El Palíndromo
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Searched through the forums, but couldn't find anything on this.

If I'm up against a Monster and need to pass a Combat check of 10, which would be the correct blessing to use to add 2 dice to my check while using a Light Crossbow ("for your combat check, reveal this card to roll your Dex or Ranged die + 1d8)?

1) Blessing of Erastil: "Discard this card to add 2 dice to a Dex-based combat check"

or

2) Blessing of Gorum: "Discard this card to add 2 dice to a Str-based combat check"

Seems to me that BOGorum would be the right answer because regular combat checks are strength-based unless specified otherwise, amirite? The Light Crossbow doesn't switch the check to a Dex check, it just allows you to use your Dex die for your combat check.

Need a little clarification here.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: funny typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is 'specified otherwise' .. it is specified as either a Dex or Ranged check.
Therefore BoE is the charm of choice

An unarmed combat, ie. one that doesn't use a card that states 'for your combat check...' then you'd use either your Str or Mel stat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciidiic wrote:

1) Blessing of Erastil: "Discard this card to ass 2 dice to a Dex-based combat check"

or

2) Blessing of Gorum: "Discard this card to ass 2 dice to a Str-based combat check"

The problem with either choice is: no one will want to use these dice afterwards.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By playing the Light Crossbow, you have set the combat check for Ranged: Dex. Therefore, since the check is now a Combat Dex check, you would use the BoE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciidiic wrote:
The Light Crossbow doesn't change switch the check to a Dex check, it just allows you to use your Dex die for your combat check.

Using the Dex die means it is now a dexterity based attack.

Same with Ranged, as that is dex + X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Palíndromo
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
The problem with either choice is: no one will want to use these dice afterwards.
TK

Haha! I guess you're right :0)

Thanks for clarifying that for me, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symbiotic Hat

League City
Texas
msg tools
So by this same logic would the Snakeskin Tunic add 1 to a combat check using a ranged (dex) weapon such as the light crossbow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Palíndromo
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what was mentioned above, I would have to say yes.
I've got a little ways to go before I can make it happen, but I'd really like that tunic for Lem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeavis wrote:
So by this same logic would the Snakeskin Tunic add 1 to a combat check using a ranged (dex) weapon such as the light crossbow?

Yep. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.