Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: Advice concerning recent\forthcoming games like Battlelore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgenya Chuchina
United States
hampton beach
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Does anyone know the recently (5 years old) released or forthcoming game with miniatures, non-cooperative, dice-rolling combat, preferably different races or qualities of different players and magic cards (maybe not magic but maybe different cards bought for some kind of points and having certain effect on enemy\friendly units). Main aim of the game should be eliminating of whole enemy or part of his units. I like such games as Battlelore (and other C@C), Eclipse, Twilight imperium, WizWars, don`t like game of thrones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check these out...

Mage Knight Board Game

Mage Wars Arena

Warparty

Kemet

Magestorm (possibly the best fit)


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Check these out...

Mage Knight Board Game

Mage Wars Arena

Warparty

Kemet

Magestorm (possibly the best fit)

With the exception of Magestorm (and Warparty?), these fit mostly thematically, not really in terms of how they work, right?

For games that play similarly, there's plenty of Commands & Colors games to choose from. My personal recommendation is Commands & Colors: Ancients, but it lacks magic and monsters
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (Second Edition)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
philmcd wrote:
Check these out...

Mage Knight Board Game

Mage Wars Arena

Warparty

Kemet

Magestorm (possibly the best fit)

With the exception of Magestorm (and Warparty?), these fit mostly thematically, not really in terms of how they work, right?

For games that play similarly, there's plenty of Commands & Colors games to choose from. My personal recommendation is Commands & Colors: Ancients, but it lacks magic and monsters


He seemed to be looking for something a bit different, so I didn't include the other C&C games intentionally... rather a spread of overlapping games to a leseer or greater extent, each with a different feel.

Middle-Earth Quest is another one to consider because it is a lot less linear than War of the Ring (Second Edition)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Commands and Colours Ancients fan.

There are also the new games from Osprey, like "In her Majesty's name" and "Of Gods and Mortals". The rulebooks aren't expensive (£12) and come with army lists, and the 'gangs/armies' you play with are small and won't cost much to buy (£25 - £40 per army). You will probably need to paint the models, though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fliers wrote:
Does anyone know the recently (5 years old) released or forthcoming game with miniatures, non-cooperative, dice-rolling combat, preferably different races or qualities of different players and magic cards (maybe not magic but maybe different cards bought for some kind of points and having certain effect on enemy\friendly units). Main aim of the game should be eliminating of whole enemy or part of his units. I like such games as Battlelore (and other C@C), Eclipse, Twilight imperium, WizWars, don`t like game of thrones.


At the risk of stating the obvious.. BattleLore 2nd ed.. More High Fantasy than the original.

for my money, Samurai Battles (the C&C part at least) is very similar the BattleLore (1st ed), but requires less game setup. Building the miniatures is fiddly though. The Honor & Fortune cards are like the Lore cards in BattleLore, but Honor & Fortune tokens are much more integrated into the game.

Lastly, more obtuse is Descent 2, which is recent. Not as combat orientated as the original, more micro-quest orientated, and there is an element of cooperation, but primarily combative. (party vs overlord mechanic).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fliers wrote:
Does anyone know the recently (5 years old) released or forthcoming game with miniatures, non-cooperative, dice-rolling combat, preferably different races or qualities of different players and magic cards (maybe not magic but maybe different cards bought for some kind of points and having certain effect on enemy\friendly units). Main aim of the game should be eliminating of whole enemy or part of his units. I like such games as Battlelore (and other C@C), Eclipse, Twilight imperium, WizWars, don`t like game of thrones.


There is Torn Armour too - though they are having issues getting the minis made so not out yet

Chris
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgenya Chuchina
United States
hampton beach
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Thank you very much, I`ll try war of the ring and mage....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.