KYEO
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I´m still trying to convince my wife that we need a tablet, so I cannot yet partake in the world of boardgames adapted to tablets. In the meantime I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any good adaptations in the Mac app store?

Thanks,
KM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bestley
England
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
KingMob wrote:
Hi!

I´m still trying to convince my wife that we need a tablet, so I cannot yet partake in the world of boardgames adapted to tablets. In the meantime I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any good adaptations in the Mac app store?

Thanks,
KM

The Mac app store is for OSX games (ie desktop or laptop Macs) there is a separate IOS app store (also called iTunes App Store) for iOS devices ie iPad and iPhone

Which one are you after?

For the former I have not seen any. For iTunes there are several see these lists

Highest Rated IPad Board and Card Games
Better on ios than the table
Iphone5 / Ipod Touch 5 games that go the full 4 inches!
Ipad only board games....

and many others

There are also websites like Yucata

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KYEO
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response Mark.

I am looking for any recomendations for boardgames adapted for laptops/desktops (OSX), so it is unfortunate that you are not aware of any lists of good recommendations.

KM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you install the Steam client, Ticket to Ride is available for Mac.

Steam TTR linky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bestley
England
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
KingMob wrote:
Thanks for your response Mark.

I am looking for any recomendations for boardgames adapted for laptops/desktops (OSX), so it is unfortunate that you are not aware of any lists of good recommendations.

KM

Ah I forgot that - I have it direct from daysofwonder before Steam etc

This is available as well from Apple's Mac App Store - Other days of wonder games are available from their web site.

Looking at the App Store their list of board games includes Monopoly, Chess, Backgammon, Mah Jong Solitaire and other card solitaires and then you will have to look through the full list to see games that would be on BGG.

Other OSX applications I have include (look in the BGG game entry for where to go )

Race for the Galaxy
Ra although the link appears broken now
San Juan
Le Havre which is downloadable from BGG but I never got to work on OSX as the files need to be put together.

The last two are Java programs which used to be easy to package as an app in OSX now there are some extra stages to go through

However you also should look at the web sites which give games to play in the web browser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Sewickley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess people here havenʻt spent enough time looking through the Mac App Store!

Ticket to Ride is also available ($10), along with Hey, Thatʻs My Fish ($3) and Elder Sign: Omens ($7).

So... not much. But something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KYEO
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, those are some good recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PC user here, hoping Elder Signs makes it to steam. Maybe I need to check EBay for a cheap Mac, would love to play it at my desk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue moon is available for Mac, from the same person who wrote the RFTG program. However, it has fewer features than the PC version, for example no Buka.

If you know how to use Wine, the PC version of Blue Moon works fine on Mac. If not, you should learn. There are a lot more boardgames for PC than Mac, but they generally can be ported over to Mac pretty well using Wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xav Xav
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm updating this thread (not sure if there is another one on this topic).

A 2012 article by Appstorm.net (http://mac.appstorm.net/general/get-your-game-on-with-these-...) mentions 30 Mac OS X board games, including Risk 2 and Catan - Cities and Knight.

With Steam, you can browse additional board games for Mac OS (store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Board%20Game/#os[]=mac&p=0&tab=NewReleases). I just found that Twilight Struggle has been released for Mac (http://store.steampowered.com/app/406290/?snr=1_237_querypag...).

TL;DR -- Very little has changed since the original post of 2013... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Barrios
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominion has a MAC version.

https://www.playdominion.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Toutant
Canada
flag msg tools
NebulArena is available for iOS, AppleTV and the Mac. It brings an interstellar twist to two player board games such as Reversi(AKA Othello) and Chess.

iOS/AppleTV : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nebularena/id987665059?uo=4&...

macOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nebularena/id1099551237?uo=4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I am surprised no one has to mention that absolutely wonderful adaptation of Carcassonne. Initially the developer only had it on iOS which has always been an amazing version of the game but they've since ported their efforts to the Mac App Store.

Sure it may SEEM a little pricey but the developers do amazing work so it is easily justified.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carcassonne/id901869346?uo=4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bestley
England
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Steam has a few Mac Games

including

Twilight Struggle
Ticket to Ride
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
Small World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Gordillo
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very good question. It's the end of 2017 and there are no more board games for mac. What a shame, I won't buy a tablet just to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pad9 wrote:
This is a very good question. It's the end of 2017 and there are no more board games for mac. What a shame, I won't buy a tablet just to play games.

Lords of Waterdeep is now available for Mac via Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
incinerator wrote:
pad9 wrote:

Part of this may be that Apple users often don't think of any other store than the official Apple store (which is true for the iOS platform), whereas on Windows, Steam, GOG, and numerous other outlets exist where games can be purchased that won't show up on Apples' store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Gordillo
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are right. There is also Agricola all creatures great and small and Heart of Crown. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Gordillo
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
incinerator wrote:
pad9 wrote:

Part of this may be that Apple users often don't think of any other store than the official Apple store (which is true for the iOS platform), whereas on Windows, Steam, GOG, and numerous other outlets exist where games can be purchased that won't show up on Apples' store.

Yup, totally right, I never thought of steam cause I was under the impression that it was PC only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tabletop Simulator is available for OSX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Memoir 44 on a Mac for a couple of years. Was pretty fun game with online play, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the App Store specifically, Dresden Files is very good.

1775 and 1812 are worth considering as are some of the ones mentioned above.

I find Steam runs hot on a MacBook at the best of times so if you do go the Steam route I'd make sure you're happy with the performance of one game before buying the next one. And make sure the ones you buy support (your version of) MacOS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a surprising number of boardgames available on boardgamearena and Yucata among other places which you can play from a browser. Worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Gordillo
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
There are a surprising number of boardgames available on boardgamearena and Yucata among other places which you can play from a browser. Worth checking out.

Yeah, I play at Boardgame Arena all the time, but I was asking for those moments I just want to play an A.I. and work on strategies. Besides, a nice off line game is always a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.