Subject: How to log expansion plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potentially silly question here, but I'm curious to know what is convention for other BGGers on logging plays using expansions.

When you play a game using an expansion do you...
A. Only log that you played the base game
B. Log a play for the base game and a separate play for the expansion
C. Only log that you played the expansion

Just prepping for Suburbia Inc - my first expansion purchase!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I do B.

It does feel a little like cheating, as my total number of logged plays ends up being inflated, but it's the only way to track how much play each part gets - I just wish I knew a way to mean that when I play a base game + 2 expansions I could record all that but in such a way that the plays were linked as one in terms of my total play count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use "A".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"A"

As for me, I just log the plays for the base game. Sometimes I will state that an expansion was used in the notes.

It seems to me that if I log an expansion play, with the base game play, it inflates the number of plays for me.

Either way, it is just a good way to keep up with the number of plays of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log the play to the Base Game but then I keep tally of all plays using in the Comment field in the Collection View (e.g. [9x]) for the expansion. This way I don't double count, yet I keep track of how often I've played the expansion given we like to see if/when we've played a game/expansion enough to justify the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do "A" and in the notes I write which expansions I used. I started doing it that way because of dominion. If I was using three sets, I only wanted to write one log
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do B. I think it really comes down to how you want to use the logs. I want to know if each box is getting used so logging separately really helps. That way if one expansion never gets used I know I either want to take it out and play or trade it, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"B"

I log both the base game and the expansion so that I can keep track of how much use I'm getting out of each game and each expansion. I don't really care about my total plays so I'm not worried about inflating my numbers like some people have mentioned -- although I suppose you could just subtract your total "Board Game Expansion Plays" from your total "Board Game Plays" if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OverEngineered wrote:
although I suppose you could just subtract your total "Board Game Expansion Plays" from your total "Board Game Plays" if you want.

I was just going to post this very thing - it's a lot easier for me to subtract my (current) 88 expansion plays from my 941 board game plays to know my total individual plays (when I wish to know this figure), than it is for me to have to write a comment each time as to what expansions I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log only base game plays, and I use the play comments field to list expansions used and any other data that changes from game to game, like scoring cards in Kingdom builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OverEngineered wrote:
"B"

I log both the base game and the expansion so that I can keep track of how much use I'm getting out of each game and each expansion. I don't really care about my total plays so I'm not worried about inflating my numbers like some people have mentioned -- although I suppose you could just subtract your total "Board Game Expansion Plays" from your total "Board Game Plays" if you want.

qft - exactly my thinking (and the way I do it myself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Only A. I play most games with expansions that exist and it meets my needs well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A, because I'm lazy
I'll sometimes note that I've used expansion, but not always.

Enjoy the expansion, it's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I guess I'm the only person so far to do C!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A" for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
"A" with a note in the comments box meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"A" because I'm lazy and if I own an expansion I almost always play with it, but technically if I was trying to be as accurate as possible I'd log both the base and expansion as played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use C mostly, although for mini expansions and games where I play with multiple expansions (Dominion) I usually use A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moss
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a mix of "B" & "C" for me personally - which is probably just confusing and not helpful to this debate really whistle

I use approach "B" for games where you add the expansion to the base game and create an advanced version of it - so that would cover this example for Suburbia, and others like Carcassonne and it's multitude of expansions for example.

However I think approach "C" is more appropriate in scenarios where the expansion replaces the majority of the base game to create a new version of the game - for example when playing a specific Powergrid Map. In this instance I think you're not playing the base game with something added to it (option "B"), but actually a new game that uses the base game as it's foundation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I'm leaning towards using option B. Sounds like there is no right or wrong way - just personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game, note the expansions in the comments field.

One day when BGG adds expansion logging, I will be able to just edit each play, and tick the expansion used.

Those who enter separate plays will have to delete hundreds of plays, in addition. Much more work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stokes
England
Basingstoke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me its A because I throw the expainsion in with the base game and most of the time I use it (unless breaking in a newbie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am late to the thread here, but I too have always been frustrated with how BGG handles logging expansion plays.

What I do is a B. with a twist: When I log in the expansion, I put 0.001 in the "quantity" field. The expansion will then show up on your list of games played, but not add to your total play count.

The problem with this method however is that is still not possible to track the number of times you have actually played the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do A. Especially if I'm playing something like dominion with multiple expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petersen
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use C for games like Flash Point: Fire Rescue or Power Grid to note which map/expansion gets the most plays.
I use A for games like Suburbia, where the expansion is integrated into every play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.