Trains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are Coins accumulated in a bank for the turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Slawson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
We need some clarification about the intent of the 1st paragraph in "A Player Turn"

AEG game rule booklet "...However, the player must fully complete each action one at a time -- a player may not buy a card in the middle of playing a card, or vice versa"

Okazubrandweb expanded PDF rule booklet. "...may not buy a card in the middle of playing a card, or play a card while buying one."

Is the coin aquired during a turn put in a bank that can be drawn on at any time? Or since you cannot play a card if in the middle of buying cards is money collected and spent as part of taking an action?

Two quick examples have shown up repeatedly in the games we have played.

I have 2x Express trains and 2 lay track cards. I play express train to get 2 coin, lay track to build in a city for cost of 1. Play the second Express train for 2 coin, do I now have the 3 I need to build into the 3 off board area or only 2?

This impacts Iron Works as well. Based on our read of the rules and posting here; we put Iron works into play for 1 coin, then Lay track generates 2 coin. I now have 3 coin to spend. If I don't lay track I can use that coin to buy a card . If I do lay track it that coin only good for the track lay cost and now gone or is the unused portion still available for another track lay / card buy?

Based on other deck building games I think it would be a bank I can draw on at any time. But those have a specific card buy phase and missing that statement about not playing a card while buying cards. If coins are stored in a bank I have not found a situation where that rule impacts game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of your money is available to you for that turn. So, it is "in a bank". You can spend as little or as much of the money you have for that turn in whatever way you want.

However, the bank analogy breaks down. It is important to know that your money is not saved from one turn to the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a similar post on here in regards to the Iron Works card and we have had issues with it. Has been awhile since we have played, but think the issue was if you could use the extra coins you get for laying track to lay the initial track - i.e. if it cost you three coins to lay track into a space, could you use the Iron Works bonus to pay for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.