10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me with my Christmas List rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miss Lizee
msg tools
mb
Hey guys! I'm still pretty new to this and I was hoping for some recommendations for my Christmas list.

I got Carcassonne last Christmas which I enjoy (as does everyone we've asked to play with us) and we also have a few expansions for this (Inns and Cathedrals, Princess and the Dragon).

With Carcassonne, I like that we can play 2 player but that we can also easily play 4-6 with it and it's quite a different game. I like that a new player can win if they're lucky enough and that luck plays enough of a part to even out the odds, but that if you're clever you can still win with some bad luck.

The other games we have bought since then are as follows:

Smallworld (I don't love this, I can't say why... just never choose to play it, i find it a bit uninvolved)

Ticket to Ride Europe - love this; again, theres an element of luck and some scheming, but no outright sabotage. usually play as 2,3 or 4.

Avalon - LOVE this game - we played it a group of 7/8 last night and it was just sooo much fun! I love that you can't trust anyone and you have to think everyone's moves through to try and work them out. not often we have 5+ players though :s some real logic involved, probably my favourite game at the moment.

Love Story - this is ok for a short game, it's handy to have in the bag

Zombie Dice - this is ok, a bit too simple.

Hanabi - I can't hold enough information in my head at a time to really be any good at this game

Forbidden Island - only played as a 2 on the ipad version, it was ok, not something i loved

I've got Kingdom Builder on the ipad which I enjoy, but my hb is not so keen so I usually just play against the AI.

So.. what I'm looking for is a game for probably 2-6 players, with a mixture of both luck and strategy. something that you feel involved even when it's not your turn - i like that ticket to ride and avalon make me feel a bit nervous all the way through! haha

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmb
Ok - here we go...

Thurn & Taxis - similar experience of Ticket to Ride, but for some reason I think the gameplay is more enjoyable

Guildhall - a 2 - 4 player card game, large amount of player interaction, plays in about an hour, and has been one of the most satisfying games I've introduced to my gaming groups, and hits the table almost every week. At first glance it appears the game is about set collection, but then a realization sets in about the card interactions and playing off other players - which creates a really unique experience. With a low price point, I'd suggest picking it up and giving it a go.

One of my favorites that is relatively unknown to most gaming groups is Ys. You can expand to 5 players with the YS+ expansion. The reason I LOVE this game is because of semi-blind bidding and the tension - "oh, I wonder what they placed there? Should I increase my bid, or bluff?" and then the realization that someone bluffed you and you spent all your high value workers on an area that they placed a worker with a "0" value...uggghhh! The last group I introduced this to, 1 of the 3 other players bought the game the next day. Looks are deceiving, and this game has to be played to be experienced.

Letters from Whitechapel - a great Cat & mouse game with very high tension for the player that is Jack the Ripper. All the near misses with the police players is also highly satisfying. Plays with 2-6 players.

Alhambra is one of the games that I can get my non-gaming wife to play. Plays 2-6 players, and is about set collection of buildings, the catch is to build the tiles so that the walls connect. Elements of luck exist because of the money and tile draws, but there is plenty of strategy here as well. If you do decide to get this, I'd recommend the Big Box version - simply because if you like the game and buy 1 expansion that it's about the same amount of money as the big box, and you're getting all expansions for the game.

Tsuro of the Seas - a nice tile laying game that plays a good amount of players. Idea is to be the last player standing on the board. This can have some downtime with players that have been eliminated, but generally the game plays quick. Good amount of luck and dice rolling to determine movement of dragons on the board, which can cause player elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Miss Lizee,

Upon a Fable is a game on my wish list that looks like it may work well for your playing group. It works well from 1-6 players, and plays up to 8 with its expansion.
Each new round. players draw three blind cards that contain certain goals that award points if they're achieved. They must keep one, discard one, and pass the third to another player. This is where I see some luck, similar to to Ticket to Ride where there's luck in drawing route and ticket cards. In addition, there's player interaction, where you're passing along these goal cards to the other players, directly affecting their game play.
The game also utilizes the very interactive worker placement mechanic, where unique actions are selected by each of the players. Because these action spots are limited, tension exists as to see who's going to get the actions they'd like to use.
Here's a run through of the game by one of my favorite video bloggers..

Keyflower (another game on my wish list) looks like a fun & interactive game for 2-6 players. It involves quite a few game mechanics, some of which are tile placement, worker placement, set collection, auction-bidding, and pick-up & deliver. What's really interesting is the innovative and interactive way players can use their meeples for either taking actions or bidding for tiles. Players can also place their meeples on other's tiles to gain resources. Good player interaction here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miss Lizee
msg tools
mb
I really like the look of letters from whitechapel, looks like it might be a bit hard to get hold of in the uk but i'll keep looking. alhambra is also now on my wishlist, as is tsuro!! thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter is small, quick, good looking and nice game. You definitely should try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
MissLizee wrote:

So.. what I'm looking for is a game for probably 2-6 players, with a mixture of both luck and strategy. something that you feel involved even when it's not your turn - i like that ticket to ride and avalon make me feel a bit nervous all the way through! haha

This reminds me of Room 25.
I just played co-op and solo though.
"Suspicion mode" is supposed to be good.

Another great one in the same vein (even if I got my impression right, of what you are searching for, I do not think it is worth it to get both) is Saboteur.
The miners try and build a path to the gold, while the saboteurs want to stop them. The roles are kept secret, like in Avalon.
Three... games... like this (with roles shuffled between each) make up one full game. At the end of that the player with most points win. (I hope what I wrote can be understood. )
Saboteur plays 3-10; adding the expansion Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) you can play 2-12.
I never played with the expansion so I will not comment on that.
In Europe you should be able to get a bundle with both cheap.
I believe in the USA they are available only as separate packages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels, like Avalon, is an amazing value proposition in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey W
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Libertalia is a great 3-6 player game. Seasons is fun with 2, but only plays up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beatles wrote:
Seasons is fun with 2, but only plays up to 4.

And, IMHO, not as good with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.