United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Integrated my Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion with the rest of the previous 2 expansions and the base game. It wasn't as simple as just sleeving the Daybreak (Day) exp, as those cards have pristine sleeves, while the previous cards' sleeves were noticeably beat up, dented, or grimy in spots. I compromised and just replaced all of the loyalty cards with brand new sleeves (18 human cards, 5 Final Five, 8 Personal Goals, 7 cylon cards, and 1 Mutineer card). Being able to tell these apart can warp gameplay dramatically. As for the rest of the game, I ended up NOT resleeving the whole shebang (I didn't think ahead and order enough sleeves for that, but I was likely NOT gonna even if I did). I used some new sleeves, but randomly switched an old card with a new sleeve and used the older sleeve on a new card at random moments to keep more astute observers from being able to tell if a card is from the Day exp as opposed to just being a non-Day expansion card.

Push come to shove, it's not a game that'll get played that often, let alone with the same group, so I doubt anyone would've gleamed that knowledge and abused it. However, it's a bit of a downer to know that the "safe and straight way" to play it would've been to resleeve EVERYTHING with a new set of sleeves

Had I not sleeved? Cards could've been marked and replacing the whole deck would've been a bigger headache, although the "meh" attitude could still work here given some situations.

Since I'm on a game buying freeze, the only other case I'd have to think about is if Race For The Galaxy: Alien Artifacts comes out. However, I may end up just rebuying the base game again to mix with AA for consistency in whether or not I'll sleeve (probably yes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the whole point of sleeving cards to provide a disposable ablative protection mechanism?

Just replace all the sleeves and have done with it.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I used some new sleeves, but randomly switched an old card with a new sleeve and used the older sleeve on a new card

This is exactly what I did. About half of the new crisis cards are in new sleeves, so the Daybreak/other distinction is obfuscated well enough.

It may take another half a dozen games for the skill card sleeves to lose their difference, but already the difference is not very obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just jump up and down on the new ones a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play in the dark. No one will notice....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of those problems that will work itself out over time. Mixing it up is a great idea as you've already done. I wouldn't sweat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Never ever trust sleeve-tards. They're often hot tempered, argumentative and overly protective of laughably sh*te material goods.

Go on, ask any sleeve-tard to tell you a joke - they won't be able to because they'll be too busy driving to Asda to save 0.01p on petrol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Had I not sleeved? Cards could've been marked

This is what sleevers say, yet I don't sleeve and don't recall ever having problems with marked cards in my games with cards.

Sleeving seems to be a hobby in its own right. Sleevers should just enjoy their hobby without feeling the need to rationalize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
It's one of those problems that will work itself out over time. Mixing it up is a great idea as you've already done. I wouldn't sweat it.

Agreed, as long as you can't identify cards it's irrelevant.

Playing poker with two cards with bent corners is a problem. Playing with 20 cards with bent corners isn't really an issue. (I'm not trying to argue this holds for competitive play, only for home play).

Mixing up the new and old sleeves as you have done should really eliminate the problem as far as I'm concerned.

With all the games I have sleeved (No not all of them, only games where cards get a lot of shuffling or hand holding), it wouldn't be practical to re-sleave for every new expansion, as it'll likely cost close to, or same as the game or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way I look at it. Either there are just a few cards and it doesn't really matter if they get a bit worn, or there are many and I might as well just buy a new copy of the game rather than investing the time and money in sleeving them (I bought Thunderstone and WotE recently, there's no way I'm sleeving them). Even cards that get shuffled a lot, I don't worry about it.
Disclaimer: I don't play competitively, I don't play CCGs or anything where a single card costs more than a few cents.
I understand and respect that people want to sleeve - more power to them. Just not my priority, and I think that the risk is overstated in most situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
That's the way I look at it. Either there are just a few cards and it doesn't really matter if they get a bit worn, or there are many and I might as well just buy a new copy of the game rather than investing the time and money in sleeving them (I bought Thunderstone and WotE recently, there's no way I'm sleeving them). Even cards that get shuffled a lot, I don't worry about it.
Disclaimer: I don't play competitively, I don't play CCGs or anything where a single card costs more than a few cents.
I understand and respect that people want to sleeve - more power to them. Just not my priority, and I think that the risk is overstated in most situations.

When it comes to the point of having to replace a game because of roughed-up cards, you'd better hope its not something thats been out of print for over 10 years, is unlikekly to ever be reprinted and fetches extortionist prices on ebay. Then you'd wish you *had* sleeved your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jez2k wrote:
dtcarson wrote:

When it comes to the point of having to replace a game because of roughed-up cards, you'd better hope its not something thats been out of print for over 10 years, is unlikekly to ever be reprinted and fetches extortionist prices on ebay. Then you'd wish you *had* sleeved your cards.

There are so many games out there that I can play that I won't be that heartbroken over it. Most of time a deck wears evenly anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.