Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, my gf and I just started our first campaign and after the first quest and the first campaign phase, she said that she'd rather keep her new card a surprise until she played it. I agreed this was very flavorful (I intently abstained from reading the OL cards, knowing she would play the OL as well) but I've been unable to find what the _official_ ruling is.

Did we miss this in the rulebook? Does anyone else play like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is that the overlord purchases are public information. The only thing that the overlord keeps private from the heroes are which cards he has culled from his deck for any particular quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
My interpretation is that the overlord purchases are public information. The only thing that the overlord keeps private from the heroes are which cards he has culled from his deck for any particular quest.

Is that meant to be kept private? I think I've always shown what card I take out.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

Is that meant to be kept private? I think I've always shown what card I take out.

-shnar

I think the rules say that should be private, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, if there's not an official ruling I think we'll keep playing this way.
Though I imagine it's a trouble keeping track of multiple campaigns when the heroes can't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwjmeijer wrote:
I think the rules say that should be private, but I'm not sure.

They do.

I announce which card(s) I'm buying, but I don't see much problem with going either way. The rules don't say. If the OL card purchase is secret, it's only secret until the first time the card is played. I could maybe see the secrecy being an issue if it turns out the purchase itself was illegal (not enough lower-level cards, or something).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the heroes ask to look at the card i buy,i'll show them - but i'll generally just show them the XP # on the bottom of the card to verify im not cheating with spending XP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the overlord know which cards the heroes buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Hero skills/equipment are not hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

-shnar

Definitely. It is written explicitly in the rule book.

Descent 2nd Edition Rulebook, Page 20, Spending Experience Points: Overlord wrote:
Before each quest (but not each encounter), the overlord player may choose to temporarily remove a number of cards from his deck in order to optimize his strategy for the quest. This is done in secret so the hero players do not know which cards the overlord player has removed. He must keep a deck of at least 15 Overlord cards for each quest. Any removed cards are set aside for the duration of the quest. After the quest ends, return any removed cards to his deck of Overlord cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.