Escape: The Curse of the Temple» Forums » General

Subject: Is it to easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game recently and I find it super fun! We were a group of 4 playing and everyone loved it but...we must have played, roughly, 6+ games without the modules, and then, roughly, 6+ with curses/treasures modules and then we went some more with the Professional Variant. Between all of this games we only managed to loose 1 game- the first one because the audio was to low and we lost 2 dice each because we didn't hear the drums.
Is this normal? Do you think we did something wrong (maybe a common or overpowering mistake)? Or was it high luck coupled with a decent strategy?
We basically split into two 2 of 2 in the first round, then spent that round opening doors (sometimes finding the exit in this round, even though it was one of the last 5 tiles) and maybe activating small gems. We would then activate bigger gems chambers together in the 2nd round. And if needed we would activate some more in the in the 3rd (more frequently in Professional Variant) and/or just flat runaway.

Don't get me wrong, it was still super fun and tense, playing at super speed and always in a rush and sometimes it got pretty rough but we always made it through. How have your games been fellow geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, team up usually yield a very good result since they can help each other in time of need (such as when you roll all curse). So I guess you are not playing anything wrong.

Our game is almost the same, we split in two team and try to solve anything that we found out one by one.

In the game that we lost is almost because of someone go solo alone and out of dice because rolled curse. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game gets easier with more experience. I didn't necessarily find the game too easy because of the people I played with initially. We normally had kids or new players most games.

You can make it more difficult by adding a few more gems to the mix. Also, the expansions add some complexity and variability and do increase the difficulty.

The designer has also made a series of challenges you should find in the forum or files that show how to make the game progressively most difficult. Most of the 26 challenges though require the first expansion, the second expansion, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first few games with newbies are difficult, but it gets easy quickly. Add more gems, we've settled on adding 6 additional gems and throw in every promo/expansion element so we have a huge tile stack. This seems perfectly balanced for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to tell if you're doing anything incorrectly without seeing you play. All I can suggest is the most common problems from new players...

1) in the room with multiple sets of gems to choose from, you can only do 1 of the sets... do not complete 2 or all 3 sets of gems there. Once you complete one of the gem spots in the room you can no longer do the others.

2) you can only share sun masks to clear each other's black masks if you are in the same room with them

3) you can't share dice for things other than clearing masks (the break curses, etc)

4) most importantly, remember every time someone rolls more than 3 black masks, EVERYONE in the game loses a die for the rest of the game

5) yeah, just kidding about that last one

But, yeah, if you're sure you are playing correctly (maybe watch a video of people playing?) you can always just try adding more gems to up the difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:

4) most importantly, remember every time someone rolls more than 3 black masks, EVERYONE in the game loses a die for the rest of the game

But, yeah, if you're sure you are playing correctly (maybe watch a video of people playing?) you can always just try adding more gems to up the difficulty

You almost got me with this one

Thank you all for your responses, the only rules I was getting wrong were:
1- When the door closes I was "teleporting" back home if I didn't make it back in time (and loosing a die). If anything this made it harder because most of the times it meant I would take longer to get to where I wanted.
2- When the door closes I was resetting the dice, as in, reroll all dices (even black and gold masks). This probably made it a little easier.

I will surely take a look the challenges and will add the Illusions expansion to see if it gets harder (and even more fun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
zenpunk wrote:

You almost got me with this one

Thank you all for your responses, the only rules I was getting wrong were:
1- When the door closes I was "teleporting" back home if I didn't make it back in time (and loosing a die). If anything this made it harder because most of the times it meant I would take longer to get to where I wanted.
2- When the door closes I was resetting the dice, as in, reroll all dices (even black and gold masks). This probably made it a little easier.

I will surely take a look the challenges and will add the Illusions expansion to see if it gets harder (and even more fun)

We had many ames where we got our man and key to get back but also had three black masks and two curses each. We spent two and a half mintes sorting it all out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.