Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
My second time playing this crafty card game from Hasbro (and available for only $3.00 here. The first time I played I was impressed by how much strategy was involved in this seemingly disposable "movie tie-in" game, but this time around the "luck of the draw" element really came to the fore. Upon drawing my initial seven cards, I found that I had only three Challenge Cards and four Special Cards. Ranger! conceded the first battle, and then I conceded the second and third battles without playing any of my cards, hoping to carry my Special Cards over to the next round and draw some Challenger Cards. Ranger! tallied her point for the round and we each drew seven new cards -- and I drew six more Special Cards (including all three "Use The Force" cards which allow you to draw two more cards at any time). Over the course of the next two rounds I just kept using my plethora of Special Cards to win every single battle, and whenever I ran low I just used a "Use the Force" to reload. I won all the battles, scoring two points each round and winning the game.

Unsatisfying for me and a bummer for Ranger! Looking over the card distribution afterwards I decided that this was a considerable fluke; I don't think drawing 10 Special Cards out of 14 is very common, and certainly not getting all of the Use the Force cards in the first two hands. So I still have hope for the game -- and I enjoyed it, even during this rout -- but it's clear that this is no "En Garde" -- the Special Cards can seriously unbalance things.

Final scores: Ranger! = 2; Matthew = 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.