Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for clarification. I'm just trying to understand the german rules...

The section for "fights" seems a bit... unclear. I know, there have been discussions about the question, who takes the wounds, just the phasing player or all players. Well, I have a more general question

The german rules state:

1.) The power of the beast is compared to the weapon power of the players (plus temporary bonuses). Someone /all players ( ) take(s) the wounds, if the weapon power is too low.

2.) You AGAIN compare the weapon power (only the basic one) with the beast's power and get wounds if it is lower. Because now you have to lower it.

Is this right? You compare twice and get wounds twice??? For ONE fight?

It's a pity the rule book has many many illustrations but NONE for this case.

Let's say: Beast power 3. Weapon power 1, temporary 2. So you would get 1 wound in step 1 and two additional wound in step 2 = 3 wounds. And your weapon power would be reduced to zero?

IS the weapon power really reduced in each fight so your weapons are always "broken" after each fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it goes like this.

First, you COMPARE your Weapon Strength (level) with the Beast Strength (first number). If it is lower, you can always raise it temporarily by using weapons that give you temporary WS (if you have access to such a thing).
You will take the difference in wounds, if the weapons level is still lower.

Second, you LOWER your weapons level by the number stated in the second space. If you have less Weapon Strength than it needs to be lowered, you take any step you would need to lower your WS after it reached 0 as wounds.

So yes, you basically compare twice, and gain wounds twice. But the second time you do not gain wounds from the beast, you gain wounds due to "Unfulfilled demand". As usual.

And it is always ONLY the player performing the Hunting action during the Action phase.
It is always ONLY the player drawing the Adventure or Mystery card (if this is applicable) during the Action phase.
It is always ONLY the Start Player facing the beast in the Event phase.
It is always ALL players if the Beast die shows the appropriate symbol during the Weather phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, for the fast reply. So you are are really always punished twice when the weapon strength is lower than the beast's one.

(well, if you do not have any temporary item bonus - and if, you suffer at least wounds from lowering the weapon strength in step two, so temporary weapon strength strangely only protects you in step one, a bit counter-intuitive)

EDIT: Ah, and thanks for clarifying who does get the punishment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, interpret it like this:

You have a stock of weapons, or a weapon that has been honed and improved. It is not enough for the beast you are hunting, so you used something to improve it. Maybe you took the gun with you, but since you have only two shots, you do not count it towards your weaponry in general, and it will also only help once or twice.
All of this helped you vanquish the beast, but your weapons were not enough to keep it from wounding you slightly.
Also, during the struggle, your other weapon (your spear) got damaged. In order to use it again, you will have to repair it.

This does not include the "Unfulfilled Demand" damage, but I think you get the point. The damage done TO YOU by the beast is not the same as the damage done TO THE WEAPONS you carried.

But maybe the creature threw itself at you, and you only had this weak spear in hand. Yes, you used the gun to eventually kill it, but the spear broke into pieces under the weight, and a rib got crushed, which would not have if you had fastened the spear shaft, or had strengthen the whole construction to withstand something like this a little better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konwacht wrote:
Thanks, for the fast reply. So you are are really always punished twice when the weapon strength is lower than the beast's one.

(well, if you do not have any temporary item bonus - and if, you suffer at least wounds from lowering the weapon strength in step two, so temporary weapon strength strangely only protects you in step one, a bit counter-intuitive)

EDIT: Ah, and thanks for clarifying who does get the punishment

Remember that you can also use items etc. that give your weapon strength a permanent boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Second, you LOWER your weapons level by the number stated in the second space. If you have less Weapon Strength than it needs to be lowered, you take any step you would need to lower your WS after it reached 0 as wounds.

I think it needs to be clarified that you only use the permanent weapon strength in this case. Any temporare bonuses from phase one do not carry over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for pointing out once again that "damaging weapons" just takes the "level" into account, not any temporary increase that was applied previously. I thought it was clear, but then, it might not have been...

But I do not get this comment...
abersen wrote:
Remember that you can also use items etc. that give your weapon strength a permanent boost.

...because that is something which does not need an extra notion. It's what you usually do. Increase the WS by building the Knife. Increase it by building the Bow. By finding the Whip, etc.

Items do not give you Weapon Strength when you use them, they give you Weapon Strength when you BUILD them.
Once.
Actually, everything that does not state something about "temporary Weapon Strength" is a one-time increase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Thank you for pointing out once again that "damaging weapons" just takes the "level" into account, not any temporary increase that was applied previously. I thought it was clear, but then, it might not have been...

But I do not get this comment...
abersen wrote:

...because that is something which does not need an extra notion. It's what you usually do. Increase the WS by building the Knife. Increase it by building the Bow. By finding the Whip, etc.

Items do not give you Weapon Strength when you use them, they give you Weapon Strength when you BUILD them.
Once.
Actually, everything that does not state something about "temporary Weapon Strength" is a one-time increase!

I just wanted to point out that its not only possible to temporarily raise your weapon strength during a fight. This might be important at some point in the game.

Until now i have only played one game and so i do not have knowledge about all the different cards and how many of them do boost whatsoever.

Instead of items i should have said treasures etc. Didnt mean
Inventions built to items in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I understand where you are coming from. Please understand that it was not my intention to lessen your comment or make a snide remark.

Yes, you are right, it is still possible in a fight to raise the Weapon Level such that it is not temporary, but (for lack of a better term) permanent. However, I can recall only three things that can do so:
1. The Starting Item (Broken Bottle?)
2. The Special Ability of the Soldier
3. The Discovery Tokens
All of these can be used at any time* during the game, even in a fight.

Anything else that would give you a raise of the Weapon Level (any card) would do so immediately when you build/draw it.

*Please note that there is a discussion about what "any time" actually means, and there are two distinct results. I am referring to how the last German rulebook treated this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konwacht wrote:

I have the impression that this hasn't been really clearified in this thread yet. So I'm feeling free to point it out a bit more:

* First, you compare your weapon strength to the strength of the animal to see if it wounds you before you can kill it.

* Secondly, your armory gets damaged during the hunt - so you have to reduce your weapon strength. Of course, you can't shift this damage onto temporary improvements, but to your basic armory, which is represented by your weapon strength.

So: No, you don't always get punished twice when your weapon strength is lower than the beast's strength.
e.g. if you have a weapon strength of 3 (without any temporary improvements), the beast has a strength of 4 and your weapons get a damage of 2, you:
* get 1 wound from the animal (4-3)
* reduce your weapon strength to 1 (3-2), without receiving any further damage

If the damage to your weapons would reduce your weapon strength to less than 0, you have to take wounds instead. But this is not because of the hunt, but because of the basic rule, that you have to take wounds for unfullfilled demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.