Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Are other folks aware of this?

If not, would it have been obvious wandering around a series of gaming tables and seeing it for the first time? Especially with a context like 1 to 3 people or so just sitting around there either chatting/eating/on their phones/whatever, but clearly not actually playing the game. If the game's still in the box, or being set up, that should be obvious. Even if the board's already out, if you don't mind staring for a bit, it should become clear that no one's thinking, let alone making a move, and that the game hasn't started yet.

Although some have asked me if they can join, or I if I could join with the intent correctly guessed, I've still seen enough confused looks to make me think otherwise. Does anybody else use this system?

Poll: How many of you know or would think a propped up box top means 'seeking players'?

Click on photo for example
Poll originally appeared in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1073296/propping-the-box...

Basically, you see more of this in large get-togethers (30+ attendees with 6+ tables, but especially at conventions).
1. Did you know of this idea?
Yes, and I tried it myself, with GOOD success.
Yes, and I tried it myself, with LOW success.
Yes, and I tried it myself, with NO success.
Yes, I've seen OTHERS do it with GOOD success.
Yes, I've seen OTHERS do it with LOW success.
Yes, I've seen OTHERS do it with NO success.
No, but I would've figured it out.
No, and wouldn't have known that the person is seeking gamers.
No, and I would've thought this was done for some other reason.
2. What do you think of this idea?
2 - great idea
1 -
0 - neutral
-1 -
-2 - horrible idea
N/A - I honestly don't know
      164 answers
Poll created by ackmondual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Give us lettuce or give us death (or carrots).
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: propping the box top upright to signal 'seeking gamers'
Never heard of it myself, but it sounds like a good, intuitive idea. I wouldn't necessarily expect everyone to know what it means, but it is good for those who do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not aware of it, but a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I set up the box that way while playing, not as a "seeking gamers" signal. At cons, I prefer to use little orange cones that say "Players Wanted" on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this, but am not sure if they were successful or not. I assumed that this was the intent, but I was already planning to play another game with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is room, I do this just for ombiance.
Most large gatherings I've been to have cones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've always seen this done at cons just so people can see what the game being played is. I would not assume this meant seeking players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this done just to forestall the inevitable "hey, whatcha playin' there" question. So I wouldn't necessarily assume anything further was meant by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have never guessed that this act was meant to signal "seeking gamers". I'm not sure this would ever catch on unless there was a major effort to educate people to the meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I often see it at cons so that the people playing don't have to answer what game is getting played and/or 'attracting' people to the product while playing.

Makes random pictures at the con easier to identify later too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
We would do this at open gaming night at our FLGS but not to signal that we were seeking gamers. It was to prevent the "whatchya playin?" questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 passive aggressively letting others know what is being played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have known what it meant, but I wouldn't have guessed preempting questions either. I like when people ask what I'm playing. Its the start of a conversation that hopefully leads another Magic/Warhammer player over my side robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of it, but its a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
As-is: prevent "what are you playing" questions

Put a post-it note on it saying "players wanted": unambiguous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like the idea. There are too many reasons why you would or would not want to have the box propped up like that to use it as a signal.

Like others said. At cons propping it up like that shows everyone what is being played. If you were to use it as a signal you'd have to take it down as soon as you start playing.

Also depending on the space available it might not be feasible to do this.

I personally dislike propping up a game like this. I feel the box lid gets in the way if I need to access the box. Also this seems like a good way to tear the lid corners...

Finally I'd expect it to be difficult to establish that code in any sort of useful scope even if there were no downsides to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Kempeth wrote:
Don't like the idea. There are too many reasons why you would or would not want to have the box propped up like that to use it as a signal.

Like others said. At cons propping it up like that shows everyone what is being played. If you were to use it as a signal you'd have to take it down as soon as you start playing.

Also depending on the space available it might not be feasible to do this.

I personally dislike propping up a game like this. I feel the box lid gets in the way if I need to access the box. Also this seems like a good way to tear the lid corners...

Finally I'd expect it to be difficult to establish that code in any sort of useful scope even if there were no downsides to it...

All good points, I'd also add that if space is limited you might be doing this to avoid having the lid take up table space (you could put the box into the lid completely of course, but that's often fiddly when you need to take it back out).

It's also worth noting that not all games have boxes that can be propped up in this way. If it comes in a tin with a very thin lid, or if it's not even in a box (maybe it's in a bag or pouch like Love Letter) you'd then need two different systems in place to indicate the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tie a tie around the door handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
I always thought that meant: "Do not disturb. Play session in progress."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
I always thought that meant: "Do not disturb. Play session in progress."

That probably explains it's lack of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen boxes propped up like this in Essen as I've only been to RPG cons (and similar trade fairs like Essen). With RPGs you have the list were you sign in and play at the givven time at the given table. In Essen boxes are propped up like this on several booths to show the game that's taught at this table. I've never thought of the idea it could mean anything else and so I think it's not a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the local gaming con like Sean and David said they use the orange cones. A game box propped up doesn't signal enough but it's hard to miss this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't understand how people are voting on the poll.

As of now, 44.4% say "No, and wouldn't have known that the person is seeking gamers." 25% say "No, and I would've thought this was done for some other reason."

That's a total of 69.4% saying they would have misunderstood or failed to understand this.

But 61.1 have voted that they think it's a good/great idea (1 or 2 on the second poll).

So there's clearly a fair number voting for both of these things...

If you wouldn't have understood what was intended, how can you think it's a good way to communicate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I often see it at cons so that the people playing don't have to answer what game is getting played and/or 'attracting' people to the product while playing.

Makes random pictures at the con easier to identify later too.

Yep this exactly and it's why I do it at Con's.

I have seen and used specific signs that say things like "Looking for players" or "Willing to Teach" with said game by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
xipuloxx wrote:
I don't understand how people are voting on the poll.

As of now, 44.4% say "No, and wouldn't have known that the person is seeking gamers." 25% say "No, and I would've thought this was done for some other reason."

That's a total of 69.4% saying they would have misunderstood or failed to understand this.

But 61.1 have voted that they think it's a good/great idea (1 or 2 on the second poll).

So there's clearly a fair number voting for both of these things...

If you wouldn't have understood what was intended, how can you think it's a good way to communicate?

I guess this means a number of people think this is a good idea if they were made aware of why it was being done (which they were by the second poll).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.