Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
AIYP troops,

Time passes quickly, and some of you politely pointed out that it's been a month since our last update. So here I am:

When producing a game, some parts are fun and some are tedious. Right now, the fun parts are mostly over and we're stuck with the tedious job of making sure our hundreds of rulebook and reference book pages are streamlined and consistent with the hundreds of cards from the game. Since most game components are explained in the various reference books, the slightest change on a card necessitates many adjustments to all the various references to that card. I'm talking maximum anal retentive fun, here.

So Jacob (our editor), Rik and me are sending emails to each other most every day discussing and suggesting lots of little edits and tweaks. Meanwhile, Nikos, a graphic artist from the Up Front team, is working on the art for the various boxes (the 4 set boxes, the tin boxes and the big box). For the big box cover, we decided to take a very cool photograph that necessitated a rented uniform and some custom-made patches for the game logo. It will look awesome.

Currently, we are proofing the Easy Company reference book (which is surprisingly big) and finalizing the base game's 4 reference books (and the main rulebook). All locations are finalized, all Event cards are done (170 of them, each containing a lot of text!), Item cards (more than 300!) are all laid out, and the art (except for the boxes) is finished and ready to go.

Of course, things are not moving as fast as we want them to: I'm extra busy finishing writing the 2nd season of my TV show (the first draft of the season finale is due this Tuesday), Rik is swamped with his new job and so is our editor. But we are getting there. I'm disappointed with the delay because I have family coming over at Christmas and I REALLY wanted to give them my game as a present, but I cannot, and will not, put out a rushed game full of typos and mistakes.

So thank you all for your patience (or lack of, in some cases ), and know that this mighty project is still moving forward. We may not have planned it this way, but the game will come out in 2014, just in time for the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings. Which is something we'll commemorate in the form of a small gift for all our supporters (it's a surprise, so don't ask).

That's it for now. Hopefully, next update will be to announce that everything's finished. And that the Allies have landed.

Carry on!

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Emmanuel!

Glad to hear things are progressing. Still bummed that I won't have it this year, but at least it's something to look forward to after the holidays.

Hope we can see some updated images soon.

Keep up the "fun" work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mb
Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Really looking forward to this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goddammit! Quality and on time delivery are not mutually exclusive!
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiral wrote:

Of course, things are not moving as fast as we want them to: I'm extra busy finishing writing the 2nd season of my TV show (the first draft of the season finale is due this Tuesday), Rik is swamped with his new job and so is our editor.

I'm not a backer, but if I were I wouldn't be too understanding of your TV show taking precedence over work that I paid for over 14 months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiral wrote:

Of course, things are not moving as fast as we want them to: I'm extra busy finishing writing the 2nd season of my TV show (the first draft of the season finale is due this Tuesday), Rik is swamped with his new job and so is our editor. But we are getting there. I'm disappointed with the delay because I have family coming over at Christmas and I REALLY wanted to give them my game as a present, but I cannot, and will not, put out a rushed game full of typos and mistakes.

E

Emmanuel, I don't understand the comment that has been emphasized in bold.

Do you consider over 14 months to be a rushed product?

Does your TV show writing have time dependent deliverables?
If so, are those deliverables met or is more time given without firm delivery commitments?
If the TV time deliverables are met, does that mean that the TV show writing is full of typos and mistakes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick,

The guy is giving a decent and honest update and you are giving him a hard time AND you're not even a backer.
Nice one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
Patrick,

The guy is giving a decent and honest update and you are giving him a hard time AND you're not even a backer.
Nice one.

Maybe it is because I am not a backer that I am able to look at this a little more objectively.

Saying I am giving him a hard time does not lessen the validity of my comments or questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got renewed for a second season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What TV show is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P_J_Keller wrote:
JBTheChamp wrote:
Patrick,

Nice one.

Maybe it is because I am not a backer that I am able to look at this a little more objectively.

Saying I am giving him a hard time does not lessen the validity of my comments or questions.
I think you may have objectively missed the part about him not being a full time game publisher. This game is something he has created and developed as part of his hobby. His actually "full-time pays the rent" job is as a TV writer. Sometimes real life interferes with hobby time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was anybody actually planning on updating on the KS page? What about the comment many months ago saying if we didn't like how it was being handled to just send a message to get a refund? I've been asking for months to no response.

I don't care what your reasons for delay are. If you cannot be honest and open with the people who handed over $102,000 of their hard earned dollars to you, I have no further reason to keep with social niceties.

I don't care about the game anymore, to hell with your surprise gift for supporters, I actually don't even want my money back any more. I'd be perfectly happy with the same amount being donated to the Pueblo Air Museum at http://www.pwam.org/. They have a B-29 on display here and are always in need of donations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
P_J_Keller wrote:
JBTheChamp wrote:
Patrick,

Nice one.

I think you may have objectively missed the part about him not being a full time game publisher. This game is something he has created and developed as part of his hobby. His actually "full-time pays the rent" job is as a TV writer. Sometimes real life interferes with hobby time.

Nope - didn't miss that

If this project, that you are encouraging people to back, is not high on your list of priorities that needs to be disclosed in the risk and challenge portion of kickstarter.

Once money was received from supporters it exceeded the boundaries of being just a hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
P_J_Keller wrote:
JBTheChamp wrote:
Patrick,

Nice one.

Did anyone get to pay in "hobby money?" Do they have $102,000 in Monopoly money or is it actual cash that they took under pretense of being able to produce a game in a reasonable amount of time? Was there anywhere in the Kickstarter where they said, "This is only a hobby for us and we will produce the game whenever we get around to it and that might be a year or two or even more down the road?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are valid points on both sides.
- raising $102,000 does imply a certain level of responsibility and commitment to the project
- by funding any kick starter you are accepting certain risk that are you giving your hard earned money to a person or persons that dont make games full time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Many large game companies (Queen, SJG, etc) use Kickstarter, for better or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Many large game companies (Queen, SJG, etc) use Kickstarter, for better or worse.

True.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Tibbs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Amiral wrote:

That's it for now. Hopefully, next update will be to announce that everything's finished. And that the Allies have landed.

Hopefully, since you said exactly the same thing on August 29th about shipping in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CFDEngine15 wrote:
Hopefully, since you said exactly the same thing on August 29th about shipping in September.

And before that, from the May 24th update:

"As the game nears completion, and gets ready to be sent to the printer (next month)..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the kickstarter package for folks to fund the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
martimer wrote:
P_J_Keller wrote:
JBTheChamp wrote:
Patrick,

Nice one.

Sorry, but once you receive over 100 grand from supporters for a game that is 8 months late, and the excuses just keep coming and there is no date on when we will get this game, then no, it's not really a hobby anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Nichols
msg tools
AnglePark wrote:
CFDEngine15 wrote:

"As the game nears completion, and gets ready to be sent to the printer (next month)..."

Thanks for bringing this up too...I was under the impression that we were very close to having the game printed and then shipped. Now from this latest update, we are looking at June 2014?

What....the....frak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MightyMeeple wrote:
AnglePark wrote:
CFDEngine15 wrote:

Thanks for bringing this up too...I was under the impression that we were very close to having the game printed and then shipped. Now from this latest update, we are looking at June 2013?

What....the....frak?

Actually it will be around June 2014.

Quote:
We may not have planned it this way, but the game will come out in 2014, just in time for the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Allies were actually this slow in landing the Germans would've won.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
Nice one.

What is "honest" about this post or this guy? I just see another vapid update with no pictures showing any evidence of any work.

When myself and others see our refunds, then I will even begin to consider the word "honest".

As for Patrick Keller, good for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.