BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for two player game with startegy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Takzu Takzu

Delaware
msg tools
Hi

I am looking for a board game that works very well for two with following criteria:

- 2 player game.
- play length less than 100 minutes, preferably an hour. The less the better.
- essy to teach, such that new player would want to play it again and doesnt have to dedicate lots of time learning the game in their 1st playthrough,
- rewards strategy and thought, such that a very good/strategic player can win with quite a great differnce. Has to "feel" rewarding and giving a kind of satisfaction.
- maybe shows different levels of different skillgap in relation to the above.
- trying to avoid cardgames and cards with lots of text, thus preferring a board.

I have looked at castles of burgundy, but Im not sure how rewarding the different strategies will feel. Also the theme doesnt appeal much to me. On the other hand netrunner really appeals, but from what I read it is not easy to teach because of the many different cards, some with lots of text etc.

Looking forward to your recommendations!
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Advanced Search:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=bggrating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
idiot crow wrote:

Not sure what the criteria you used are but Power Grid is toward the top of the search and doesn't match his criteria (it's not recommended for two players and longer than 100 minutes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
The one game that has made me feel satisfied and was also "rewarding" is Trajan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacDonald
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like A Few Acres of Snow, but easier to teach and more versatile is Summoner Wars (like Magic: the Gathering, but with tactical movement and pre-made factions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Targi

From what I understand to be the case, because I have yet to play them....

Keyflower - build a village with tiles - feels rewarding - very little text - lots of Iconography - 90 minutes - plays well with two

Suburbia - build a city with tiles - feels rewarding - very little text - lots of Iconography - 90 minutes - plays well with two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
The one game that has made me feel satisfied and was also "rewarding" is Trajan.

I just received this, as well as Suburbia today as BGG Secret Santa gifts. I can't wait to try these out!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2p? Easy yet rewarding?

Le Havre: The Inland Port

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike Duellum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars: Master Set is mainly a card game more so than a board game (though it is less of a card game than Android: Netrunner), but it completely fits all of your other criteria. It is very fast (45-60 minutes at the very longest), easy to teach, and rewards strategy and thought.

I also love that it is super easy to teach to a newbie since you can just hand them a faction deck and they can play, but also has tons of depth for veterans to explore with deck-building options and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Battle Line is a good choice. It's a card game, but only about 10 or so cards actually have text. Most cards just have a number and a color. It's pretty strategic, and very tense. It plays in about half an hour - I usually play a few games at a time.

I would also recommend Aton, I think it fits all the criteria you mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahuna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 fits most of the criteria. It's relatively quick, very easy to teach, has great looking board and OK, cards with some text on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars might suit your needs. Especially if Android was in your considerations.

1)It is primarily a 2 player game, although there are multiplayer variants if you ever want to go that route.

2) Games are easily under the 100 minute mark. As long as both players know the game, most of your games should end within an hour.

3) It has a dedicated teaching mode called Apprentice Mode. This is not a dumbed down version of the game. It still uses the full and complete set of rules. However, it reduces the board size and the spellbook size to speed up the action and reduce analysis paralysis. This keeps the new player engaged and interested. The rules themselves are then pretty intuitive and easy to grasp.

4) Mage Wars is entirely about strategy. It has almost no luck in it at all. Each round you get to choose which spells you cast, unlike in Android or Summoner Wars where you're at the mercy of drawing from a deck. You have to deal with tactical positioning and anticipating your opponent. The only element of luck in the game are the attack dice, which have NEVER decided a game for me out of the hundreds of times I've played. I've always been able to point and say "that's where I messed up" or "that's where I had him."

5) Not sure what you mean by "different levels of different skillgap"

6) It does utilize cards with a bit of text on them, but not more so than Android. The cards are pretty easy to understand though, and they have an alphabetized codex in the back of the rulebook if you do have a question regarding anything on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Targi also and it ticks a lot of his boxes, but it doesn’t fit his strategic criteria since 90% of the decisions are tactical in nature.

Very fun and interesting tactical decisions mind you, so unless the OP is not really distinguishing between tactics and strategy they might want to consider something else.

+1 for A Few Acres of Snow as it does pretty much satisfy everything he is looking for: board, cards without much text, not too long, pretty easy to learn, demonstrates skill gap. But surely someone will chime in saying that it is broken because of the HH. But, it is only broken to those who read strategy articles on BGG and enjoy playing like a robot. For 95% of gamers, this means the game is not broken at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
Mage Wars might suit your needs. Especially if Android was in your considerations.

1)It is primarily a 2 player game, although there are multiplayer variants if you ever want to go that route.

2) Games are easily under the 100 minute mark. As long as both players know the game, most of your games should end within an hour.

3) It has a dedicated teaching mode called Apprentice Mode. This is not a dumbed down version of the game. It still uses the full and complete set of rules. However, it reduces the board size and the spellbook size to speed up the action and reduce analysis paralysis. This keeps the new player engaged and interested. The rules themselves are then pretty intuitive and easy to grasp.

4) Mage Wars is entirely about strategy. It has almost no luck in it at all. Each round you get to choose which spells you cast, unlike in Android or Summoner Wars where you're at the mercy of drawing from a deck. You have to deal with tactical positioning and anticipating your opponent. The only element of luck in the game are the attack dice, which have NEVER decided a game for me out of the hundreds of times I've played. I've always been able to point and say "that's where I messed up" or "that's where I had him."

5) Not sure what you mean by "different levels of different skillgap"

6) It does utilize cards with a bit of text on them, but not more so than Android. The cards are pretty easy to understand though, and they have an alphabetized codex in the back of the rulebook if you do have a question regarding anything on the card.

I second this. Excellent choice.

Edit: I also like Earth Reborn. Excellent game with lot of possibilities for two players. There are two sides and that game don't really need more than two players, even it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takzu Takzu

Delaware
msg tools
Wow some great suggestions. Lots of games I neaver heard of, gonna check them all out here on bgg. Thanks!

Regarding mage wars: I actually had a look at this one, but thinking it might contain too much information for new players (lots of cards to study for new players to develop a strategy). (I will like it, but not sure the ones Im playing with will like it). Also wil the game only last an hour after 1st/2nd playthrough?

Also about castles of burgundy, will it really feel strategic and reward that or? (although I dislike the theme, many people seems to like the game itself )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cambria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kimmel
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, for two player strategy games it is hard to beat Trajan. That is an excellent suggestion.

However, for a shorter game, I'd definitely recommend The Duke, also. It is very chess-like, but it is accessible and extremely strategic. A great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely keyflower...I know the name sounds boring but this game is Great! You definitely should take a look at it.

+1Keyflower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by two-player game?? Should it provide only 2p?? Will you ONLY play it with 2, or could it happen, that a 3rd joins?

=> 2p or multiplayer game good with 2??
Agricola should work with 2 (it is multiplayer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Go - especially good at the highlighting the skillgap part through the numerical handicapping system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre

Also look at the Kosmos 2 player line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.