mitchell ortuondo
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry if this has been asked before but went through the 16 pages of rules questions and paizo website and could not find this.

What is the purpose of the discard pile, can they be placed in your character deck after you run out of cards in that deck?

Otherwise we cannot see the difference between bury, banish or discard terminology if the effects are the same?

Another note

Had a game last night and Ezren got injured in the 1st combat because the difference was 5. He lost 5 cards basically killing him off the rest of the game. Did we do this right? Also found monsters tough if they were elite as we did not have the equipment to fight them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards in the discard pile are effectively wounds. You do not get to shuffle your discards back into your deck unless you play a healing spell or use a healing potion.

If Ezren took 5 damage he would have to discard 5 cards from his hand. At the end of his turn he would draw up to 6 cards. That shouldn't have killed him unless he discarded a lot of cards earlier in the game,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitchell ortuondo
Australia
flag msg tools
You are correct he was not killed but basically was unplayable at that stage as he had no more spells as those were the cards that were in my hand at the time. After that encounter entered another encounter and had nothing to defeat the monster or even could roll a die high enough to kill it, also playing a card meant I had to draw cards from my character deck which meant I could not fill my hand again.

I still don't understand the different terminology of Banish, discard or bury if the actual affects are the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bury means you lose that card for the rest of that scenario, but you get it back for the deck construction after the scenario so you probably will have it for that next scenario.

Discard means you can get it back if you use Healing Potion, Cure, Staff of Minor Healing, or The Apothecary's ability.

Banish means it is gone from your party's card pile forever. So, unlike Bury, you won't get to put it back into your party's card pile to put into a character's deck.*

*If you somehow are short a card when reconstructing your deck, you can get a Basic card of that type so you might get the card you banished back.

So, to sum up, there is a big difference between those 3 terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bilugo wrote:

I still don't understand the different terminology of Banish, discard or bury if the actual affects are the same?

Well if you banish something, it's gone until you can get it back somehow by that card being part of a location in another scenario, or as a reward for beating a scenario you may have a chance to get a random card of some type and may get that banished card back. But it's not like at the end of the game you are going to go digging back in the box to get that card back, it's gone!

Discarded cards have a chance to get back into your deck by cure spells.

Buried cards can't be put back into your deck during that scenario, but it is there to add back into your deck in between scenarios if you still want or need it.

ninja 'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitchell ortuondo
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you for the answers :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan Rybak
msg tools
Can someone please explain to me the difference between display and reveal?

I would like the practical difference - I know that display is placing he card in fron of you and revealing means basically saying that you use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panRybak wrote:

I would like the practical difference - I know that display is placing he card in fron of you and revealing means basically saying that you use it.
Display cards stay in front of you and are no longer in your hand to discard for other powers. Display cards are usually discarded after they are used up.

Reveal cards always go back into your hand and can usually be used as discards for other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all spelled out on p.10 of the rules:

Quote:
When you play a card, it will usually require you to take one of the
following actions:
• Reveal: show it from your hand then put it back in your hand.
• Display: place it faceup in front of you.
• Discard: put it into your discard pile—a stack of faceup cards next to
your deck.
• Recharge: put it facedown at the bottom of your character deck.
• Bury: put it under your character card (likely losing access to it for
the rest of the scenario).
• Banish: put it back in the box, shuffling it in with the other cards of
the same type (thus losing it for good).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bilugo wrote:

There's your problem, right there. Aside from the fact that they are no longer in your hand, the effects are not the same. A card in you discard pile might make it back into your hand or deck during the scenario. A buried card is gone for the rest of the scenario, but still available after the scenario if you or someone else wants it in their deck. Banished cards are shuffled back into their proper stack in the box and are no longer in your possession in any way. It's really all very clearly explained in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Malo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Keep an open mind; let yourself be amazed but not fooled.
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
panRybak wrote:

Display cards stay in front of you and are no longer in your hand to discard for other powers. Display cards are usually discarded after they are used up.

Reveal cards always go back into your hand and can usually be used as discards for other things.

I'd like to know where displayed cards are to be handled after being played. The best statement I could find in the updated rulebook was: "[...] A displayed card keeps doing whatever it says for as long it is displayed, and it stops doing it when it’s no longer displayed." (on page 22). Nowhere is it said when it should no longer be displayed.

If I interpret your explanation correctly I can't see how reading "Display this card to ..." would have any kind of difference from "Discard this card to ...".

EDIT: could it be that a displayed card's effect lasts for the whole duration of a player's turn and then be discarded at the end? This would make sense since discarded cards have more instant effect

Is there an official answer to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ardestat wrote:
Proto Persona wrote:
panRybak wrote:

I'd like to know where displayed cards are to be handled after being played. The best statement I could find in the updated rulebook was: "[...] A displayed card keeps doing whatever it says for as long it is displayed, and it stops doing it when it’s no longer displayed." (on page 22). Nowhere is it said when it should no longer be displayed.

If I interpret your explanation correctly I can't see how reading "Display this card to ..." would have any kind of difference from "Discard this card to ...".

Is there an official answer to this?

Each card tells you when to stop displaying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
ardestat wrote:

A card that requires you to "display" it should always have an instruction on it about when to "un-display" it.

This is reflected in the official FAQ, where some cards have had their text updated:
http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk#v5748eaic9r6q
http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk#v5748eaic9r6r

In those examples, the displayed card gets discarded at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Malo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Keep an open mind; let yourself be amazed but not fooled.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed there were times (cards) when instructions weren't mentioned and relied on some default "un-display" rule instead.
I'll be looking for those instructions.

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
ardestat wrote:
I assumed there were times (cards) when instructions weren't mentioned and relied on some default "un-display" rule instead.
I'll be looking for those instructions.

Thanks guys.

To my knowledge, all currently released cards with a 'display' action have an accompanying instruction about when to stop displaying them. It's possible cards in future sets may not have such an instruction and will almost surely require errata updates via the official FAQ. I know I'll be sure to squawk about any I find

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cards originally didn't use the official word "display" they said "Place them in front of you." And some cards like Glibness, Strength and Speed originally said just to banish/discard them when playing them. That was changed to make them "display" spells since they effected the rest of the turn and it would be easier to remember they were in effect. Thus the FAQ entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.