Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Westfall
United States
East Wakefield
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(i double posted, but after writing this in another 1911 thread response, I thought it might be seen more for quick review hunters here).

I just played this a few times at Lobster Trap 2013 this past weekend (a local Con near Boston), that gets some Essen/Spiel releases to play. This was one of them.

Quick summary: such a great game for a quick, 'race', card game for 2. Wow, I'm always surprised at game design, didn't have too many expectations going into this one, but this one really has some tough choices to balance for it's limited rule set. And, it does it with only a few types of cards and colors. All game you're trying to balance hand size limit, colors of cards needed for you in hand, types of cards needed as penalties to play on opponents, cards that can be used for either yourself or opponent or more deck draw, and timing of when to optimally play them all. Definitely a push/pull/balance resources feel (or in a way, NOT a balance because you have many mini committals to offense, for yourself, then detriment to opponent, aka, sometimes balancing your cards for future hands backfires and you can't do either optimally/efficiently). I hope this helps!

The other fun factor in the game, is that if you collectively go through the source deck 2 times, you both 'freeze to death' on your journey. Just one example of something else to balance within the game (because if you knew you were behind and not going to make it to the pole near game end, you could force the deck to run out sooner, to limit your opponent. This factor, in turn, might make you choose not to punish your opponent the 2nd half of the game, so that they don't do this to you). OMG! I'm going to pre-order it right now!

Great job, design team!

It's incredible to see something so fun, in such a small box. Big thumbs up. This will be a purchase for me, definitely.

edit: Oh, and did I mention asymmetry between the two players, but 'same needs' for a twist! Also, various tweaks with the expansions and alternate rules for even more great replay-ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx, can you say a bit more about what the game is about?
And What the game play is like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perepau LListosella
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon Lee
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kokorin wrote:

You truly did a great job with this one, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Del Álamo
Spain
Loeches
MADRID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that you have made happy to designer and to artist with this review.And,yes, i think also that the game is very tested and balanced.
Both produced the proyect this summer by crowfunfind in spain.

Good good job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.