United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eternal Dynasty

Hi, folks, it's that time of year again when my self-esteem needs to be knocked down a few pegs!

I experienced some terrific success with soliciting feedback on my Kickstarter campaign page here for Hero Brigade, so I'd like to ask again for your help. Please check out the campaign page and leave any comments here or on the KS preview page itself.

The intro video and game-play videos are not yet complete but I plan on finishing those up over the next couple of weeks. The Kickstarter campaign is scheduled to launch January 15th to coincide with another BGG Contest. I plan on doing a quick round of revisions after initial feedback here and then asking again shortly before the launch date to see if there's anything that's been missed. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

http://tinyurl.com/EternalDynastyKS

Preview link disabled for now! Will reactivate it when the videos are filmed and we're closer to the launch date. Thanks for all of the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, clear, and shows all necessary and relevant information. Bonus for having an amusing opener (I'm a sucker for "If X, Y, and Z had a baby, here it is!"). Sorry, couldn't smash your self-esteem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan, Ricky: Thanks for the initial thoughts! I definitely had a better idea of what I was doing the second time around, so maybe less ego-smashing is in order this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Harkey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A thoroughly entertaining read. Love the look, I'm interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Alex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you had more characters like the awesome eyepatch guy. Otherwise, looks pretty professional to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt: Thanks! There are a few more unique-looking characters, but most of the rulers are typical nobles, so they are going to be dressed more or less in a similar fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david fillis
England
Southport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Looks fantastic - terrific job with the art. I foresee myself backing this straight away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, David! Circle January 15th on your calendar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah Nick this is a GREAT improvement over your first pitch for hero brigade, and an intriguing looking game with really awesome art (yours again?). I want to back it already.

But I'm gonna have to think hard about it at $30 extra for international when I'll be able to get it far cheaper at MSRP in Australia.

I know I know. Game salute and USPS. God i wish they would start using the amazon method and giving everyone free postage and increasing your backer numbers by 20+%...

Best of luck with this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Kuschke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks really nice, especially the character art!
Have you considered adding an early bird pledge for a few dollars less (e.g. 50$)? Saw this working very well for some other campaigns to get to their goal faster. Also it would fill the huge gap between 10$ and 55$ a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool. I've set a reminder for when the KS starts. Neat artwork, and I like the "generational" idea.

Plus it avoids any of my three strikes with no zombies, zeppelins or medieval Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrebach wrote:
Yeah Nick this is a GREAT improvement over your first pitch for hero brigade, and an intriguing looking game with really awesome art (yours again?). I want to back it already.

But I'm gonna have to think hard about it at $30 extra for international when I'll be able to get it far cheaper at MSRP in Australia.

I know I know. Game salute and USPS. God i wish they would start using the amazon method and giving everyone free postage and increasing your backer numbers by 20+%...

Best of luck with this though.

Kim, thanks! Art for Eternal Dynasty is done by Lea Segarra, one of the same artists for Hero Brigade. I know international shipping is going to be an issue for some folks, as it always is. I have been looking into Amazon fulfillment. If I ever get to the point where I can launch a game solo, I will strongly consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Amrac wrote:
Looks really nice, especially the character art!
Have you considered adding an early bird pledge for a few dollars less (e.g. 50$)? Saw this working very well for some other campaigns to get to their goal faster. Also it would fill the huge gap between 10$ and 55$ a bit.

I've considered an Early Bird, but I feel like all of the pledges are "Early Bird" specials over what will be the normal MSRP. As a backer, I always feel let down when I discover a campaign that I really love but the Early Bird slots are all filled. I understand the power they can have for an early push, though, as a project creator.

bird94us wrote:
Looks cool. I've set a reminder for when the KS starts. Neat artwork, and I like the "generational" idea.

Plus it avoids any of my three strikes with no zombies, zeppelins or medieval Europe.

The strongest thematic inspiration for the game was the old Koei Romance of the 3 Kingdoms video games. I think this game has a lot of unique elements for both theme and gameplay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yutingxiang wrote:
The strongest thematic inspiration for the game was the old Koei Romance of the 3 Kingdoms video games. I think this game has a lot of unique elements for both theme and gameplay!

Will we be able to win battles by starting massive fires?

Just kidding. This game looks much more high-level than that, but I've always thought that was a great add to the Koei game that other ancient wargames should explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig:

Oh, that brings back memories. That was such a great way to hit the enemy's food supply! Sadly, I did not think of that when designing this game, but it could certainly be a mechanic for a future game in which your supply train is an element!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yutingxiang wrote:
Craig:

Oh, that brings back memories. That was such a great way to hit the enemy's food supply! Sadly, I did not think of that when designing this game, but it could certainly be a mechanic for a future game in which your supply train is an element!

Yep, those were the days. I think, between RotTK and Genghis Khan, I still owe my college town's video rental store about $8,000 in late fees.

"Crap, they've got hundreds of troops, and I only have three infantry units. But wait...their backs are to a river, they have to cross a wide plain to get to me, and the wind's at my back. There might be a chance. Light those torches, men!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Hero Brigade could have handled 1 or 2 things a bit better, but by and large I thought it was criminally under funded for the quality of the presentation. I'm excited to receive my copy in the near future.

If that game plays as well as it was presented, I'll be sure to support Eternal Dynasty and encourage my friends to do likewise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludus Rex wrote:
I thought Hero Brigade could have handled 1 or 2 things a bit better, but by and large I thought it was criminally under funded for the quality of the presentation. I'm excited to receive my copy in the near future.

If that game plays as well as it was presented, I'll be sure to support Eternal Dynasty and encourage my friends to do likewise.

Christopher: That's great to hear! I can't complain too much about the funding level of Hero Brigade, as it did finish 300% over goal. I appreciate the support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
First impressions:

+ Art: thematic without being overbearing.
+ Theme: RotTK is a favorite of mine, and ancient China isn't exactly overused as a board game theme. Fresh.
+ Few pledge levels. Yes, that's a positive for me, as it lets me quickly get a grip on what I'm getting.
+ International shipping included in the pledge.
+ Game Salute, that's a seal of quality.
+ Rules available.

- Presentation text. Looking at it as a copywriter; you're leading with your accomplishments rather than your game or theme. I'd lead with the second paragraph and leave the first one for a "About the Designer" section. Also, you're talking about yourself in the why KS section and the stretch goals. As a potential client I want to know about ME, not you. What does this game do for me? What advantages will KS have for me? What's so great about the stretch goals for me?
- Link below the images. I expected a presentation page about the artist, not a screenshot from PS.
- Video, the ruler presentation feels amateurish and the lightning is somewhat off. The problem is that the speaker repeats himself several times and it feels like he doesn't have enough to say about it. Write the presentation up, rehearse it and handle it like an elevator pitch.

Hope it helps! Don't hesitate to PM me any questions if I'm unclear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback, Filip, thank you!

filwi wrote:
First impressions:
- Presentation text. Looking at it as a copywriter; you're leading with your accomplishments rather than your game or theme. I'd lead with the second paragraph and leave the first one for a "About the Designer" section. Also, you're talking about yourself in the why KS section and the stretch goals. As a potential client I want to know about ME, not you. What does this game do for me? What advantages will KS have for me? What's so great about the stretch goals for me?

Excellent points, I'll think about re-wording some of these sections.

Quote:

- Link below the images. I expected a presentation page about the artist, not a screenshot from PS.

I ended up taking this link out completely. I'm not sure how much it added to the art that's already showing.

Quote:

- Video, the ruler presentation feels amateurish and the lightning is somewhat off. The problem is that the speaker repeats himself several times and it feels like he doesn't have enough to say about it. Write the presentation up, rehearse it and handle it like an elevator pitch.

Yeah, I didn't rehearse the video. I might re-do this with a more pre-planned script. Videos will probably be the weakest part about the campaign page, but I still have two months to work on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.