're going to fit right in here!

(What kind of tea is in Russell's Teapot?) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.