Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my second game of Combat Commander tonight and this time it was with another newbie, so we didn't have an experienced player to lean on. Anyway, I don't think we were playing weapons correctly, but after 5-10 minutes of trying to make heads or tails of the examples of play in the Pacific rulebook we just made a decision and moved on.

Our main issue, when there is a squad firing a weapon (say a medium mg) at semi close range such that the hex being fired on is within range of the squad and the mg, how does the firepower add up?

Simple example, a 5FP squad firing a 6FP weapon at an in range of both hex. Is the FP 11 (both added together) or 7 (6 for the weapon and a bonus 1 for the squad as a group)?

Changing the example to a 5FP squad holding a Thompson (2 FP). Would it be Squad 5 + Tommie 2 = 7 or Squad 5 + fire group from Tommie bonus 1 = 6?

I hope that's clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each counter beyond the first in a fire group adds +1 FP. So if you had a 6fp weapon on a 5fp squad you could choose to fire the squad at 5 fp, +1 for the weapon, or the weapon at 6 fp +1 for the squad.

You could also choose to fire the squad and the weapon separately for two attacks since the weapon is activated. This is useful when you are defending the scenario defender and want to cycle cards for example.

So your second example in both cases is correct.

Cheers!

Edit: clarity, see post below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are figuring the firepower of a Firegroup you pick either a Unit or Weapon for the primary firepower. Every other unit or weapon that is activated and in range of the target will add one point to that firegroup if they fire at the same time. So a leader with a command of 2 in the same hex as a 5 FP Squad, a 3 FP Team with an 8 FP machinegun could activate that hex (and any or all hexes within 2 hexes) with a Fire Action. You would most likely choose the 8 FP MG as the primary, so the attack would add up as: 8 (MG) + 2 (Leadership) + 1 (Squad) + 1 (Team). Any other units or weapons in range (and LOS) of the target in other hexes (contiguously adjacent to another hex with firing units in that Firegroup) could all add 1 point each in that fire attack.

Actually the rules should be clearer than my explanation, specifically O20.3.1.2. It reads:

"The total FP of a Fire Group is X+Y, where X is the FP of one firing piece and Y is the number of other firing pieces [see "C" in the Fire Attack example on the following page]."

A piece is a Squad, a Team, a Leader, or a Weapon (not Ordnance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies, crystal clear now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Each counter beyond the first in a fire group adds +1 FP. So if you had a 6fp weapon on a 5fp squad you could choose to fire the squad at 5 fp, +1 for the weapon, or the weapon at 6 fp +1 for the squad.

You could also choose to fire the squad and the weapon separately for two attacks since the weapon is activated. This is useful when you are defending and want to cycle cards for example.

Cheers!

But, keep in mind A33.3 point 3: No more than one Fire Attack may be made by the inactive player per MP expenditure by the active player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:
Jacovis wrote:

You could also choose to fire the squad and the weapon separately for two attacks since the weapon is activated. This is useful when you are defending and want to cycle cards for example.

Cheers!

But, keep in mind A33.3 point 3: No more than one Fire Attack may be made by the inactive player per MP expenditure by the active player.

Yes, but I was referring to being a scenario defender, not op-firing, for which you are correct. I've clarified my post, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.