Subject: [Deck] Backdoor Whizzard [2nd Place GEG Tournament] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am overly please with how this deck ran. I don't think my opponents scored more than 10 total points against him (over 4 rounds).

Needless to say, he was undefeated over the 4 rounds played, including winning a game from the overall winner in round 4 (preventing his perfect 8-0) . I felt confident that the deck would perform nearly as well as my Andromeda deck. Whizzard had been 6-1 with this build in octgn testing beforehand iirc.

My operation-based NBN: TWIY rush/FA did less well, splitting at 2-2, but the strength of Whizzard carried me into the top 2 out of a strong field of 18 competitors!

Backdoor Whizzard (45 cards)

Whizzard: Master Gamer

Event (12)
3 Deja Vu
3 Quality Time •••
3 Sure Gamble
1 Demolition Run
1 Surge
1 Vamp

Hardware (4)
2 Grimoire
2 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (10)
3 Daily Casts
3 Liberated Account
2 Professional Contacts ••••
2 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (5)
1 Corroder
1 Crypsis
1 Mimic
1 Wyrm
1 Yog.0

Program (14)
3 Datasucker
3 Djinn
3 Parasite
2 Sneakdoor Beta ••••• •
1 Sahasrara ••
1 Medium
1 Nerve Agent

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

___

The Big Idea: All decks should start with a big idea. An overall gameplan that your deck and playstyle should support. I'm a Criminal player at heart (c'mon, Andromeda would be a cool name for a daughter ), so the deck had to support constant aggression. Sneakdoor beta, big econ, parasite and big card draw make sure the runs never have to stop.

Why not Noise?: Noise makes sneakdoor less valuable because corps tend to ice archives against him regardless. Whizzard also supports my playstyle of aggression. Consider-
Whizzard makes you rethink plopping down an asset unprotected. He eats jackson for breakfast and sansan for a snack. Whizzard changes the way you play as corp, whether you like it or not.

Card Choices
"Quality Time is my tutor". Playing x3 QT and x2 Pro Cons proved to be plenty of card draw, combined with djinn, I was never digging for too long.

Only 5 Icebreakers - Damon says end the run ice is a crutch, I say icebreakers are a crutch! Feed them to the parasites and suckers.

One-Ofs (Demo Run, Surge, Vamp)
Properly timed, each of these cards is devastating and game changing.
Combined with x2 Same Old Thing, and lots of card draw, it's reasonable to see and use 2 / 3 of them a game, and they swing big when they do. I feel like they lose their efficiency with more copies, because they can be totally dead unlike the other cards in the deck (but they might not be dead later. SoT to the rescue!)

No Stimhacks
I've just never been a big fan. It's too easy to bait/waste. I don't run paid-credit ability cards like smc, clonechip or personal workshop so I feel like it's effect is wasted here. I'd rather parasite the ice.

Sneakdoor
Always played at the beginning of a turn (possibly with a nerve agent/datasuckers out), sneakdoor will have a VERY good chance to hit an agenda with whizzard. Consider - corps tend to install assets to waste runner credits breaking ice, see what the runner is capable of, and to give themselves a window to score. It's not easy to make Whizzard waste his money if he doesn't want to.
Whizzard makes incredible use of sneakdoor, imo.

Piloting the deck
Run. Always run on the first turn against double-ice hq/r&d. HQ first, I like to get a feel for how fast the protect the agendas in their hand (or say nah, w/e no agendas here). I'll probe a couple times if they refuse to rez. Next r&d, if they didn't get any agendas in their first 6, r&d is due, see how willing they are to protect it.

Leverage the ability of Whizzard to it's fullest extent, pressure r&d and hq HARD. Then wait for the perfect moment to drop the sneakdoor. If you ain't running you ain't trashing, and there's something wrong with that.

PSA: Quality time is a net damage shield.

Try to keep a full hand, a full hand means options, less risk, and quicker recovery from both "whoopsies" and "ouchies". Don't be afraid to djinn for medium, nerve agent, or parasite to punish a failure to protect centrals, or for protecting with cheap-etr ice (abundant in this meta of rush/fa).

Save cards for when you need them, except econ, play all the econ right away.

Having a large stockpile of credits is incredible leverage to force corps to think twice about slapping an APP behind a chimera. No deck is without faults and weaknesses, but I tried to engineer the deck to adapt as best it could.

I think that just about wraps it up! Give it a try, you might enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
rancho cordova
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also was there and did awful with my midnight special deck. I was wondering what you were playing coz you seemed to be done fast every round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneider
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks interesting.

I would worry about econ, you have only 9 "burst" cards and 2 pro contacts, but there's a lot of fairly high-cost programs and events. I guess it's not as big a worry with datasuckers & cheap breakers? Do you find that you suffer early game if you don't start with Pro contacts? (or if you do, and don't draw into any burst econ, which seems to happen to me in all my pro contacts decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
As a fellow Whizzard player that runs Sneakdoor, trust me when I say you only need one. The Sahasrara isn't pulling it's weight in this deck either.

Instead replace them with a couple Emergency Shutdown, which pairs beautifully with Sneakdoor and Whizzard's economy denial antics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jigoku81 wrote:
I also was there and did awful with my midnight special deck. I was wondering what you were playing coz you seemed to be done fast every round

That is a product of my aggressive playstyle and "rigorous" octgn training.

aschneid wrote:
Looks interesting.

I would worry about econ, you have only 9 "burst" cards and 2 pro contacts, but there's a lot of fairly high-cost programs and events. I guess it's not as big a worry with datasuckers & cheap breakers? Do you find that you suffer early game if you don't start with Pro contacts? (or if you do, and don't draw into any burst econ, which seems to happen to me in all my pro contacts decks).

Econ was actually always good for me. I sat around 15 credits most of the time. I don't like to spend my initial 5 credits unless it's on more econ, so I'll typically mulligan for at least ONE of pro con, lib accounts or sure gamble. From there, I try to keep a full hand, and having about 1/5 econ means about 1/5 cards I draw will be econ (plus the 1$ from pro cons.

I didn't draw pro con in one of the games (I tend to get through about 1/2 my deck in a single game). Quality Time and liberated accounts pick up the slack pretty well.

Looking forward, I might add dirty laundry, but I'm not sure yet.

Lysander1 wrote:
As a fellow Whizzard player that runs Sneakdoor, trust me when I say you only need one. The Sahasrara isn't pulling it's weight in this deck either.

Instead replace them with a couple Emergency Shutdown, which pairs beautifully with Sneakdoor and Whizzard's economy denial antics.

I tried x1 on octgn but found that it wasn't reliable enough. I didn't miss the extra influence too bad. (If I do drop one, I'd like to test a Levy-AR Lab Access) There were definitely times I could have used a shutdown, but I usually opted to parasite those ice anyways. (One game, I parasited 2 Heimdall 2.0 to death.)

I never got to play sahasrara at the tournament. In octgn testing, getting it out in the first 5-6 turns netted me around 10-12$ a game, helping me run more and worry about econ less.

I'll definitely try an E-shutdown version.

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
OddCrow19 wrote:
Next r&d, if they didn't get any agendas in their first 6, r&d is due

There's a small amount of valid point here and a large amount of gambler's fallacy. If the corp's first 6 draws really are agenda-free you might go from a ~20% chance of topdecking an agenda on R&D to a ~23% chance -- it's not that big a jump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is pretty much the first Whizzard deck I built, right after Nerve Agent came out. At the time, every single other runner was giving them a reason to ice archives (Gabe, Noise, Kate/Chaos likely splashed Sneak for Test Run). Definitely better now that you can use QT instead of having to splash multiple Test Run.

Imp is pretty hilarious when you access the entire hand, and I definitely like the idea of E Shutdown or even Forged to get Parasite out without a facecheck. Hard to make cuts from that list, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
OddCrow19 wrote:

There's a small amount of valid point here and a large amount of gambler's fallacy. If the corp's first 6 draws really are agenda-free you might go from a ~20% chance of topdecking an agenda on R&D to a ~23% chance -- it's not that big a jump.

But at that point, the odds of scoring are less important than preventing the Corp from getting an Agenda into HQ at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
fbush555 wrote:
OddCrow19 wrote:

Fair enough. But 1/5 chance to closer to 1/4 is a decent jump, and making the corp spend money is always good.

dangerouslycheesy wrote:
This is pretty much the first Whizzard deck I built, right after Nerve Agent came out. At the time, every single other runner was giving them a reason to ice archives (Gabe, Noise, Kate/Chaos likely splashed Sneak for Test Run). Definitely better now that you can use QT instead of having to splash multiple Test Run.

Imp is pretty hilarious when you access the entire hand, and I definitely like the idea of E Shutdown or even Forged to get Parasite out without a facecheck. Hard to make cuts from that list, though.

I tried Imp at x3 initially, then x2, then x1, then cut altogether. I just found that imp was too unreliable, I was always waiting for the perfect moment to use him, and there never was a perfect moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.