Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What happens if someone uses Wall of Earth to block Psychic Storm? Does it fizzle or does the target square get changed to the space before the Wall of Earth?

Thanks ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
WizWar's one of our favorite game, but there are many spell interactions that are certainly open to interpretation.

Wall of Earth is clear for many line of sight spells (like fireball and orb of pain), but it is unclear for some others (psychic storm and Life Share).

In this case, Wall of Earth raises a wall that "blocks one attack" and blocks line of sight. We ruled that this would certainly block Life Share from reaching its target, and would fizzle. By the same extension, we would rule that Psychic Storm fizzles because it doesn't reach its target.

No idea what the real ruling is, but this is what we have decided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we just play that wall of earth can dispel any attack spell since the literal wording is "nullify one attack"... that applies for the entire duration of the spell but for example with the "fire darts sepll" it will nullify just one dart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklaw90 wrote:
we just play that wall of earth can dispel any attack spell since the literal wording is "nullify one attack"... that applies for the entire duration of the spell but for example with the "fire darts sepll" it will nullify just one dart

Yes, basically, but only line of sight attacks or adjacent attacks made from the adjacent square. Attacks made from the same square can never be blocked by a wall of earth raised on the border of the squares, and "anywhere" spells are not eligible due to game text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also find it funny that the Wall of Earth says that it stops movement. Like you could throw it up blocking the turn player from being able to reach their home base to make the winning drop, but the card also says that the wall collapses after it takes one attack so the player trying to score can just punch the wall and keep going. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
Wall of Earth is clear for many line of sight spells (like fireball and orb of pain), but it is unclear for some others (psychic storm and Life Share).

I added this question to the FAQ question list. Can't talk much about the project (and can't really say when it'll be available to the general public), but I may say that every possible source of confusion is trying to be addressed.
So, folks, if you believe some other "confusing issues" exist, please post them here (I'm just skimming this forum from time to time, but I subscribed to the FAQ thread, so, every time you post there, I'll see the question and report it to FFG)
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, my personal take on this one (just remember, I'm not working for FFG even though I help them collecting the FAQ, and my answers are in no way official, they're just the opinion of a gamer like you):

- Psychic Storm vs Wall of Earth: if Psychic Storm is centered on the target's square, there is no way that Wall of Earth could interact with it (the wall "defends" one border of one square). If the Psychic Storm is cast on an adjacent square, Wall of Earth works. Psychic Storm specifies that you cannot evade such a spell, but Wall of Earth doens't make you evade an attack, but block it. I sense the problem, though, since according to the rules an attack can be cancelled, reduced or evaded, but there is nowhere mentioned the option of "blocking". I asked about this in the FAQ.

- Share Life vs Wall of Earth: could you tell me which part you find confusing? It seems to me that Wall of Earth is a perfectly suitable counterspell for Share Life: the attack comes from LoS, and there is nowhere written that it can't be evaded / blocked / cancelled or whatever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.