Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it legal to attempt a throw knowing you can't get any successes on the initial throw?

For example, Jack A wants to throw to Striker B. The throw is a 9 hex throw, and the Jack took a step before the throw. He'd start with 1d6, but get -1d6 for moving (not worrying about opponent's threat hexes and not using coaching dice). Therefore, he would automatically get no dice to roll and couldn't get any successes. However, I believe the Striker gets a +1d6 to try to catch the ball since it's an inaccurate throw.

It almost seems like a Hail Mary pass in football where the QB throws it up for grabs & hopes that his receiver can come down with it. I didn't see anything prohibiting it in the rules, but wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially would have said 'Yes' because even with zero successes, the Striker has a dice he can use to catch it.

Looking up the dice rules, though, indicates 'No'.
Page 27 says if "...modifiers reduce the number of dice you can roll to zero or less...You cannot make this roll without using Coaching Dice..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a big debate going on about it in the Dreadball Fanatics Facebook group and apparently Jake is going to give an official ruling soon. I agree with Daron though, that once you get down to 0 dice then you can't throw the ball. Otherwise it becomes too easy to just start deliberately throwing the balls miles down the pitch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a concern regarding consistency in the rules regarding this issue. If you are NOT allowed take an action that you know you're rolling zero dice for, how is it that Jacks are required to "attempt" to catch a scattering ball that comes to them, even though they can roll zero dice, & will automatically fail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Hose
msg tools
Page 27:
"If the modifiers reduce the number of dice you can roll
to zero or less then count this as no dice. You cannot
make this roll without using Coaching Dice (see below)."

i would say you can throw but you MUST use a coaching dice, to have at least 1 dice.

Page 39:
"Note that even an inaccurate Throw be caught by a Striker
because he has +1 dice. You can also use Coaching Dice to try
to catch inaccurate Throws with any Striker, Jack or Keeper."

A striker could try to catch it (with +1 and/or coaching dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
I have a concern regarding consistency in the rules regarding this issue. If you are NOT allowed take an action that you know you're rolling zero dice for, how is it that Jacks are required to "attempt" to catch a scattering ball that comes to them, even though they can roll zero dice, & will automatically fail?

Interesting point.

I can only point to the no dice/no action implied-ness and the statement that players won't throw away the ball ever (except as an offensive weapon).

If we consider consistency to be that players will do their best to get/keep possession of the ball---then that logic sort of makes sense with no dice/no throw but MUST try to catch (you can always refuse to use the coaching dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roosta13 wrote:
Page 27:
"If the modifiers reduce the number of dice you can roll
to zero or less then count this as no dice. You cannot
make this roll without using Coaching Dice (see below)."

i would say you can throw but you MUST use a coaching dice, to have at least 1 dice.

Page 39:
"Note that even an inaccurate Throw be caught by a Striker
because he has +1 dice. You can also use Coaching Dice to try
to catch inaccurate Throws with any Striker, Jack or Keeper."

A striker could try to catch it (with +1 and/or coaching dice).

Agreed. If you have a coaching dice then you would be able to make the throw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.