Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a plague affect just the city/town or does it affect the surrounding area as well.

Ex: A Noble is outside a city under siege and a player draws a plague card. Do both Nobles die or only the defending Noble who is inside the city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Plague only effects the nobles IN the city/towns listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:

This is accurate but I have always wanted to alter that to not only include the "square" but each adjacent "square". Haven't been able to find anybody willing to play with that as a house rule yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
kingmaker fan wrote:
Haven't been able to find anybody willing to play with that as a house rule yet!

Lucky you! I haven't been able to find any one willing to play with Kingmaker for a very long time. In college it was one of my favorite games (other than Chess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
kingmaker fan wrote:
Haven't been able to find anybody willing to play with that as a house rule yet!

Lucky you! I haven't been able to find any one willing to play with Kingmaker for a very long time. In college it was one of my favorite games (other than Chess).

Well, your not that far maybe I can gather some folks to remedy that for you! It may have to wait until after the holidays before I can free up some time though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
kingmaker fan wrote:
chadnorth wrote:

This is accurate but I have always wanted to alter that to not only include the "square" but each adjacent "square". Haven't been able to find anybody willing to play with that as a house rule yet!

What if you randomized it a bit?
1-3 in the town only
4-5 whole zone
6 zone plus adjacent zone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:
kingmaker fan wrote:
chadnorth wrote:

What if you randomized it a bit?
1-3 in the town only
4-5 whole zone
6 zone plus adjacent zone

That might encourage them, I'll have to see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the commentary in the back of the rule book they imply that the purpose of the plague cards is to make it dangerous to sit in a city. There's a big defense advantage to staying in a city -- the big garrison -- so the plague counteracts this by adding the risk that your entire force will get wiped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saneperson wrote:
In the commentary in the back of the rule book they imply that the purpose of the plague cards is to make it dangerous to sit in a city. There's a big defense advantage to staying in a city -- the big garrison -- so the plague counteracts this by adding the risk that your entire force will get wiped out.

Yea, I just think I would like the added danger even to thoe not in the city affected.

I see you are here in Monroe. How often do you get a chance to play and could your group fit in another player on occasion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plague was much more of a problem in towns and (the few) cities than in the countryside. Having plague affect a whole square would not be historically accurate, we're not talking about the Black Death, that was 100 years earlier.

If you want to make plague more deadly but keep it thematic you could have it apply to all locations directly connected by road to the place named on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with your comments about the history, but let me add that from a game point of view, applying plague to the surrounding countryside would completely defeat the purpose of the rule.

I'm pretty sure that the reason the rule is there is this: There is a huge defense benefit to being in a town. The plague rule creates a risk to being in the town. Without the plague rule, a player could hole up in a town -- or better yet, one of the big cities -- and be almost invulnerable. But with the plague rule, the player has an incentive to get out of the city and into the countryside.

If plagues affected the country as well as cities, then the incentive to get out of the city would disappear. Instead of being part of a carefully interwoven web of pros and cons to every action, the plague rule would just be a random bolt of lightning that could strike any one at any time without warning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saneperson wrote:
I agree with your comments about the history, but let me add that from a game point of view, applying plague to the surrounding countryside would completely defeat the purpose of the rule.

I'm pretty sure that the reason the rule is there is this: There is a huge defense benefit to being in a town. The plague rule creates a risk to being in the town. Without the plague rule, a player could hole up in a town -- or better yet, one of the big cities -- and be almost invulnerable. But with the plague rule, the player has an incentive to get out of the city and into the countryside.

If plagues affected the country as well as cities, then the incentive to get out of the city would disappear. Instead of being part of a carefully interwoven web of pros and cons to every action, the plague rule would just be a random bolt of lightning that could strike any one at any time without warning.

I agree that it would weigh in your decision whether to stay in or out. However, I think the risk of plague could be strong enough to avoid the potentially affected area altogether plus the other risk to staying in is if the opponent(s) gather equal troops your only hope is bad weather. This frequently is enough to keep forces from holing up in a city/town.

But don't worry, if we end up playing together at some point (and I hope we do) plague will only apply inside!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.