London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

I just finished writing the rules for a micro card game and I was hoping to find some new eyes to take a look at them and let me know if there is anything about them that is unclear/difficult to understand/convoluted/poorly worded etc. etc.

I've already done preliminary play testing in the past few days and had the rules floating around on the BGDF today. I've made 3 revisions to the rules thus far based on responses at the BGDF, and I think it's getting close to being ready for blind play testing!

If you are interested in looking at the rules, send me a GeekMail or reply today and I'll get back to you right away.

Here is the gist of the game:

Hemlock is a 4 player Euchre-style micro card game comprised of 30 cards (24 playable) the goal of which is to poison the Royalty of the opposing team. Players attempt to control tricks, deduce the importance of cards, and assign them accordingly. The winner is the team with more live Royalty at the end of the game.

Each round features a Conspirator and a Target. The Conspirator starts the round by placing a card from her hand face down on the center of the table, forming a trick. Moving clockwise, players place cards of varying values and abilities face up to try and control or manipulate the trick while at the same time trying to determine whether they want the face down card to go to their team or the opposing team. The winner of the trick assigns the face down card to either the Target or themselves, or, if the Target wins the trick, to any player she chooses.

Whether the face down card is Hemlock (resulting in the death of a Monarch at game end), a Queen (who becomes the Monarch if there is no King), or one of the other 4 cards, remains unknown until 7 cards have been assigned at which point the game ends and the face down cards assigned to each King are resolved.

Thanks in advance for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boing, boing, boing... thunk!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hemlock, a new micro card game
Can you give anymore info? What's the theme? How many players? Primary mechanic? Just cards or additional tokens?

You will usually receive more interest if you give a little more detail.

Either way, I'd be happy to take a look at your rules but nothing beats blind play testing. Beware the advice of those who haven't tried it first hand. Some of the advice can be very good, but some might not apply. I'll send a GM now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Info sent marble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Info sent Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Washburn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will take a look at it see if my group wants to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Info sent Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Seymour
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id take a look if you are still seeking more input.

Theme looks neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Info sent Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback Ed! Very much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.