My Baloney
United States
hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi:
I have memoir 44 and battle cry...
I'm thinking about buying this game, but what's with the blocks?
I dont have any block games... what are their effect?
Because they have stickers on one side, do they hide the identify from your opponent ?
the review says "creates a true fog of war". Is that their purpose ?
or something else ?
Please advise. THANKS

I also noticed some other block games:
Europe engulfed
Hammer of the Scots.
Does anybody have any thoughts on these regarding being my first "block" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
C&C isn't a block game in the sense of those other games. C&C has stickers for *both* sides of the blocks. They used blocks as (1) they're print run size is too small to make miniatures viable pricewise and (2) blocks are a lot nicer than cardboard standup counters.

The blocks look great and are a real pleasure to handle in play.

For what it's worth, the game is, as far as I'm concerned, *vastly* superior to Battle Cry (I haven't played Memoir)...much more interesting, more unit types and a little more complexity add up to big time fun.

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brader
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C:A has some significant mechanic improvements over Memoir '44. The new mechanics lend themselves well to the ancient type units. You can see my review for an overview on the new mechanics: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/104714

As an owner of both C&C:A and Memoir '44, I can definitely recommend C&C:A if you even remotely enjoy M '44, as it is a step-up in gaming. The blocks work great - I think even better than the minis.

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's not a "block game" in any way, altho there are some posting around here who have tried to make it one (only putting stickers on one side to hide unit identity) because they think it makes a "better" game. Good luck to them.

I've yet to find anyone who has played (and liked) BC and/or Mem44 who did not like the game mechanics better in C&C. There are those who miss the toy soldiers, but the GAME itself seems to be much more interesting.

Add me to those who prefer the blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a lot of comments by people that have played CC:A and Memoir '44. Many say that CC:A has more depth which they like and that the system fits better with ancient combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I might also add that a "true fog of war" is meant for the cards, not the blocks.

I own Battlecry and C&C and I agree that C&C is a superior game in everyway... the feeling of a real ancient battle, wether true or not, is amazing.

You should also check out some block games, I might recommend Rommel in the Desert (wich might be a little heavy, compared to this game) or Wizard Kings. Also Bonaparte at Marengo is a surprisingly good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He already mentioned Hammer of the Scots, which is a fine game.

Europe Engulfed is a much heavier load, if you aren't that familiar with these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Well I haven't played HotS, but I tried Crusader Rex and must admit I was a bit disapointed... good game and accesible game... but I dunno... didn't have as much fun as with RiD or WK.

I know it's a matter of tastes, those were only my recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
liquidator8 wrote:
Hi:
I have memoir 44 and battle cry...

I should mention that it's quite a bit more complicated than Memoir: so much so that I think it moves out of the category of EuroGame to an unusually fast playing wargame. It plays quickly and beautifully, but there's a lot more rules and, if you've never tried it before, chasing stuff in charts as well. Since the size of battlefields is so small, there is generally a lot less terrain to set up, meaning you can get your battles going a lot quicker than either Memoir or Battle Cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's fast, both playing and setting up (compared to many games.) You really can think about playing all the scenarios "twice," so that each player takes each side once.

I've had 2 occasions where I took someone from zero (never seen the game--in one case, had never played BC or M44 either) and managed 4 scenarios in a session of just over 4 hours. And we both had a blast. Can't say that for many other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.