Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is cross posted in the One Night Werewolf forum.

Just played Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition last night at Euroquest. It was a lot of fun. I love the separation of the roles from the players, allowing people to be outed without necessarily taking them entirely out of the game.

Resistance is still my favorite game of deception, but I felt pretty good about Inquisition. It doesn't have the same level of stress and people reading of resistance, but was still good.

My question is, it seems Inquisition could ably handle 3 or 4 player games, something that the Resistance of course cannot do. But I've also heard good things about One Night Werewolf, and its low player count.

However, it sounds like making one night werewolf work with fewer players requires some gamey decision making.

Has anybody played both werewolf games, and can comment on which is better with low player counts? I'm not trying to replace resistance, just have more flexibility in this genre of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Michael. One of the things you probably can't get from the packaging/reviews is the tone or "feel" of the game.

Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition is a very light strategic boardgame with a dose of social gaming/hidden roles. There's actually some thinky strategy that can be applied over several nights to help your team to victory. There's conversation during the game, but it's light and has a co-op feel to it (everyone is working to figure out where the werewolves are, so there are suggestions from other players on what roles to take, and what to do at various points in the game…though some of those suggestions are from the werewolf team, which is working against the majority of the players).

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a casual Social deduction game. Players claim roles, and other players try to debunk those claims. There's a good layer of hidden logic that players can choose to dig through to figure things out, but there is little long term strategy. There's a lot of laughing and loud talking during One Night games.

Oh, and both games work really well with 3 and 4 players, though I think Inquisition is probably "better" as a 3 player game (though again, it's quite different).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much Ted, and thanks for producing and designing great games.

I'll probably just get both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say get both
I like these types of games over Resistance etc, even though those are very good. For me these too are less confrontational? Maybe it's because One Night WW is shorter, or maybe because of the theme. Sometimes I get stressed when playing Resistance hehe.

I've played both Werewolf games. They're both very fun to play and have a different feel. Both play well with 4 players. One Night WW you have more of that fun take that/bluffing feel, and trying to guess who's on what team. Inquisition you have that fun deduction feel, and why did he vote there? Maybe he's on the werewolf team? kind of feel. Inquisition allows you to gather more information along the way.

I'm holding onto both copies for dear life If you like those type of deduction/werewolf games, I think you'll like both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
One is 5 minutes, the other around 45. Very hard to compare. I own both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Crud
msg tools
mbmbmb
I own both. I like both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.