Popular Tags: [View All]
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i have yet to buy this game but i have a played a trial session yesterday with a friend of mine, using the core set and played the first scenario.

However there are a few confusion we were facing and i would like to get some answers. I am not sure if they have been asked before but i really appreciate any responds from any gamer.

1) The card Dungeon Torch is an objective card. We were not sure what is the function as i couldn't find the answer in the rule book (i may have missed it as i was fast reading the manual while we were playing). There is nothing good about the card, and we were not sure why do we want to claim it? Having it attach to any characters will only add to the threat level. Really don't understand how it works or how to get rid of it.

2) If we build our deck mixing cards from two different spheres, for example Tactics with Lore, we know that the Hero of Tactics may only use resources to bring out Tactics ally or events cards, and same goes for Lore Hero with Lore allies and events or weapons, is this right? To be more specific, we can't use one resource from a Tactic Hero, and with a Lore Ally's resource to bring out a Tactic card that costs two resource, is this correct?

So far the rest of the issues have been covered, which i hope we played correctly. I will post more questions after we test play it second time maybe this weekend.

Just a simple sharing on my experience after playing the first session of this game, after ignoring it for so many years. It is indeed an ingenious creation, with lots of possibilities and flavor. The game system is simple for me because our group have been so familiar to playing heavy strategy games with more complex rules, so this is not bad at all.

Overall, quality is good, adventuring feeling is so so, most probably because i was too busy reading the rule book while at the same time playing the game. But the rule book is considerably poorly written. This game has great potential and i really hope it fulfills my enjoyment on games under this genre. If i'm going into it, it will be a huge investment, not only in terms of money, but most importantly, the time factor which i lack, for deck building as well as retrying different scenarios after many many failures..gulp

I have never put in so much time and effort to analyze a game such as for this, simply because the stake is high, the fun can be real good, but i will only know after i get into it, and that's where the potential problem is, as what i am afraid, it will take up lots of money, time and possibly comes with lots of frustration (well, i really hope it comes with enjoyment though). In short, the overall experience is nice, and my long time gaming buddy loves it very much, a good sign.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it very much.

Jin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If I recall correctly, you need to have all 3 objectives attached to your heroes to progress past stage 2 of the Dol Goldur scenario. (and as you noticed, that's going to make your game difficult. Dol Goldur is hard.)

2. Sounds like you understand the rules about resource matching pretty well. Everything you said here is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Dol Guldur, you have to claim 1 objective to proceed to Stage 2, and all 3 objectives to proceed to Stage 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2) If we build our deck mixing cards from two different spheres, for example Tactics with Lore, we know that the Hero of Tactics may only use resources to bring out Tactics ally or events cards, and same goes for Lore Hero with Lore allies and events or weapons, is this right? To be more specific, we can't use one resource from a Tactic Hero, and with a Lore Ally's resource to bring out a Tactic card that costs two resource, is this correct?

Correct. Be aware there are cards which give a hero additional spheres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jininthenet wrote:
To be more specific, we can't use one resource from a Tactic Hero, and with a Lore Ally's resource to bring out a Tactic card that costs two resource, is this correct?

Allies don't produce resources. The only exception is Radagast from the first cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
jininthenet wrote:
To be more specific, we can't use one resource from a Tactic Hero, and with a Lore Ally's resource to bring out a Tactic card that costs two resource, is this correct?

Allies don't produce resources. The only exception is Radagast from the first cycle.

Good catch..thanks. Yes, only hero produce resources. But I think you guys get what I mean.

One more question on Dungeon Torch objective card, they are only included into the encounter deck when I play the second scenario right?

Thanks for the advice and quick responds, it's really helpful.

Jin

p/s: if I plan to buy this game, I intend to start with Core set, plus the complete Mirkwood cycle six small expansion, plus Khazad Dum and about four small expansion from its related cycle, will that be too much to begin with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean the "Escape from Dol Guldur" scenario, it's the third scenario in the core set. And yes, 'Dungeon Torch' is only used for the Dol Guldur scenario. Just pay attention to the icons on the cards; you only use the encounter decks indicated on the quest cards for a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.