Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a weird question, bec Mirala Goodtide is clearly broken from a view of non-ambiguity, so there is no absolutely correct way to play her. But let's assume we allow what the card seems to allow.

Lately, my 8yo and I have been doing lots of 2-player RB using the 3 super-heroes, unmodified: Trenloe (with his super-leveling), Hugo (with his built-in super-armor), and Mirala (with her super deal making).

Her ability reads: You may increase or decrease an Item's cost up to 3 (minimum cost of 1), whether it is an Item you have or one you wish to buy.

From that we can clearly say:
1. her power works on Items, not Allies.
2. items cost min of 1, max of cost + 3.
3. she can't buy something unless she has the min cost money upfront.

There is not clearly a limit on:
1. number of buys or sells you can do within the same turn.
2. whether you can buy or sell the same item within that turn.

So, I conclude to play Mirala correctly unnerfed - i.e., with her super-powers in full glory - as long as she can afford the item to begin with or has the item in inventory:
1. she can buy 2 - 7 gold items and sell for a profit (e.g., 2 gold items for 1, sell for (2+3)/2 = 2, net gain of 1 gold).
2. she can lose money on any item (e.g., buy 5 gold item for 8, sell for item for 2, net loss of 6).
3. she can do this as many times as she wants within the same market step.

So, the way this would play out, she would need to get enough gold to buy a 2 - 7 gold item, then as long as she doesn't lose that:
1. she can go into any market and just take all the Items from that market, subject to holding limits (2 weapon, 1 armor etc).
2. she could also go into any market and increase her gold holdings to any level.
3. she could also go into any market and lower her gold holdings until she can no longer afford to buy the item back again (something close to but not quite zero).

The player using her would need to clearly specify how much gold she is holding, bec that can affect certain cards or affect her value as a PvP target.

Does this sound about right?

Yes, this is crazy powerful, but that's why she's one of the Super Friends in the Hall of Justice. And don't forget that Hugo's armor is much better than 15 gold Rune Plate, and activation limits are still in play, as are the need to move from town to town (just hope she don't get Teleport) and waste turns on market steps to generate items to vacuum up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ,

Quote:
Purchase and Selling

Players may only purchase and sell each item once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
From the FAQ,

Quote:
Purchase and Selling

Players may only purchase and sell each item once per turn.

Beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh that's a pretty big limitation, never noticed that one in the faq. I'm wondering how overpowered she really is then, compared to H and T.

i guess we'll find out obviously... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy and sell for a profit each turn but you are limited to what is in the market or the Gnome is carrying.

The problem with the Gnome is that she is annoying to all the other players and if you spend the entire game in town doing nothing but buying and selling, then the other players should all come over and play wack the Gnome until all her good stuff comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, it's really annoying to have Trenloe with twice as many level ups as your guy, i'll tell you what... angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
well, it's really annoying to have Trenloe with twice as many level ups as your guy, i'll tell you what... angry

True but at least Trenloe goes adventuring. The Gnome might as well be playing some Euro game pushing little wood cubes around.

I don't think Trenloe is that broken if you playing a 2 person game (4XP a level up for him) or if you are using Frozen Wastes leveling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The gnome does require an item 5 or less to come out in the first market step otherwise it can be a bit painful.

Plus side, makes for quick turns whistle

--
O and bonus points for "She's broken because I misread the rules"

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.