Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Breeden
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The possible move to Tokyo is about to get real so I thought I would start a new more imminent thread with some specific information and some specific questions... so here goes.

We will be setting down in Japan on December 28th. We have been warned by our relocation providers that this is a bad time to arrive in Japan due to new years holiday but my wife start work on January 6th so it so this is the date we're coming. We will be put in temporary housing until we settle on an apartment... which we wont be able to start looking for till the 6th of January. Based on my wife's job and the kids schools we will be looking for something in the central area around Ginza, Hibya, and Yuracucho lines. My children will be taking buses to the American School in Japan, and the International Secondary School.

My first question of this thread is what to do in the week between when we arrive and the 6th of January. With mos government offices, and banks closed we won't be able to do much in the way of getting life started. And with all of the public museums closed till the 2nd there isn't much in the way of entertainment to keep the kids busy. Right now were looking at maybe a day at Disney and a day at Shinagawa Aquarium. Any suggestions to Keep a 10 year old girl and 15year old boy occupied will be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the boy's attitude towards anime and manga, you can drop him in Akihabara and then go on a trip to Hawaii.

Seriously, they're right in that it's a bad time to come to Japan. Not that it won't matter extremely much to you, but that it's family time and you won't know what to do and how, when everyone else are sitting at home with their o-sechi food.

Were I in your shoes, I wouldn't miss Comics Market that's held the 29th to the 31st, but that might not be up your sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Skytree is a great attraction and the attached Solomachi mall has some fairly unique stores. There's an indoor aquarium here as well. Just a few stops away from Ginza/Hibiya area.

Also, I'm not sure but you might be JUST in time to visit Tsukiji Market before it closes and relocates to new digs. May not be one for the kids though.

If you go over to nearby Tokyo Bay, you can checkout Palette Town which has a car theme park, an amusement park and a large ferris wheel. Within Tokyo Bay, the new Divercity mall has a Gundam centre and a huge model standing outside the mall.

Disney is always great especially DisneySea which is one-of-a-kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go on a ski and spa trip?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the children haven't been to Japan before they will probably be entertained by just checking out some of the larger shopping areas (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku) and you can always visit a shrine or 2 if the weather is nice. If you can head out of a town a bit then Chinatown in Yokohama should be fairly lively as well.

I don't know if there are any Round 1 in Tokyo but that can be a fun way to spend an afternoon. You can play videogames, use batting cages, play darts, do karaoke, go roller skating, go bowling and a bunch of other things. There is a set fee for 3 hours or you can get a day pass I think. Definitely a good rain plan, though might be pretty busy and full of high school kids in the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do me a favor and send me back a Japanese girlfriend. I'll pay shipping. My wife says it's ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
coolscribe wrote:
If the children haven't been to Japan before they will probably be entertained by just checking out some of the larger shopping areas (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku) and you can always visit a shrine or 2 if the weather is nice. If you can head out of a town a bit then Chinatown in Yokohama should be fairly lively as well.

I don't know if there are any Round 1 in Tokyo but that can be a fun way to spend an afternoon. You can play videogames, use batting cages, play darts, do karaoke, go roller skating, go bowling and a bunch of other things. There is a set fee for 3 hours or you can get a day pass I think. Definitely a good rain plan, though might be pretty busy and full of high school kids in the holidays.

Great suggestions! I agree. Round 1 is a tonne of fun!! You can stay there the whole day. I love going there. I usually take the day pass and spend most of the day there hehe. Tennis, soccer, all the arcade games you want to play. The roller skating is fun, and they have these mini mini motor bike things. I didn't try them, but they look fun. If you need a tour guide and I'm not doing anything one of those days, I can take you around. There could be a possible game day around then also. Do they play board games?

Shinjuku is a great place to check out with all the Xmas lights.

Odaiba is a great siteseeing spot. I think that's where ChromaticDragon suggested. I love going there. Lots of shopping and games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lundell
Japan
Sakura
Chiba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
come to my house and drink beer and play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Breeden
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.... got a temporary address. We will be living in Shibuya near Omotesando station for the first month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great area! I used to live around Shibuya for almost 7 years. I can recommend some nice restaurants in the area. I still go out dinning in Omotesando once or twice a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah welcome!!
I'm quite close to there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
RBree wrote:
Any suggestions to Keep a 10 year old girl and 15year old boy occupied will be greatly appreciated.

Unless your kids have been to Tokyo before and are somewhat jaded by it, I would think they would enjoy just exploring the city. It is Tokyo one of the world's great cities! They'll need to know the neighborhood and how to use the trains and subways, so maybe an exploratory trip to the schools so they know how to get there and back. It's been many, many, many years, but I'll vouch for ASIJ being an outstanding school. Recently renovated too. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lee
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest the Ghibli Museum, although if I remember correctly foreigners need to get the tickets in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
gormdragan wrote:
I suggest the Ghibli Museum, although if I remember correctly foreigners need to get the tickets in advance.

Everyone does. They can be bought at the LAWSON convenience stores in advance. Those ticket machines have English language selectable. Worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Tokyo. It is kind of awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hem Hemux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
They can be bought at the LAWSON convenience stores in advance.

For months last summer I tried for my woman and I to get us tickets for the museum on loppi, but it is always out of sale! so annoying. Can only wait for coming spring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.