Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
This game is getting played every gamenight, and I don't think it's become any less fun for me. I have belatedly realized that this was my best game purchase of 2000, and it will be joining "Take 6" and "Bohnanza" on my "Games Most Given as Gifts" list.

This was the first time Heather and Riley has played this, and I they really enjoyed it (although Heather was killed early in the game, which is always a drag, and I swiped her cards as the Magician). We seemed to have settled into a "kill the Merchant in the beginning, kill the Archetech in the endgame" groove now -- so much so, that we're beginning so see the backlash: the merchant is now routinely passed up in the beginning, and, knowing this, the assassin sometimes chooses someone else. It's only a matter of time until we reach the next stage: players purposely choose the Merchant early because they know the assassin won't target it because he'll assume that no one will take it because they know he'll kill it. And that sentence pretty much sums up what I love about this game.

A very close game -- there were three or four of us that could have run away with it at the end. Melissa was repeatedly robbed because she predictably chose the Merchant in the endgame, but even with having her gold taken she was still raking in so much (because of the all the green buildings she owned) that she was the first to seven buildings. The four points she got for going out first won her the game ... but just barely: Riley, who I don't think anyone really considered a threat, came in second with 23. I'm not sure how he pulled that off, although he did manage to accumulate a building of each color by the end.

Final scores: Melissa = 24; Riley = 23; Matthew = 20; Heather = 19; Isabelle = 16; James = 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.