Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Doing it wrong rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crystal McLaughlin
Australia
WOLLONGONG
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my first play of 4 characters (players). I've played through Perils as solo and made it through successfully, with some ease. I have since played a 2-player scenario and 4-player scenario of Bringsdoom!
Both the 2-player and 4-player games were lost due to the blessing deck running out.
Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on what we could be doing wrong. Its sounds like everyone else is finding the game relatively easy? Could we be missing something or mis-interpreting something.
I've read the rules multiple times, and ensured we stick to the turn summary on the back of the rules.

The 4 player game was Harsk, Merisiel, Seelah, and Valeros
The 2 player game was Seoni and Valeros.

Did we just use poor strategy, was it just really unlucky that all the henchmen (and villain) were close to the bottom of the location decks?
We did realise after the 4-player game that the party did lack an arcane character, which on next play Seoni (from 2-player game) will replace Merisiel ofr the next 4-player game.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rickman
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the other characters at other locations attempt to temporarily close their locations when the villain was discovered. Also discarding blessings and allies to explore multiple times in a turn can be a big help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I learned this game is about balance. You need to know when and how to utilize blessings. Dont forget to discard blessings to get an extra explore during your turn. Also dont forget to utilize your chance to close a location after defeating henchmen as a shortcut. Winning a combat check against a vilian instantly closes the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
D31277 wrote:
Also dont forget to utilize your chance to close a location after defeating henchmen as a shortcut. Winning a combat check against a vilian instantly closes the location.

Even if the Henchman says you can immediately close a location, you still have to perform whatever check is a part of the "When Closing" section, though, right?

Along these lines, I had a Henchman Bandit come up first thing in a location. I easily defeated him and attempted the check to close the location and failed. Looked at the rules and couldn't find anything explicit about what to do. I wanted my other character to then attempt the check, but he hadn't defeated anything and wasn't originally even in the location. I decided that the rules imply you can only close a location after defeating a henchman or encountering all the location cards, so I swallowed hard and began finishing off the cards in that location deck.

Did I do that right? Is there a better strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDevax wrote:
Did I do that right? Is there a better strategy?

Yeah, you did... If you get a Henchman near the top of a location and have a chance to close it quickly, IMO that's a good reason to blow some blessings or abilities for extra dice - worth it.

In general, I find that both blessings and allies are so rarely actually appropriate for their "specific" abilities that the majority of the time I use them for extra explorations. My goal is to tackle at least two cards each turn.

What heythulu said about temporary closing is important, too... I prefer having multiple characters at the first couple locations, then as soon as they can each take one, spread out and do that. From a blessings deck perspective, that makes for the best odds of closing things out before running out of time.

FWIW I also had a hard time always running out of time as well in my first several games. You'll figure it out and it'll become a rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas -
Germany
Friedberg
flag msg tools
badge
Cylon hater
mbmbmbmbmb
My Wife and me started a 2 player campaign and played 4 games till now.
Every game was very close, some games because of HP, but in all games we finished the game in the last 1-3 turns so the time limit is pretty tough,

I really wonder how this game plays with 4 players where everyone has the opportunity to do 7-8 turns only.... . Dont speak of a 6 player game (with the charakter addon) and only 5 turns / player... .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some general tips:

- Remember to take advantage of locations that allow for extra explorations if time is a problem. The Academy for instance lets you do an extra exploration if the first one wasn't a spell card, and some locations let you discard a card or two to explore again (useful if you picked up a boon and are over your hand limit so need to discard anyway)

- Most allies and blessings can be discarded to explore again if time is pressing

- At the start of the scenario try mostly splitting up and putting each character on a spot that they have a good chance of temporarily closing if the main villain pops up. That will help you narrow down the places he can escape too when you find him which will cut down on the time needed to ultimately defeat him.

- Remember to use character abilities like Ezren's free exploration whenever he gains a card with the magic trait. Also spells like Augury and Detect Magic are useful for getting unneeded cards out of the way so you can find that villain or henchmen more quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
reitoei wrote:
IMO that's a good reason to blow some blessings or abilities for extra dice - worth it.

Thanks for the help! Great post.

I think I just kinda got screwed. I was playing Valeros and Ezren. Ezren doesn't start with any blessings, and the closing check was a Wisdom check for which I didn't have any modifiers. Valeros was at a different location and didn't have anything that could help either.

LOL. I started through that pile and encountered a ghost which was seeming impossible, so I moved Valeros to another location and immediately ran into a Hill giant with 14 combat check. Bad, bad luck.

I'm going to have to figure out how to get the cards I need into my and at the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDevax wrote:
D31277 wrote:
Also dont forget to utilize your chance to close a location after defeating henchmen as a shortcut. Winning a combat check against a vilian instantly closes the location.

Even if the Henchman says you can immediately close a location, you still have to perform whatever check is a part of the "When Closing" section, though, right?

If you fight a henchman and defeat him then you can immediately attempt to close.

If you fight the VILLIAN and defeat him, he escapes if he can, and your location is auto closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal McLaughlin
Australia
WOLLONGONG
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help everyone. I think the 4-player game the decks were just against us. we had spread out, and our attempts to temporarily close locations didn't go so well. I'm looking forward to my next multi-player game to impart all this wisdom upon the group.

In summary the tips seem to be
*Spread out to locations that each player could reasonably temp close
*Ensure you are using each characters ability to highest potential
*When acquiring items, its a good idea use a discard option to explore again (take advantage of blessings)
*Take advantage of special events at locations, eg ability to search when not encountering a spell

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.