Polyphemus
United States
flag msg tools
By Homer. You should read it. I'll wait here.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded a new scenario to the files section here. It is intended to be run with characters that have completed the Fan Compilation Adventure Path #1 - Rise of the Pathfinders (who already have their Role cards). You can try it with Official Path characters that have completed Skinsaw, but I'm not sure how they'll do (if successful, characters can take a random weapon or spell from the box as a reward, instead of the skill feat, as not to throw off the Official Path). If anyone gives it a try, please let me know how it goes.

This scenario will eventually be part of the Fan Compilation Adventure Path #2 - Role of the Pathfinders, which will explore the missions the characters go on, as members of the Pathfinder Society. It will probably be awhile before that one is done, as more fan adventures need to be produced, and more cards need to be released for the game. Even with creating custom villain/henchman/location cards, the base cards need to get more difficult for characters that have Role cards plus extra feats; at least in my opinion. I am looking at a couple of the fan adventures that have been written, to see if I can easily up their difficulty, for inclusion in the new path, and I'll post the cards if I'm successful. Or if the adventure/scenario authors want to take a crack at it, that would be great.

Any feedback is appreciate, on this scenario, the new Fan AP idea, the cards, etc. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just played this scenario and thought I'd give you some feedback.

I attempted the scenario with a party of 2 characters - Valeros and Lem - who have completed Skinsaw. I completed the scenario successfully on turn 16.

The card art is good and the text is clear and easy to understand.
The scenario was challenging, but not too difficult.

The only real problem I found is that it's rather repetitive. e.g. I start a turn with 2 characters at a Thassilonian Crypt. The active character gets to fight an Ancient Guardian (combat 12). Then I explore and encouter a Crypt Keeper. Both characters get to fight Ancient Guardians. Then the active character gets to fight the Crypt Keeper (another two Combat 12 checks). If I fail any of those 4 combat checks, the Crypt Keeper is undefeated. If I do defeat him, he flees to another location. Repeat until all three villains are at the same location, then fight them one after another, interspersed with a stream of yet more Ancient Guardians.
Obviously, I would have met less Ancient Guardians if my characters had been at different locations - but these characters are designed to work together, and both benefit greatly from being at the same location.

Improvements? If you could find a more interesting ability for the Crypt Keeper, I think the scenario would be more fun to play.
Alternatively, remove the requirment to defeat all the Ancient Guardians before you can defeat the Crypt Keeper.

Overall, well done - a well designed and interesting challenge, though perhaps not one I would choose to play very often as it stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Polyphemus
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to try out the scenario and provide feedback.

From your write-up, it looks like you made it harder on yourself than I intended. The third line on the Crypt Keeper says "If all Henchmen, and the Thassilonian Crypt Keeper are defeated, you may close this location and banish the Thassilonian Crypt Keeper." My intention here was that if you defeat the Crypt Keeper, and the Ancient Guardian Henchmen that are summoned right before the encounter, then you can banish the Crypt Keeper - meaning he leaves the game, and doesn't run to an open location. So you only have to defeat each Crypt Keeper once, not multiple times. Also, if you lose one of those fights, the Crypt Keeper is shuffled back into the location he came from, not any open location, so you know it's the Crypt Keeper in that particular Crypt, not the Lich King, and no blessings are taken from the Blessing Deck.

My vision for this scenario was that you are sent to defeat the Lich King by the Pathfinder Society. From reports, you know he is in one of three Crypts, but not exactly which one. Since you have to close at least two locations to win the game, no matter how many characters are playing, and the Crypt locations can only be closed by defeating a Villain there (so no temp closes), this forces characters to bunch up at the Crypt locations and close them first. I was going for a feeling of relentless attack, as you try to find the Lich King and defeat his horde of undead protectors.

Knowing that the Crypt Keepers don't run when defeated, and that they stay in their location, even if undefeated, do you still think a change needs to be made to the Crypt Keeper power and that it gets too repetitive? Thanks again for providing feedback, I appreciate getting a different perspective on the scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. As you say, I was playing it wrong.
The scenario would be more straightforward (and shorter) if I had played it correctly.

Why not make the Crypt Keepers henchmen rather than villains? This would be simpler, and avoid the confusion...

As it is the scenario is fine, but not very challenging - combat 12 just isn't that hard to make. That's fine if you want an interesting and fairly routine adventure for level 1 or 2 characters, but if you are setting this as the climax of an adventure path, it really needs to be a lot more challenging. Of course, I've only tried it with 2 characters - perhaps it's a lot harder with more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Polyphemus
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could make the Crypt Keepers henchmen, but I want to keep the Crypt locations from being able to be temp closed, so I'd have to change their "when closing" to defeat a henchman or villain, which isn't too difficult. I may end up doing this, if it helps avoid confusion.

This isn't going to be the climax of the adventure path, just another scenario (probably part of an adventure) towards the beginning of the path. I thought combat 12 might be too low, so I'll probably end up raising it, as you suggest.

Thanks again for playtesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat 12 is fine for the Ancient Guardians, but a bit low for the Crypt Keepers - how about 12 then 14? Or, give them some sort of combat ability (such as make a skill check of difficulty to defeat is increased by 1 or 2)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Polyphemus
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some changes, and you can download the new pdf here. I made the Thassilonian Crypt Keeper more difficult, tweaked the scenario and location rules, and added a card back. I also made the scenario number 7, to correspond to adventure 2(Paying Your Dues) of the FCAP2:The Role of the Pathfinders, of which this will be a part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.