Ponte del Diavolo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about the endgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Yesterday I read the PDF file of YourTurnMyTurn.com containing the rules of Ponte del diavolo. I am not sure I understand how the game is supposed to end.

More specifically, it is stated that the 'white player' can pass their turn if no double placement is available for them. I guess it doesn't mean 'player 1', but the player controlling the light tiles (whether it be the first player as at the beginning or the second one, having swapped colours on their first turn). It is then stated that, after the 'white player' has passed their turn, the 'red player' gets one more turn in which, if no double placement is available for them too, can pass their turn as well, ending the game 'immediately'.

Here comes my question: what if the 'red player' doesn't pass and either place a bridge or two tiles (if possible)? Is the game over or can the 'white player' pass again (or place a bridge), allowing still another turn for the 'red player'?

In other terms, is the game concluded when the 'red player' passes right after the 'white player' has passed (in which case we could without much change allow the players to pass any of their turn as in Go, which seems always disadvantageous for themselves), or is it over as soon as after the turn following the first pass of the 'white player'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ebel
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
designer
If red player pass, game ends at once. Thats because white player has the first move in a turn. So if white player pass, red has the last move.
I am sure their are some other who can explain better in english, why i preferred this ending.
If you spare your "sure moves" for later, because you are so good in strategy, it may happen, that your opponent ends the game before you made your points. I like this special kick for the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, thanks, I think I got it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Err, just to be completely sure: if white passes and red does not, does the game end at once too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eobllor wrote:
Err, just to be completely sure: if white passes and red does not, does the game end at once too?

Yes.

The English (Rio Grande) rules say that:

1. If the "light" (white) player passes, the "dark" (red) player will have one more turn and then the game will end.

2. If the "dark" (red) player passes, the game ends immediately.

(This is, of course, so both colours get an equal number of turns)

Also, you may not pass if you can still place 2 tiles. But you may pass even if you can still place a bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, that was crystal clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.