Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked into this one because I am tapped out from kickstarter but it's still intriguing to me. I only have 3 days left to decide so how much would it be to get into this game? There are a lot of add ons, could someone give me a breakdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That partly depends on if you want the Collector's edition with the resin figures or just the base game with the plastic figures. Were you looking for cost both directions or one in particular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyrek wrote:
That partly depends on if you want the Collector's edition with the resin figures or just the base game with the plastic figures. Were you looking for cost both directions or one in particular?

I don't care about resin, but it appears some figures are only available that way. Another reason I'm confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends what you want. Single journey at $100 plus $30 shipping if you're outside the US, Hong Kong or China gets you the complete core boxed game and all the boxed game upgrades - that's in plastic.
Picture at http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_-DJAAeLu80/Uop-RjBJ3WI/AAAAAAAAAI...

You may want to add the centipede demon at $20 as he's a KS exclusive, only available in resin for now.

After that, it's up to you, you can take a higher pledge if you want resin for painting for display, or you can take add ons.
Right now it's only the centipede, Garvok, the scenery & the bone demon add ons that are not available in plastic. Things could change.
Plastic Garvok is in the Soul Hunter bundle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Skyrek wrote:

I don't care about resin, but it appears some figures are only available that way. Another reason I'm confused.

Base pledge for game with bonuses is Single Journey $100

Jiangshi bundle $15 (4 Jiangshi and a coffin)
Yau Set $12 (this brings you up to the recommended number of Yau)
Hunters & Cleansers Set #1 $21 (set 2 is a bit cheaper, but that's beause those that pledged early got one of them for fee)
White Demons Expansion $48
Ugragosa Centipede Demon $20 (resin only currently)

$216 total currently for everything above.

If you wanted the female alternate Tripitaka and didn't pledge in time for that for free it is $15

Scenery options are also available in resin, but not necessary to play the game as they are cardboard counters in the box as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said I am not much for painting or miniature games. I mainly play solo and with my girlfriend. I already backed Myth because of the unique card driven mechanic, what does this game offer besides pretty figures? Do I really need both? I am more interested in gameplay than what they figures look like (otherwise I would have backed KDM)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat is very location-based, as each character can only attack certain squares surrounding them. I'm not sure how anyone but you could answer if you need both, but I don't see why you would, because for most backers, the theme is a plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Myth also. Definitely can't wait for it to arrive after the holidays.

For me it is about the setting and mythology behind it. The minis do look awesome though, which is a plus. I do find it interesting that the monsters are all trying to aim for Tripitaka so they will all be gunning straight for him unless the other pilgrims intervene in their paths to protect him/her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also backed Myth As for Journey.....
Personally I like the setting & that it's a co op game. There is a rich cultural history behind the characters in the game. It looks beautiful and it is a relatively novel setting for a board game.
From what we've seen of the gameplay updates and video tutorials, Marrow is working hard to put replayability in the game. There are lots of small tweaks that players can make to keep it different every time. I also like their push to have relatively simple game mechanics with most of the info you need to actually play on the cards in your hand and on the table. I'm not a big fan of always having to stop play to look things up in the rule book.
Even tho the mechanic is straightforward, it looks like there's a fair bit of strategy, all the Pilgrims have different strengths & weaknesses, movement, area of attack etc
Anyway, Just my personal opinion, but I like what I've seen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some of the highlights for me.

1. The combat seems very tactical. Every character has their own set of movement points that they can spend each turn. It's not a lot, like maybe 3-4 usually. Turning in this game takes a movement point, so you have to carefully plan out where you're going to go.

This goes along with each character having their own attack patterns. It's not just run up beside someone and roll some dice. You have to position your character so you can get the most effect from your attack pattern.

Then there's the matter of killing, you have to carefully chose whether to kill a demon and gain negative karma. Which if you accrue too much will give your character penalties. Or, you can cleanse the demon and gain positive karma which will level up your character. However, if you fail your cleanse roll the demon gets back up at full strength.

There are 3 soul hunters and 2 cleansers you can summon to aid you in the fight. They are weaker than pilgrims but act as followers, however they also come with drawbacks that you have to balance. The soul hunters for instance never cleanse the demons so you'll be racking up negative karma while they're summoned.

2. Spawning seems to be a bit like Zombicide, each mission will have set spawn points where you draw a demon card per spawn point. They will spawn every turn and head towards Tripitaka. Some missions will allow you to close or destroy spawn points.

3. Side quests, each mission will have optional side quests that you can complete. They haven't gotten into much detail on this.

4. Interesting kickstarter exclusives like the nightmare deck, more fortune/misfortune cards, and skill cards. These will allow you to tweak the difficulty for harder games.

5. Each pilgrim comes with their own skill deck of 10+ unique cards. You start with 2 and may be allowed to draw more during the game. These are powerful abilities that can aid you in the quest.

6. There are boxes on the map to search, you can find treasure in them or they may contain traps.

7. There are obstacles, obstructions, and locked doors on the map that will effect the flow of combat making each tile unique. For instance, some tiles will have water that takes double the movement points to move through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently at:
$100 for the base game + base game upgrades
$22 for the cleaner/hunter bundle
$48 for the white bone demons expansion

no resin, all plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhchan wrote:
I'm currently at:
$100 for the base game + base game upgrades
$22 for the cleaner/hunter bundle
$48 for the white bone demons expansion

no resin, all plastic.

Same here + $15 for Jiangshis.

I don't care about resin as I am not a painter. This gives me all different sculpts in plastic except Ugragosa which is resin only. I will add him if he goes plastic though. I don't care about scenery elements so I won't be adding any of those even if they go plastic.

That is $185 total and it gives at least one of each different gameplay element (enemies, allies, cards, tiles etc.).

If I wanted more I would throw in another $21 to get a complete upper limit Jing/Zing Yau set, but I don't feel compelled to do it since Marrow has repeatedly said that even one (or none) of each is a good number.

If you are confused by this think that having a full set only makes the appearance of this kind of demons more common and delays the point at which the demons get badder due to running out of figures, so it leads to potentially having larger hordes on the board. It possibly changes the difficulty, but I don't know if it is for better or worse. It might not do either and just be forcing you to follow different tactics though. I 'll have to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also interested in getting all the gameplay elements, especially any KS-exclusive ones, but I'm also confused.

I'm currently looking at getting the following:
$180 Premium Journey
$48 White Bone Demons Expansion
$22 Soul Hunters & Cleansers Set 1 (includes Soul Hunters Xi Fung, Garvok, and Warrior Tang, and cleansers Zhilan and Peng)
$15 Alternative Tripitaka Sculpt (resin) -- 1 day too late to get it for free

Things I already get:
$0 Jiangshi (Resin), free for $320+ pledge (4-8 recommended)
$0 Xiao Yan (Resin), free with the Premium Journey
Berrok Bull Warriors: 4 in boxed game upgrade
Bharhaz Bull Archers: 2 in boxed game upgrade
Borrack Bull General: 1 in boxed game upgrade
Zing Yau: 1 in boxed game upgrade, 2 in collector's upgrade (limit of 2-3 recommended)
Jing Yau: 2 in boxed game upgrade, 1 in collector's upgrade (limit of 5-7 recommended)
Boof Bullservers: already 2 in the boxed game upgrade
Ugragosa Centipede Demon: already in collector's upgrade

Question: should I get more Jiangshi even if I end up getting a free one? If so, should I get 1 or two more sets? Should I get more Jing Yau (I have 3, 5-7 recommended). Might I want the White Bone Demons Bundle? What does the Double Nightmare set do for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I'm also interested in getting all the gameplay elements, especially any KS-exclusive ones, but I'm also confused.

Question: should I get more Jiangshi even if I end up getting a free one? If so, should I get 1 or two more sets? Should I get more Jing Yau (I have 3, 5-7 recommended). Might I want the White Bone Demons Bundle? What does the Double Nightmare set do for me?

I'd recommend at least one set of the Jiangshi. That way you have at least 5 of them. I'm not sure a second set would be necessary at that point and likely would depend on how you feel about doing that and of course your cash situation.

I'd probably say get at least a couple more Yau to bring you up to the 5 mark. I don't know what the big difference would be in game, but given they recommend 5-7 I'd probably say at least have 5 on hand.

The White Bone Demons look great and they add more enemy types and variety to the game. I am biased as I like adding in variety, but I'd say give it a serious consideration. They did say you could even put a bit of them in to the normal missions to make them more varied on replays.

The Double Nightmare from my understanding is mainly for those that want to add a lot more bull figures to their game and also for those that might be looking to make their own custom scenarios that are maybe more epic or more difficult. They basically added it as a way for people to get the main components that people were after and pledging for another full set of the game for. Which is nice as they help to save their backers some money that way. It is a give or take option in my opinion depending on if either of those reasons appeal to you.

Hopefully that helps some

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyrek wrote:

It does, thanks!

The White Bones Demons are just duplicates of the ones in the expansion, right? So if you want more of those in your expansion or base games then you can buy them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate all the input but I've decided to pass. I never was into the tv show or books and the theme isn't that appealing to me, plus I like MYTH more. Best of luck to the game and it's backers. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK Thomas, best of luck to you too.

Out of curiosity, are you backing Shadows of Brimstone? I think I saw your avatar somewhere...
If you are indeed backing SoB, what made you choose it over Journey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Skyrek wrote:

It does, thanks!

The White Bones Demons are just duplicates of the ones in the expansion, right? So if you want more of those in your expansion or base games then you can buy them?

You're welcome!

Right, the individual White Bones are if you don't want the expansion in full or wanted to add more of any particular type to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
OK Thomas, best of luck to you too.

Out of curiosity, are you backing Shadows of Brimstone? I think I saw your avatar somewhere...
If you are indeed backing SoB, what made you choose it over Journey?

I am at the outlaw tier. I like the open ended setting and quest system. I am also a fan of all the ffp titles. I Mainly didn't back Journey because of MYTH though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
Same here + $15 for Jiangshis.

hmm, i waffled back and forth since posting... went up to $250 for the Premium instead of the Single... just went back down to the Single.

62 more hours to figure out if I want resin or not... the Prem makes the most sense though, from a mini-for-buck perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.