Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I signed up for the BGG.Con flea market this year, but I'm having a lot of last-minute worries about it.

Is it worth it if you are bringing one check bag full of games?

I've got a few higher value OOP items (Star Wars Epic Duels, Doom) that I was hoping would make it worth bringing the bag, and a bunch of less cool stuff that I mostly want to wind up with someone who will use it more.

But I'm very worried that I'll wind up just bringing most of it back home and wasting the cost and inconvenience of the checked bag.

For those who have done the flea market before:

1) Have you managed to sell higher priced games there? Is it worth the trouble?

2) What about inexpensive smaller items? Do most sell, or do you end up with a lot unsold?

3) Any advice to make the experience go smoothly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my experience:

I price my stuff to move, and sell about 70% of what I bring. You've only got an hour, and people are more willing to snatch up a deal than a "I could order that online, let me think about it" item. However, the right out of print item could be a very tempting purchase if it's something the buyer is looking for and you've got the only copy in the room.

I think you have to consider what would be success for you -- Are you looking to get the most money out of your sale? Are you looking to move a certain amount of stuff? Would you be willing to start cutting prices to move the cheaper items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
In the time it's going to take me to type this, somebody probably echoed the same thing. But....

1) Have you managed to sell higher priced games there? Is it worth the trouble?

You'll get a lot of lookie-loos on the OOP stuff, but it's been my experience that if it doesn't get picked up in the first 15 minutes (or before by people already in the flea market during setup time), it'll still be there in the last 15 because people are waiting for the price to come down and they'll start low-balling hoping for a deal. YMMV and it depends on what you're willing to hold onto for later. One thing to be aware of is that unless you've got something that was in limited production to begin with, hardcore collectors will probably have already secured a copy somewhere along the way or picked it up in the virtual flea.

2) What about inexpensive smaller items? Do most sell, or do you end up with a lot unsold?

I find the smaller stuff tends to sell because they're easier to get in the suitcase. Also, the entry price seems to be lower than the big box games. I usually end up giving away some games towards the end just because I'm tired of hauling them in every year. People love free stuff.

3) Any advice to make the experience go smoothly?

PRICE YOUR GAMES! Bring in a sheet of post-its and a marker (put the price on the sticker before you pull it off the pad first, though!) Nice round numbers are always appreciated. Some people wait until setup time to price their games because they want to see if somebody has a copy and what they're charging for it. It's still up to you where you want to set the bar...

Don't be afraid to make the rounds of the tables prior to the doors opening. One of the perks of being a seller is having access to the games before the general population. You may even work out some trades!

Bring lots of 1s, 5s and 10s if you're doing cash. Some people have started using Square or other credit card systems on their smartphones. You don't have to, but it's always an option.

Don't get discouraged if you don't immediately start selling stuff in the first 15. A lot of buyers will make the loop to see what's there (and what people are charging) before they come back.

Don't be afraid to dicker, or of dickering in general. People want a deal. They'll also ask to bundle things or ask for a discount if they're buying multiples.

Arrange and re-arrange your games after a while. Don't assume everybody saw every game you have on the table.

In other words, BE FLEXIBLE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments so far!

Quote:
I think you have to consider what would be success for you -- Are you looking to get the most money out of your sale? Are you looking to move a certain amount of stuff? Would you be willing to start cutting prices to move the cheaper items?

For the better stuff, I'm looking to get them to a person who will play them for a price that I won't feel bad about having let them go for. Though, my pack-rattiness may make it hard to drop too low on those. After all, I might decide I want to play Doom again.

For the other stuff, I mostly want to get it to someone who will like it better for enough to cover the cost and hassle of bringing it along.

There's also an overall goal of freeing up some shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it this way. You can always play Doom at BGG con. That's what I do with Queen's Gambit (as I sit here stroking my original purchase copy, precioous, precious, precious)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put a postit note INSIDE the game if possible with your contact info. One year we had a person accidentally pickup a game from a table & didnt remember where it belonged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Put a postit note INSIDE the game if possible with your contact info. One year we had a person accidentally pickup a game from a table & didnt remember where it belonged

Sounds like good advice! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
In the time it's going to take me to type this, somebody probably echoed the same thing. But....

Great set of advice! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice. Thanks, Brian, for asking.

And thanks to okiedokie for organizing the Flea Market!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Next year check out the Virtual Flea Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

I did, but never found enough spare time to put much on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Morganza wrote:

I did, but never found enough spare time to put much on it.

I bought ten games off the Virtual Flea Market, and I didn't elbow anyone (oops) or knock their games on the floor (gasp). Although there were a couple of deals I missed out on, I'm glad I participated (I have yet to experience the meet up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.