Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Which way do I modify? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On "The Poison Pill" scenario cards, it says "Add 2 to your checks to acquire allies."

So does this take the number on the ally and raise it by 2? Or does it "add 2" to my roll?

Secondly, making sure we are playing it right.
When it states a skill such as "constitution fortitude" if you don't have that specific skill, then you roll 1d4 correct? You don't use your default constitution die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It adds 2 to your roll; therefore, making it easier to acquire allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You add 2 to your roll. If it said "increase the difficulty" then it would be harder to gain allies.

You use either your Constitution or your Fortitude not the default d4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:

Secondly, making sure we are playing it right.
When it states a skill such as "constitution fortitude" if you don't have that specific skill, then you roll 1d4 correct? You don't use your default constitution die.

Actually, you can.

It means you can use Constitution or Fortitude.

A check that is Intelligence, Arcana can have the Sorcerer making a CHA-based Arcana check!

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reynai Nastrom

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first one, you are adding two to your check, not the difficulty of the check, so you are adding two to the die roll.

When it states something like "Constitution Fortitude" then you may use any of those skills to acquire. So if you do not have fortitude, you may use Constitution instead. You use d4 only if you do not have any of those skills: or, if you are using an ally to give you extra dice that are specifically for the skill that you do not have (thieves' tools to give you extra disable dice, when you do not have the disable skill. If you have a low dexterity anyhow, you may as well roll 2d4 rather than 1d6, aye?)

That also explains the ones that may have as many as four different skills listed (I am thinking of the Ambush barrier that lists Dexterity, Acrobatics, Wisdom, and Perception as possible skills... there is obviously no way you could use all of them at once!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So can someone give me an example of when you would be forced to use 1d4?

Won't you always be able to default to a strength/dex/const/int/wis/char skill. To me I think the confusion comes from me seeing them as attributes instead of skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Shadrack wrote:

Won't you always be able to default to a strength/dex/const/int/wis/char skill. To me I think the confusion comes from me seeing them as attributes instead of skills.

Amiri explores a location and it's:
(Random Item) - Check to acquire : Divine 6

Amiri does not have survival divine, so she would use a d4.

Edit - Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyphy wrote:
Shadrack wrote:

Amiri explores a location and it's:
(Random Item) - Check to acquire : Divine 6

Amiri does not have survival, so she would use a d4.
The check is Divine, but Amri is missing Survival? I think you confused something there. I know I'm confused.

Shadrack I think Wyphy means that Amri is missing Divine, so to attempt a divine check Amri would be stuck with a d4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:

If you want to attempt a check and the skill you want to use is not specifically listed in the skills section of your card, d4 is your base die for the check.

You may not do this for recharge checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'm dumb and started saying one thing then changed it, but obviously not all of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess I just was looking at it wrong. I am used to skills being a subset of characteristics. So if you didn't have the "skill" that you can default to the "characteristic" that is it based on.
Because everything is a skill here, and they list them as:

Strength d10
Melee: Strength +2

Then on a check it will say

strength
melee
I took it as specifically "melee" instead of looking at it as 2 skills listed, strength AND melee, so you can use either of them.
Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:
I guess I just was looking at it wrong. I am used to skills being a subset of characteristics. So if you didn't have the "skill" that you can default to the "characteristic" that is it based on.
Because everything is a skill here, and they list them as:

Strength d10
Melee: Strength +2

Then on a check it will say

strength
melee
I took it as specifically "melee" instead of looking at it as 2 skills listed, strength AND melee, so you can use either of them.
Right?

Correct; although obviously if you have the melee skill, that will always be the better choice if your options are strength or melee.

Another important thing to note is that cards that add dice to a basic skill check (str, dex, etc.) also add dice to a specialty skill check if that specialty skill uses that basic skill as its base die.

Foe example: a blessing that adds two dice to an Int check will also add two dice to Ezren's Arcane check...but not Seoni's or Lem's.

Something that specifically adds dice to a specialty skill, however, will NOT add dice to a check for that skill's coresponding basic skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.