Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My in-laws like to get the kids gifts in a single theme for all the kids. Last year everyone got sleeping bags. My wife and I were thinking about nerf guns or board games for this year.

I need suggestions for games for different ages. I have a few possible ideas.

11 year old boy - possibly munchkin
8(boy) - Marvel Legendary
6(boy) - forbidden island
4 (girl) - ???

These are just the first ideas that came to mind. I'm looking for more suggestions for each child based on age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island may be a tad meaty for a 6 year old. Look at Zooloretto: The Dice Game. I see you have Zooloretto proper. The dice version is smaller, faster, but still quite fun.

For the 8 year old, I think I would replace Marvel Legendary with King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Forbidden Island may be a tad meaty for a 6 year old. Look at Zooloretto: The Dice Game. I see you have Zooloretto proper. The dice version is smaller, faster, but still quite fun.

For the 8 year old, I think I would replace Marvel Legendary with King of Tokyo.

Agreed. Give Marvel Legendary to the 11 year old. One thing you want to consider, with that age range of kids, if you pick carefully, you can get games that the older 3 can all play together, or at least the older 2 and the third can join in soon. Munchkin might be too much for the younger ones, but the 11 year old should enjoy Marvel Legendary just as much as Munchkin. And everyone likes King of Tokyo :-)

I'd suggest Sleepy Princess and the Pea for the 4 year old. It's about $25 on Amazon right now, so should be fairly easy to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few ideas for the 4 year old, same age as my daughter:

Richard Scarry's Busytown: Busy, Busy Airport Game
Max

Checked you list and would have suggested Chicken Cha Cha Cha, but you already have it and see its value.

I agree with switching out King of Tokyo for Legendary. Good idea. And I personally hate Munchkin so wouldn't give it to my kids. As you already have Pandemic, and someone suggested Forbidden Island, you could go more co-op I night suggest Escape: The Curse of the Temple or Flash Point: Fire Rescue for the older ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal is a good game for the youngest one that everyone else can still enjoy too.

edit: My 6yo's love Castle Panic as well. That could be another choice, and would get you a coop game in the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castellan is a good choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Animal Upon Animal is a good game for the youngest one that everyone else can still enjoy too.

edit: My 6yo's love Castle Panic as well. That could be another choice, and would get you a coop game in the mix.

I have both of these, and also agree they are good suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
pfctsqr wrote:
Forbidden Island may be a tad meaty for a 6 year old.

6 is a strange age. Some kids struggle with site words and counting to 100 while others are reading Harry Potter and square roots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Mr_Dove wrote:
These are just the first ideas that came to mind. I'm looking for more suggestions for each child based on age.
Do they typically play the games with friends, among themselves, or as a whole family?

My 4 year old can play (poorly) most of the games that my 7 year old enjoys.

And to throw another theme into the mix - Lego sets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they might all play and enjoy Loopin' Louie

and you might look at Gulo Gulo for the youger ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppe
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played croc! with two three-year olds and a 5 year old and they all liked it.
If you play it with adults only, it would be more tactical and a good game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3.5-year-old likes Hey, That's My Fish! in addition to the standard toddler fare.

My 8-year-old loves Sentinels of the Multiverse, Dungeon!, and would like to play Scotland Yard more than we get to.

I'm another who wouldn't give Munchkin to anybody I didn't want to have die a horrible screaming death, and maybe not even then. (I love the art and the jokes, but the fun-to-price ratio is WAY out of whack for my taste.)

Blatant plug: I write a monthly-ish column for a local-to-me parenting blog at chambanamoms.com on the topic of hobby games. They're quasi-reviews, but directed at people who know little to nothing about games outside what they can find at their big-box store of choice. You might get ideas there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Under

This really is the one you want. Our 4 year old loves it and we all play it with her - my 7 year old daughter, 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter. I don't love it but it's basically a memory game so I don't even need to handicap myself. It might be the game that's gotten more play than any other in my collection, save Catan. My 4 year old will pull it out and set it up and then start recruiting people to play with her, which is very fun to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
they might all play and enjoy Loopin' Louie

and you might look at Gulo Gulo for the youger ones.

Loopin' Louie for all of them! And the adults, too! if you look around, you will see many favorable reviews for all ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate all the suggestions so far. Munchkin is in the list because my wife really enjoyed it when we played it (even though the game went on for too long). She said that we should get it and I said "yes dear".

How about King of Tokyo for the whole family? It's never been on my radar until today. I figure the 4 year old can roll the dice and participate in the monster antics even if she doesn't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
For the four year old, I recommend Maskenball der Käfer
I have played int with the kids in my daycare, and even I find it quite funny, seeing if the lady bugs want to kiss. It`s also funny seeing their faces when they play.

Finders keepers! is fun for everyone, and I have heared a lot of good things about Zoowaboo. Then you also have Pack & Stack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Mr_Dove wrote:
How about King of Tokyo for the whole family? It's never been on my radar until today. I figure the 4 year old can roll the dice and participate in the monster antics even if she doesn't understand.

My 4 year old understands the game and can play along, but is usually the first one out because she refuses to leave Tokyo to heal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We decided on King of Tokyo for our 4 year old. My wife and I discussed replacing our mangled copy of chicken cha cha cha but decided against it. Our daughter won't be able to immediately play King of Tokyo but she loves to roll dice and the rest of the family will enjoy playing it with her. It might have been tough to get the older siblings to play chicken cha cha cha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a somewhat similar situation to you (my son is 11 and my daughters are 8 and 3.5).

One of my son's favorite games is Marvel Legendary, he even plays it solo.
I would also definitely recommend the expansion Legendary: Dark City as well. It adds some much needed difficulty to the game.
My daughter also plays this game, and can hold her own.

His other favorites are:
Race for the Galaxy (which I would not recommend for younger kids).
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small + Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – More Buildings Big and Small which my daughter also loves to play (only 2p however).
Kingsburg (Could be played by your 8 year old).
Galaxy Trucker (I don't really like this game, the ship building is fun but it is a long game to play with kids. My daughter can take or leave it.)

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a fun family game that my daughter loves.
However you are eating one anothers meeples so it will depend on how well your kids would handle this.
My kids laugh and really get into it.

Summoner Wars: Master Set is a great value and both my kids love it, I think it would be a great gift for the 8 year old.
There is tons of depth, but the mechanics are very straight forward.
You can play this game using simple tactics and still have a blast.

LAst suggestion for the 8 and 11 year old: 7 Wonders, I will admit the hype scared me away for a while. But this will be a game you can enjoy as your kids get older as it goes to 7 players but still plays in a 1/2 hour.

Forbidden Island is the game that got my family addicted to board games.
My daughter was 6 (close to 7) when we started to play and she did great.
Since it was a co-op we could all work together and she didn't get stressed out or discouraged. Great intro family game that is cheap for the amazing components you get. Highly recommend this for the 6 year old. Just make sure you download the varient island layouts from the German edition found here on the geek.

For Christmas we are getting my son (11):
Nexus Ops (awesome minis can be played by his sister as well).
BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia (Another dudes on the map best with 2. Definitely too much for my daughter.)
Suburbia (tile laying, city building game. May be a lot for your 8 year old although I think my daughter could handle it).
The Downfall of Pompeii (Somewhat similar to Survive.)

For my soon to be 4 year old we are getting her:
Animal Upon Animal (dexterity game with beautiful components).
The Enchanted Tower (simple family co-op, won the 2013 kinderspiel, but I had to order it from Amazon.de so I also got a copy of The Magic Labyrinth).

For my other daughter (8) we got:
Can't Stop and Takenoko.

Cheers and good luck,
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.