Popular Tags: [View All]
David Grietens
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a certain age, like me, and you have always been fond of gaming, and you love to log your plays in BGG, then you probably have the same problem like me.

A lot of games from my youth, I have played many times when i was a little boy, but off course, I couldn't enter them in BGG then, because BGG didn't exist.

Now that all my games are registered in BGG, also those that I played as a child, these games of my youth show up in my (friendless) statistics, and also here in my collection list, as unplayed. This is off course not correct.

A lot of people have made a "workaround' by adding fictive game plays on a certain date in the past, indicating they once played this game many times, but they don't have the exact dates or number of times they played.

So my request is, wouldn't it be possible to have a checkbox with every game, or something else where I can indicate that i did play the game "once, or more than once" (could be 2 checkboxes), but i don't need to specify the exact number or dates.

That way statistics could take into account that this game is not "unplayed".
It also helps to see which games i really didn't play yet.

Including such a feature would also be beneficial for people that don't want to enter all their play details, but still want to register if they have played a game or not. And if they have played it only once, or more than once.
Entering play details could then automatically set the flag played once and played more than once.

What do others think of this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of suggestion has certainly come up before.

I'd like some way to indicate "I have unlogged plays of this game", but I don't personally feel a need to distinguish "once" or "more than once". It seems like unneeded complexity/confusion, e.g. when searching/analyzing data. So a single checkbox "I have unlogged plays of this game" would suffice for me and perhaps be simpler/clearer.

Magritte wrote:
So my request is, wouldn't it be possible to have a checkbox with every game, or something else where I can indicate that i did play the game "once, or more than once" (could be 2 checkboxes), but i don't need to specify the exact number or dates.

2 checkboxes wouldn't make sense because there are 4 ways to set them, so you could inconsistently indicate that you've played it more than once but haven't played it once. Actually it is confusingly ambiguous, now that I think about it: does "once" mean "exactly once" or "at least once"? It would need to be a single 3-valued field to avoid that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as you stated - I have my workaround. Games with a date of 0000-00-00 (or N/A) are games played in dark days - before I started to use BGG.

I used to write into the box lid how often I played that particular game. Games without that information are simply estimations ... I can't remember how many games of Schnapsen I played against my father, but a simply guess does it for me.

Having a checkbox outside the game recording feature is somewhat counterproductive for the owners of the site, as they want people to log their games.

Logging a "dummy game" comprises of more clicks than simply checking a checkbox, but on the other hand, it goes along with your "real played" logged games; so for statistics and analysis, it could be worth the few extra clicks.

Just my 2 cents meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
My usual workaround is similar - pick a date from the dim dark past (before I signed up to BGG) and record one play of the game.

But Russ' suggestion for "played but not logged" is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grietens
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried logging fictive games on very early date, but it gave problems in certain lists where they didn't show up , while they should have. I cannot remember exactly where that was.

By logging a fictive play, you are indeed saying how many times you have played it (1 time by default, and more if you care to put in a wild guess at the "number of times played" field).

But what is needed is something to say, i have played this game, don't know how many times, and i don't want to make a wild guess.

I agree that the two checkboxes that I proposed should actually be a radio button, or popup or something in that style, so that it's one or the other.
(not played-played once-played more than once).
(But I'm also ok when there is no "played more than once" option)

I don't understand the argument that the site owners want its users to log their plays. The software should adapt to its users needs, not the other way around.
If there are people that don't care logging their plays, but still want to have an overview of which games they have already played, that is their good right. Why force people to log details, and punish them when they don't????

Actually I'm someone that logs all play details. But I know very few people that would ever consider doing that. In fact, my fellow players often look strangely to me when i tell them i log my plays. So I doubt if omitting a useful feature is ever going to change that. Actually i know for sure it won't.

So please dear developers of BGG, consider this request.
Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magritte wrote:
I don't understand the argument that the site owners want its users to log their plays.

Having users frequent the site more often (by offering good content, collection tracking, game logging, etc.) you get more hits and therefore more money for your ads. At least, I always thought so.

Another suggestion: What about the ratings box? When you have played a game, rate it. So every rating > 0 is a played game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grietens
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Magritte wrote:
I don't understand the argument that the site owners want its users to log their plays.

Having users frequent the site more often (by offering good content, collection tracking, game logging, etc.) you get more hits and therefore more money for your ads. At least, I always thought so.

Another suggestion: What about the ratings box? When you have played a game, rate it. So every rating > 0 is a played game.

Workarounds. I have never liked them :-) They just show how lazy your developers are :-)

If you would add the checkbox "played" that would also increase the number of visits, since it could encourage people that don't enter play details now, to use this checkbox.
I don't have the exact numbers, but i'm guessing that the majority of members doesn't log any play details now. That could change with this "light" feature to log your plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magritte wrote:
But what is needed is something to say, i have played this game, don't know how many times, and i don't want to make a wild guess.

I agree that the two checkboxes that I proposed should actually be a radio button, or popup or something in that style, so that it's one or the other.
(not played-played once-played more than once).

Why is the distinction between "1" and "more than 1" so important?
What if know you played the game, but you aren't sure how many times: was it only once or was it twice? You're forcing yourself to make a guess about how many times, which you supposedly don't want to do.

I'm not just being hypothetical; I have plenty of games which I would mark "played but not logged", yet it was so long ago that I'm not sure if I've played them more than once.

And if you want to indicate not merely that you played it, but some information about your estimated quantity of unlogged plays, then why stop at "1" and "more than 1"? Why not distinguish also between "2" and "more than 2"? It could just be an integer field where you type your estimated number of unlogged plays.

To me, a binary option seems much simpler and easier...

Quote:

Yeah, I didn't understand that one either.

Most people won't log each play, but some of them might go to the trouble of clicking a checkbox one time to indicate having played a game. And people who already log aren't going to stop just because of the existence of an "I have unlogged plays" checkbox.

So I'd expect that this feature would cause more analyzable data to go into the database, rather than less data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grietens
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Why is the distinction between "1" and "more than 1" so important?.

Not saying it is "so" important.

But, there are a lot of games that I only played once. And there are a lot from my youth, that I know I played a lot.
It says something about the game, don't you think? A game that you played often, probably was better than one that you played once, and then no more.

I happen to know of most games, which one i played often, which ones i played once. I guess I'm not the only one.

I just thought, if someone would introduce this kind of feature, it could be interesting to have the option to differentiate between 1 and more than 1.
I actually don't see a reason not to do this.

But as said above, i would already be happy with a checkbox "Played" or "Unlogged plays" (which is actually something else, because with this, it would be possible that you have logged plays, but you know you didn't log them all, which would also be handy actually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stick unplayed games in your "want to play" list ... your done.

... and if you just simply enter a quick rating for any game you have ever played then if it has a rating if you've played it ... and if it doesn't you haven't played it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasss333 wrote:
Just stick unplayed games in your "want to play" list ... your done.

2 problems:

1. This means that by default you've played every game until you mark it "want to play".

2. Many people use "want to play" quite reasonably to mean literally that they want to play it - regardless of whether they've already played it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2 problems:
1. This means that by default you've played every game until you mark it "want to play".

... well yes, you actually have to make the effort to mark down the games you never played ... but really isn't that the whole idea?
Quote:

2. Many people use "want to play" quite reasonably to mean literally that they want to play it - regardless of whether they've already played it or not.

... Russ, I can see that you use the "want to play" field in a broad sense to also include games you have already played and "want to play" ... but the majority of other poster don't even use this field for anything .. so this gives it a useful purpose and a second simple solution to the problem above. In your case I would just recommend you make sure you put a rating under each game you have played ... those unrated in your collection are your unplayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasss333 wrote:
Quote:
2 problems:

... well yes, you actually have to make the effort to mark down the games you never played ... but really isn't that the whole idea?

Hmm, considering that I have probably not played 99% of the tens of thousands of games in the BGG database, I don't see how the whole idea could possibly be that one would want to actively mark all the games which one has not played, instead of actively marking the much smaller number of games which one has played...?!

We seem to be on different wavelengths!

(EDIT: it occurs to me that you may be thinking only of marking unplayed games which one owns...? But I (and I suppose many others) have played many games which I don't own.)

Quote:
I would just recommend you make sure you put a rating under each game you have played ... those unrated in your collection are your unplayed.

This certainly seems a more practical approach indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.