Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game Cafes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Howard
msg tools
So I've heard that there are a few Board Game Cafes opening up in the United State, like Seatle and LA. I'm hoping they really take off, I wondered if anybody had started a list of them around the US and maybe see what they're like?

I think the one in Seatle is called Gas Lamp, and the one in California is Game Haus. I really want to get out west and maybe try one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caysi McQuillan
United States
Newport
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars" - unknown
mbmb
I have heard of them - being in Cincinnati Ohio all i can do right now is dream that they take off and soon sweep the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I used to do a lot of gaming at coffeehouses. Cafes specially
purposed for it seem a strange idea - those with games can play
anywhere, and those who don't own games are unlikely to be terribly
attracted to the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Howard
msg tools
Apparently they're all over the place in Europe and Asia. I've been considering making the trip up to Canada for Snakes and Lattes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victoria B C has 2 new ones i have not gotten too yet. One opened by owner who closed his store down, and now sells from Cafe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
MerlinMarlin wrote:
Apparently they're all over the place in Europe and Asia.

I wonder if they have the same tradition of game stores offering up space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a populous culture in this area for folk to pile into cafes of an afternoon and evening, and to stay there (typically meeting and talking, or poking away on their laptops) until the late hours when they assumably wander off to bed. They don't get a coffee and leave, they get a coffee and settle in for an hour or five. In this line the cafe down the road from me as I type has an array of big comfy leather couches, an open fireplace (which will be burning when it gets a bit colder), free WiFi, lots of tables and chairs and an endless stream of coffee and pastries. Should tabletop gaming appeal to the same or a similar audience, I can easily imagine them playing in the environment they already know so well.

Partial backing evidence is that one of the local game groups meets every week in just such a coffee shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Mejia
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
of Power
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually about to start a thread about this. I'm going to be opening (or attempting to) open a gaming cafe in Chicago early 2015. was about to ask for name suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there has been an attempt in the past to start a Geeklist, but I can't seem to find it anymore. NYC finally got it's own board game cafe (The Uncommons) just a few weeks ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Howard
msg tools
Wait there's a Board Game Cafe in NYC? Do you have a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one here in Indianapolis called the Arsenal Game Room & Cafe. It's in a neat old building, and aside from the main open gaming room, has several themed rooms you can rent out for groups. It's been around for about 5 years or so. The place does pretty good business from regular boardgaming Meetups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warner Chaves
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one in Ottawa, Ontario as well called Monopolatte.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodness, have you never heard about Cafe Mox in Seattle? We already have a gaming cafe. And the great thing is - you can try the games for free, and then buy them at Card Kingdom next door (they are connected) if you love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's actually been a couple of them that have been kickstarted... one in NYC, and one in Chicago.

clearclaw wrote:
There's a populous culture in this area for folk to pile into cafes of an afternoon and evening, and to stay there (typically meeting and talking, or poking away on their laptops) until the late hours when they assumably wander off to bed. They don't get a coffee and leave, they get a coffee and settle in for an hour or five. In this line the cafe down the road from me as I type has an array of big comfy leather couches, an open fireplace (which will be burning when it gets a bit colder), free WiFi, lots of tables and chairs and an endless stream of coffee and pastries. Should tabletop gaming appeal to the same or a similar audience, I can easily imagine them playing in the environment they already know so well.

Partial backing evidence is that one of the local game groups meets every week in just such a coffee shop.
I was wondering why gamers don't just go to a FLGS where AFAIK, they already do it better, or have been around longer. However, I can see you point there.

Furthermore, the venue now has another means to support itself, and it can be firm about the "no outside food" policy. Usually, CCGs like Magic help keep a store in good financial standing. I don't mind Magic players, it bugs me when some places get very bogged down by that.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1038063/is-it-possible-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another place in Toronto (besides Snakes and Lattes) is [Castle] at Spadina and College

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoGenesisX wrote:
I think there has been an attempt in the past to start a Geeklist, but I can't seem to find it anymore. NYC finally got it's own board game cafe (The Uncommons) just a few weeks ago

Yea, there ought to be boardgame cafe in San Francisco. I just happened to be looking for a place where I can borrow board games like Ticket to Ride so I did a google and found this Kickstarter project, The Uncommons, that just started last week . Unfortunately, it's in New York

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460605990/the-uncommons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan W
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Enchanted Grounds in Highlands Ranch, CO (Denver suburb). Great board game cafe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cardflopper wrote:
another place in Toronto (besides Snakes and Lattes) is [Castle] at Spadina and College

As far as I know, Toronto has three boardgame cafes:
Snakes and Lattes (Bloor/Bathurst)
Castle Board Game Cafe (College/Spadina)
Rollplay Cafe (Yonge/Dundas, recently opened up)

I'll also toss in Go Lounge in the west end. Although it is not strictly a boardgame cafe, I've heard it has a decent sized collection of games (I have not actually been there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
MerlinMarlin wrote:
Apparently they're all over the place in Europe and Asia.

I wonder if they have the same tradition of game stores offering up space.

Due to a general trend of too many people/not enough land compared to North America, our shops and houses are all much smaller, and space is very much at a premium.

Some games shops have room for a few tables, but it's all very squashed and cramped, many have no room at all (and still squashed and cramped. In reality, games shop space where available tends to be used for Organised Play activities - MtG, WoW, Clix, 40k.

People wanting to play boardgames in public here mostly choose a pub or a cafe, not a games shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go lounge has since pared down their collection and basically become a bar with a few games most of which are mainstream but there is TTR and Catan.
I think it's called 1718 now or something like that. Too bad really, I liked their free gaming policy and good booze and food selection.

On another note, Snakes and Lattes doesn't have a liquor licence anymore and were supposed to get one. But a heads up if you enjoy a beer with your gaming like I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I went downtown-- in Toronto-- yesterday (among other things stopping in at 401 Games), and stumbled upon the Roll Play Cafe. As it was one of the mysterious non-street-level establishments, we hesitantly went in the door and climbed the stairs to the second floor, not knowing what to expect. We are big fans of Snakes and Lattes, so this place had a lot to live up to.

It was surprisingly nice. The selection of games was small by comparison to Snakes, maybe 200 games, but there were plenty of new titles in addition to the classics. The place looked like a well-appointed trendy cafe-- a great spot to bring non-gaming friends, in other words. The tables were a comfortable gaming size (I know we've often wished the tables at Snakes were larger). And there's no cover charge, providing you order something from their menu. They had some yummy desserts on offer, and the food and drinks were well-presented.

Snakes and Lattes wins for game selection and of course their Game Gurus on staff, but I would definitely go back to Roll Play next time I'm in that area of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept has spread like wildfire in Canada since (due to?) S&L's success. By my count, there's around 10 (at least one in Victoria, one in Edmonton, one planned in Calgary, one in Hamilton, 3 in Toronto, one in Ottawa and another opening in 2014, one in Montreal, and one now in Halifax).

Also, you might want to look through and subscribe to Board Game Caf├ęs & Bars Around The World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently pop up boardgame competitions or 'blitzes' are also spreading like wildfire in Canada, eh Marc!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Chicago KickStarter one should hopefully open Spring 2014.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cantinaforward/geek-out-...

There's a few other bars around the city that have a collection of board games, one of the best is Guthries Tavern. However, several of the games are really showing their age and while they have an impressive collection, it's not always the best place to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.