Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Foxhole clearance ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
doude baolescu
France
flag msg tools
Hi here !

I can't find in ASL rules if it is possible to clear a foxhole the same way than minefields or wires. The situation is that : the scenario is for me to defend a bridge across a river by stopping or delaying the enemy ; I can setup on the two sides of the river. I'd like to put my 2 OB foxholes before the bridge (on the enemy's approach riverside) with MMCs to late the ennemy, and MGs and other SW in woods, on the other side of the river, to shoot at a longer range and avoid CC.
I expect to move my foxholes units back when the enemy will be about to encircle them and take the bridge (he will : his forces are superior), but I'd rather not allow the enemy to further use my foxholes, protecting himself from my SW... So I thought I could "clear" (or fill, I mean - I guess shovels that dig them did not vanished in the air before the setup) these foxholes before leaving them.
So... Is this possible, or should I setup the foxholes on the opposite riverside ?
Thanks for your answers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nope once dug they stay (except when shellholes created).
same outcome tho.

you can dig more,i.e one foxhole into two,two into three (max).

you could always have them boresighted with other support weapons etc for when the enemy move in

cheerio
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Boresighting, great way to stop the enemy using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doude baolescu
France
flag msg tools
That seems to be the best solution, indeed.
But these one-use shovels are pretty boring sometimes.
Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldouco wrote:

Have you ever seen or used one those fold-up shovels just remember that shovel comes in handy in CC

out of interest which scenario you playing ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doude baolescu
France
flag msg tools
"One-log bridge", ASLUG 12, Japanese side.
I've seen the shovels - not used 'em at all, ASL is my only military physical experience (don't shoot !)... Yep, shovels are damn small, but the good guys are sturdy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldouco wrote:
That seems to be the best solution, indeed.
Thanks all

Well, rounds are firing all around you, you are motivated to scrape out some kind of cover. Rounds are firing all around you and your CO says. "Hey, you two, me and the rest of the squad are heading back over the river. Fill in those holes that all of us just occupied and when you get done feel free to join us." Not quite the same sense of urgency, I'd guess. It's all a matter of scale, I'd think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldouco wrote:
"One-log bridge", ASLUG 12, Japanese side.
I've seen the shovels - not used 'em at all, ASL is my only military physical experience (don't shoot !)... Yep, shovels are damn small, but the good guys are sturdy

I dont have that 3rd party .

sounds interesting tho .

i'll look it up online ..

Good luck, defending is always a challenge,interlocking fire, smoke,rout and rally points and usually...never enough troops shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doude baolescu
France
flag msg tools
Can't we say the same thing when it comes to clear rubbles or roadblocks ? After all, squads don't need them to be cleared for themselves, especially when bullets and rounds are raining in and around ! CO says "Clear it for our tanks to pass through, guys", and the guys do. Won't they do the same when the CO says "Fill me those holes so that the yankees won't use them to shoot you as they want" (I let japanophones transcribe by themselves) ?
Especially if, in terms of rules, it would be almost the same thing than clear a minefield, wire, rubble or the like, no (with Leader involved, NTC and TI counter - that's the way I was figuring it out) ?

By the way, it makes me remember a scene in Band of Brothers - an episode of the Bulge, when somebody find a huge smelly turd in his foxhole. Maybe it's the way to prevent enemy to use it ? No rule either for this in ASL ; serious lack, isn't it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doude baolescu
France
flag msg tools
Quote:
I dont have that 3rd party .

sounds interesting tho .

i'll look it up online ..

Good luck, defending is always a challenge,interlocking fire, smoke,rout and rally points and usually...never enough troops shake

The scenario takes place on a little, little map (34, from R to FF rows) with plenty of woods. Forces are numerously a little in favor of US player, but the VC are tough - take the bridge and two adjacent hex before 7 turns, and the Japanese is well furnished in SW (3 light mortars, none for the US. Hurrah for the woods ! Hurrah for the airburst !). The Japanese setup let him place units on the US side of the river, but I think it is suicidal to use it largely - many risks of FtR because of the river.
Oh, and it is an "INF only" scenario. No gun, no AFV, no OBA. Quite simple to learn basics quietly - just PTO rules may complicate a little the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The ASLUG scenarios are available on line.

http://www.aslwebdex.net/aslwebdex/aslug/aslug.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinnie37 wrote:
The ASLUG scenarios are available on line.

http://www.aslwebdex.net/aslwebdex/aslug/aslug.html

Thankyou Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.