Subject: Strategic, plan-oriented introductory game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've managed to coerce persuade my friend to come to the local board gaming group I co-organise in a pub in town. I am certain that this guy's ideal for board gaming, he's a Maths/Economics graduate that enjoys formulating plans/strategies to execute and has previously done competitive PC gaming (formerly played in the Starcraft 2 Masters league, though he says that you only really to learn times, counters and how to click fast to be there).

The problem is that he has little experience of board gaming (has played Settlers of Catan and greatly enjoys Risk) and I think he's concerned he'll be overwhelmed by a game's rules. He's mentioned that Axis & Allies looks like the kind of thing he'd be interested in (high complexity with strategy goal elements) but I think that for a first time gaming experience outside of Catan then that's a bit much (not to mention too long for our gaming night).

So, to summarise, I need a game that:

- Has plan-making/strategic elements
- Isn't hideously complicated
- Fits in 2 and a half hours-ish of play time.
- Can be any player number from 2-6ish but ideally multiplayer rather than 1v1 so that the social element of the gaming group is incorporated.

I don't think theme's really any issue and medium complexity is probably ok just so long as there're meaningful decisions to be made in the game.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in buying a new game, or are you restricting the selection to the games you already own? For example, Medici is a simple economic game that our group likes, but I don't see it in your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid would probably work. It's not overly complicated (seems daunting at first, but once you start playing it's not too complex) and it has a lot of thinking ahead type planning. You can buy up resources to block other people from powering cities, or you can save up money and build less to get a strategic spot in the next round, etc. It also feels very mathy/economic because you're balancing your money between building power plants, buying cities and connections, and buying resources (which change in value based on what other players are doing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your owned list I would choose 7 Wonders, Core Worlds or Race for the Galaxy. They are all short enough to get a couple pays in, which he would probably like- one to learn and one to implement a strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Are you interested in buying a new game, or are you restricting the selection to the games you already own? For example, Medici is a simple economic game that our group likes, but I don't see it in your collection.

My collection is basically my family's collection and is massive. The only reason it isn't all on my profile is because I started putting them on one night and ran out of steam of the ones I could remember off the top of my head and haven't been bothered since about going and making a list

That said, I don't own Medici anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a shorter sci-fi game similar to Axis & Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about The Castles of Burgundy? Seems like an easy step up for someone who really enjoys Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sacred Voice wrote:
I've managed to coerce persuade my friend to come to the local board gaming group I co-organise in a pub in town. I am certain that this guy's ideal for board gaming, he's a Maths/Economics graduate that enjoys formulating plans/strategies to execute...

Thoughts?

Sounds like Tigris & Euphrates to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Imperial 2030 is exactly what you're looking for.
Them similar to risk/Axes, with not to complicated rules, and not too long playtime, but very interesting and challenging gameplay. He'll never want to play risk again ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.