Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 4x, fantasy theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if this has already been asked, and if I has please direct me to the proper thread, but is there a game the has 4x type mechanics (like civ building games) but a fantasy theme? So instead of having races like "America" and "China", etc, they are "elf" and "dwarf" and whatnot. Does a game like this exist? And if so, is it worth playing?

Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an easy one: Runewars...and it is fantastic.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I'd like to know too, especially as I have already ruled out Runewars for myself. FFG, too many bits, FFG, miniatures not chits, FFG, and, well, I prefer the things that people in this thread dislike, and tend to dislike what they like).

And it being by FFG puts me off it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Divine Right
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Tompy wrote:


Definitely NOT 4X.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Mage Knight Board Game might qualify. I've been thinking and researching on a card-driven 4X hexcrawl game that would be during the reign of Arthur (well, probably from his birth to death, so 81 years)... still have to work on the hook and the major way to hold players to the full spiel, with a mechanic partly inspired by the COIN series, so that events over the years are loaded to a deck... I think the payoff will be glory for the players as noble families, but the whole realm may collapse if the players generally fail to resist the assaults of Saxons, Picts, and the Fae.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not actually played rune wars so can't qualify that, but it looks one of the closer fantasy games for 4X.

Might and Magic Heroes is almost there (Just depending on what it is you want from 4X).

Mage Knight isn't 4X.

I've not found a Twilight Imperium of the Fantasy setting yet, if that's what you are chasing.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, Runewars seems to be fitting the bill for me. Reviews seem solid and it might be exactly what I am looking for. Thank you all for your feedback.

My only concern about that game is that it clearly is very conflict oriented. Is there a different game option that is a little more focused on building your empire and not as much on war...yet still with strong player interaction?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Banas
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard Might & Magic Heroes might fit what you are looking for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:

My only concern about that game is that it clearly is very conflict oriented. Is there a different game option that is a little more focused on building your empire and not as much on war...yet still with strong player interaction?


Maybe you should have labeled the thread differently then?

One of them X's is for extermination - which I'd call a pretty
extreme form of war!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Wayne Schulatz wrote:

My only concern about that game is that it clearly is very conflict oriented. Is there a different game option that is a little more focused on building your empire and not as much on war...yet still with strong player interaction?


Maybe you should have labeled the thread differently then?

One of them X's is for extermination - which I'd call a pretty
extreme form of war!


Ha, you're absolutely correct. I guess what I meant was that Runewars seems to focus A LOT on the extermination part, and not as much on the exploring and expanding parts. Is that an inacurate estimation? I am just trying to find out if this game is right for me and will scrath this itch that I have!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Warparty?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
calandale wrote:
Wayne Schulatz wrote:

My only concern about that game is that it clearly is very conflict oriented. Is there a different game option that is a little more focused on building your empire and not as much on war...yet still with strong player interaction?


Maybe you should have labeled the thread differently then?

One of them X's is for extermination - which I'd call a pretty
extreme form of war!


Ha, you're absolutely correct. I guess what I meant was that Runewars seems to focus A LOT on the extermination part, and not as much on the exploring and expanding parts. Is that an inacurate estimation? I am just trying to find out if this game is right for me and will scrath this itch that I have!


I would say exploration and expansion are both big parts of the game. The whole 'hero' sub game is about exploration and questing, and expansion is your only hope of winning the game. It doesn't have a 'tech tree' so to speak, but the various card decks offer you ways to improve your abilities. There is a lot of fighting though. :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan,

Thank you for clarifying. I think it is safe to say this one will be in my collection very soon. I have been reading the directions and watching videos and I am pretty into it. I appreciate everyone's time helping me out with this topic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.