Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2917135#item29...

Conclusion:

I read the other reviews posted here on the geek and I am not sure we played the same game. The components in this game are cheap and not sturdy in any way. For a filler that you might play a couple of times in a row, the components will not last forever. I do not believe they are horrible, just not very good.

The gameplay is a chaos filled bar fight and the randomness of the game is something you will love or hate. The game does not last too long so it might not be a big deal to you. Honestly, if you play this game just sit back, let things go, and try and do some crazy stuff.

The main problem I have with the game is you can just pick on one player and destroy him. The other issue if you do not have the right cards, you can be killed in one round by the other players. The decisions in the game is rather limited: who to shoot. If you can defend or cause more damage, you really want to use it so you can get more cards.

The game can be taught in minutes and played with non gamers. If "gamers" play, they have to just let things go and roll with it. If your group plays only serious games, this might not be the game for you. I personally enjoy filler games, but I do not like to watch other people play board games. With player elimination, I am forced to watch people play.

This isn't a very good game. Yet, it can be fun with the right crowd and the right "mood". Your gaming table will dictate how much fun this game is. There is player elimination so you can be out for 20 minutes while other players play.

Not a great game and not a great design. I'm going to purge.

Components:

The components are fairly cheap. The cards are thin, the ammo cards are small. The player mats might as well be note book paper. The art is cute and funny without being over the top. There is some variety in the players and their abilities. Overall, the components are below acceptable. They will do the job, but you will not be impressed.

Rule Book:

The rule book is good, but not great. You will be able to play this game with zero problems. I found it odd that I could not find out how to win the game. I assume it is player elimination, but nothing in the rules confirmed this. The book could be better organized, but the game is so simple it doesn't really matter.

Flow of the Game:

This is likely to be short and sweet.

Each player is a different person who is fighting inside of a saloon. Different areas of the bar might give you different bonuses (defense, attack, health, more ammo or the ability to hit people (melee)).

In the basic game, every character is the same. In the advanced game, each character gets a unique power.

The rules do not state how to win, but I deduce you win by killing (thus eliminating) the other players.

At the start of your turn you draw up to 7 cards. Cards might increase defense (melee or gun), increase health, increase ammo, or increase attack (melee or gun).

On your turn, you pick another player to attack. There are rules about melee (arrows on the board show which other rooms can be attacked from where you are standing) and shooting with guns (with a gun you can shoot anyone from anywhere).

After choosing who to attack, you choose the weapon and an discard any bonus cards from your hand that will increase the damage you inflict. Your opponent then chooses any defense cards they wish to play and add any bonuses from their position on the board.

If your attack result is higher than their defense score, you deal damage equal to the difference.

That's the game. You continue until everyone is dead.

There are other rules about moving from room to room, quick draw, and others. There game is really easy to play and you can pick it up in about two minutes.

Should I buy this Game?:

No, not really. The game is short and has a lot of randomness. If this sounds good to you, then you are the target audience. Otherwise, I think there are better fillers that give you more interesting questions. If you are a big fan of westerns (which I am), then it can be really fun to have all the cliches included in the game and you might just like a shoot em up.

Otherwise, this is a game you might play a couple of times or break out a few times a year. Nothing really to see here.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never have I disagreed with a review more.

The object is written in the first paragraph of the rule book: "The object is to be the last player with Grit."

Of the 11 American West games I own, this is the best, after Bang!

It's a great game which does an excellent job of simulating a saloon fight, and not one which I would classify as a filler. It takes a couple of plays before you begin to understand it to the point where you can play quickly, as it is intended.

Not every game is going to appeal to every player, but this is not a bad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeples Court
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will definitely agree this is a "love it or hate it" style game, but it's far from a bad game.

It's true that this is an elimination style game and it is possible to eliminate a player in the first round if everyone teams up on them. If your group is one focuses on extremely strategic games, then this review is on spot - keep it off your table.

However, if your group just gets together for socializing and just having fun, this is a WONDERFUL game. The elimination only becomes an issue if your whole group teams up on one person - forcing them out. If this is happening to you often, maybe you should just find a new group to play with.

I find this game has the same flavor and fun of Bang!, but plays much quicker (not to knock Bang! at all, that's a wonderful game, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly wish it was the opposite and you agreed with me more than anything, but I am glad you read the review and had some sort of opinion.

My favorite Western game is Carson City. I love that game! I've yet to play Bang!.

That's what bugged me about this game and thus the review. I can see just about someone liking nearly any game. I thought there was a game here some people would like. Yet, the reviews are from my point of view and only mine (except kids games). I had to be honest as that is what a reader (and myself) would want.

Honestly, I was ganged up and out of the game nearly every time early. This will happen to someone and it was boring. The best part was the funny things you can do via the cards.

FALCON1717 wrote:
Never have I disagreed with a review more.

The object is written in the first paragraph of the rule book: "The object is to be the last player with Grit."

Of the 11 American West games I own, this is the best, after Bang!

It's a great game which does an excellent job of simulating a saloon fight, and not one which I would classify as a filler. It takes a couple of plays before you begin to understand it to the point where you can play quickly, as it is intended.

Not every game is going to appeal to every player, but this is not a bad game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it or hate it is perfect explanation of this game. Eliminating players only works if it is fast. This game was not really quick.

MeeplesCourt wrote:
I will definitely agree this is a "love it or hate it" style game, but it's far from a bad game.

It's true that this is an elimination style game and it is possible to eliminate a player in the first round if everyone teams up on them. If your group is one focuses on extremely strategic games, then this review is on spot - keep it off your table.

However, if your group just gets together for socializing and just having fun, this is a WONDERFUL game. The elimination only becomes an issue if your whole group teams up on one person - forcing them out. If this is happening to you often, maybe you should just find a new group to play with.

I find this game has the same flavor and fun of Bang!, but plays much quicker (not to knock Bang! at all, that's a wonderful game, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
Honestly, I was ganged up and out of the game nearly every time early. This will happen to someone and it was boring. The best part was the funny things you can do via the cards.

I think it's a fun game, and the narrative from playing funny cards is great, but player elimination can ruin any game if it doesn't play fast. With cagey players that turtle, this game can easily go an hour or more.

To avoid this, I have a table rule. The game ends as soon as someone is knocked out. Thematically, the Sheriff has arrived to break things up, the other players scatter, and the one with the most grit is the baddest brawler in town. Usually, this means players will chip away at each other to avoid anyone having advantage, and if there is a gang up scenario, well the game ends and we start a new round.

Also, playing in teams is better, since grit is shared by team members, so it's team knockout. These tends to be a bit more entertaining. In the event of uneven teams, the team with less players gets the +10 grit marker, and the team with more does not.

I enjoy the game, it's serves as funny filler, but I found your review to be fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.