Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2-player [+] [View All]
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little interested in the new Biochock Infinite game, but play only with my wife. I've heard this one is good for 2 or 4 - what other games of this genre are good for 2 players?

Has anyone tried playing Risk: Legacy with only 2 players?

edit: MY favorite is War of the Ring. In terms of both theme and gameplay, it is perfect (for me). It is my favorite game of all time. My wife tolerates it She plays it with me for Christmas and my birthday, and on other occasions when we have the time and nothing else to do.

I'm looking for something with interesting combat (involving dice), lots of guys on a map, and a playing time that is around 60-90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions would be:

Claustrophobia
Earth Reborn

Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but both of those are 2 player, dudes on a map games that are really fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I havn't tried Risk Legacy with 2, but seeing how it's like Risk, it's probably not the best with 2.

I did try it with 3-5, and we prefer 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Risk, Nexus Ops or the original- Nexus are really cool games. It plays fine with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore although it can take a while to set up. Battleground might also be worth looking into, if you don't mind having lots of guys on cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet
Cyclades
Nexus Ops
Clash of Cultures
Battles of Westeros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Commands & Colors games. Pick your period: ancients, Napoleonics, American Civil War, Medieval, WWII, or Samurai. 60-90 minutes is about right in playing time. I've been able to play 4 scenarios in an evening (playing each scenario twice switching sides). C&C Napoleonics takes a little bit longer (closer to 90 minutes than 60), as there tends to be more units on the map and infantry units move slowly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

oOOoooo - Kemet, you say??

I had and loved Cyclades, but found the auction with only the two of us to be pretty uninteresting.

I was looking at Kemet, because Matagot always puts out BEAUTIFUL games, but I found that it is not recommended with 2 (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067573/not-recommended-for-...).

I'm also looking for combat with dice - how does the card combat in Kemet work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a much smaller, more abstract game than most have listed here, but I find Hellas to be a really good direct conflict game. It only plays 2 and plays fairly quickly but is very conflict heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Battle of Westeros
One of my go to games for Dudes on a Map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2-player Risk, I'd recommend Plants vs Zombies over Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I had and loved Cyclades, but found the auction with only the two of us to be pretty uninteresting.

I was looking at Kemet, because Matagot always puts out BEAUTIFUL games, but I found that it is not recommended with 2 (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067573/not-recommended-for-...).

I watched the Watch it Played video of them doing a two-player game and came to the conclusion that more players were vastly needed. BattleLore (Second Edition) would be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:

You both pick a card, highest plus bonuses wins. Used cards can't be used again until several combats later. Kemet is the least "Risk like" of those I've seen listed so far. It's all about working up combos to score based on board position. Controlling temples is the goal, victory in combat just slows your opponent down slightly. The minis are pretty, but that giant spider? Just gives the army it's with an extra movement, etc. (Dont't torch me if I picked the wrong example power, it's been a while since I played.)

I'd bet you'd love Nexus Ops, it requires confrontation since that's the only way to score points. Plus you can amass lots of troops for fairly large battles. Combat is dice based, nothing abstract like auctions, action spaces, etc.

Claustrophobia is awesome. Two player by design, not as many troops, but the "exhausted" abilities coupled with the varied movements really build up the fighting in a tunnel to hell theme nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it's not strictly a dudes on a map game I think Neuroshima Hex is worth mentioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite wide scale, but have a look at Summoner Wars: Master Set (or smaller sets)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures does everything you're looking for, except that it takes 60m per player (less with experience). Dice based combat, great miniatures, plays very well with 2, etc

The expansion coming out soon will add MOAR miniatures (elephants!) and other cool stuff. The rules are pretty streamlined as well, especially if you print out the awesome player aid in the files section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games somehow not on this list already:

Antike Duellum
Risk: Balance of Power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd consider something with no dice, take a look at any from the Dungeon Command family.

Let us know what you're going to get once you've decided yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George C.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
For 2-player Risk, I'd recommend Plants vs Zombies over Legacy.

+1 to this. I actually picked this up for a friend that really like Risk, but plays mostly 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel of Ages II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Command does not involve dice, but involves interesting card based combat. Units either do their set amount of damage, or special amounts of damage through cards. This allows for bluffing as the non-active player can play cards to negate or reduce damage from attacks. Two sets are commended for two player play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
If you'd consider something with no dice, take a look at any from the Dungeon Command family.

Let us know what you're going to get once you've decided yeah!

I went with Risk: Plants vs Zombies, and Nexus Ops.

Risk is now listed for sale on eBay, and I'm looking to possibly trade for another copy of Nexus Ops to have bigger maps and more units for more epic two player games. =)

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Also, been looking at Fortress America. How is this with 2? I feel like it would be longer than we'd like.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.