25 Posts

Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » News

Subject: Join us... ALL stretch goals announced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chaos Phil
msg tools
mb
Its looking beautiful, loads of great freebies means even a £75 pledge gets you LOADS + last nine days to get a Berserker model ... Dont wanna miss that do ya lol
Well worth it and is GOING to become the greatest miniatures game of all time. Games workshop eat your heart out

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/513277403/alien-vs-preda...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up for your enthusiasm there. But I REALLY doubt this will be the "greatest miniatures game of all time"

They can have my shiny dollar (quid, pound whatever), so I can continue to get updates, but I think I'll just wait for the "non-collectable" plastic version rather than be disapointed with this train wreck of a Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curios as to why to update detailing the goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
I'm curios as to why to update detailing the goals?

Probably to entice some more people to pledge. To be honest, I'd love to have me a Power Loader and Alien Queen. Although it'll probably end up costing me a fortune for them going by the prices they have been quoting so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That should have been why is there no update explaining the stretch-goal?

Freaking phone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So if histrionic negativity that is full of hyperbole is viewed as a very bad thing, is the opposite true?

Let's look at the board.

Survey says!

78% agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it true that they will not show the rules for the boardgame before the end of KS ? I won't buy without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Silvershadow206 wrote:
Well worth it and is GOING to become the greatest miniatures game of all time.

Since they are unwilling to show the rules or to disclose any details about them I think there is good reasons to believe that this will not be the greates miniatures game of all time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
That should have been why is there no update explaining the stretch-goal?

Freaking phone

They should have done an update with all the cool/relevant/important news, to include the stretch goals, summarized from the video chat thing they held yesterday, maybe even a transcript. And it should have been up soon after the chat ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Silvershadow206 wrote:
Its looking beautiful, loads of great freebies means even a £75 pledge gets you LOADS + last nine days to get a Berserker model ... Dont wanna miss that do ya lol
Well worth it and is GOING to become the greatest miniatures game of all time. Games workshop eat your heart out

Thanks for stepping out there. The pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silvershadow206 wrote:
Its looking beautiful...and is GOING to become the greatest miniatures game of all time.

I really hope it does. Gaming with Aliens and Predators and Marines? Fantastic!

But the complete lack or rules makes me very wary of claiming it is going to be a GREAT game. Theres no evidence as yet it will even be a GOOD game - just a game with pretty pieces.

I got burned by Sedition Wars as well - pretty, but pretty ordinary as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty figures - yes but pretty floor boards ? No, I think they are hard to look at with the green/yellow brightness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
LarkinVB wrote:
Pretty figures - yes but pretty floor boards ? No, I think they are hard to look at with the green/yellow brightness.

Prodos stated yesterday in their QnA session that the tiles are not final. When they receive the samples from the printers in a few weeks, they will post them up for additional comments and make changes then. Also keep in mind, the tiles are representing the insides of the space craft Theseus, not trying to represent anything else, for the 10 (+3 solo) boardgame scenarios.

Contrast of color and not fading to black where the tiles connect have been the two suggestions I have verbally supported to Prodos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Silvershadow206 wrote:

I'm glad you are excited about this kickstarter, but for me, I just can't generate enough interest to back.

The miniatures do indeed look beautiful (not sure that is the right word!) but the sample cards and map tiles are hideous. They may not be final, but as the final ones won't be shown until after the kickstarter finishes, I have to go on what I can see.

I have no idea how a beserker is any different to any other miniature, or even if it can be used in the board game (comments from Prodos have implied that only the basic stuff in the box works with the board game and advanced rules and characters are only for the war game), so I don't care about that.

I have no interest in the war game (I don't think it fits the theme at all). Even if I did, Prodos aren't showing the rules until after the kickstarter finishes. The rules about the board game have been garbled at best - one minute there is no grid, then there is a grid, but it doesn't fit the miniatures, and it doesn't work with advanced units.

Despite people wanting more marines, there are no more marines in the stretch goals. There is a power loader, but I'm not even sure how that works as part of the game. It is an iconic part of the movies, but the power loader isn't a weapon - Ripley uses it because it's all she has left. Having powerloaders striding across a battlefield seems odd to me, and I don't know if it is usable in the board game.

Every new miniatures game is supposedly going to kill Games Workshop, but the evil empire is still standing at the moment, and I honestly don't believe this game is going to be the one that takes it down.

And at the moment, the £75 pledge only gets a few freebie items. This seems to be a kickstarter where you go big, or you go home.

So... I've made my decision, and I'm leaving this one alone. I will check back in when the retail version comes out, and see how I feel about that one. So I guess this is me signing off

Good luck with the rest of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In fairness to Prodos, I do recall a few instances where they said all miniatures will have rules for the boardgame as well as the wargame (basic versus advanced apparaently).

Not that should sway anyone either way, but it is important to know what Prodos did say at least, for what that is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Inky Witch wrote:
In fairness to Prodos, I do recall a few instances where they said all miniatures will have rules for the boardgame as well as the wargame (basic versus advanced apparaently).

Not that should sway anyone either way, but it is important to know what Prodos did say at least, for what that is worth.

This is part of my issue with this kickstarter - I believe they are winging it a bit. The difference between the board game and war game seems to muddy at best. I don't think they intended to have basic grid-based movement rules until people started complaining about using a ruler. After they said grid movement would be available, they said this:

"yes 2 set of rules, basic and advanced, basic just for game board, advanced can be used either for board game or wargame, that is the master plan, you play as you want, grids ? no problemo, you may play basic board game (as will be shown on 1st video) , want to include more models , create own heroes, no problemo play ruler-wargame version (ruler system is needed for the "game flow"), I think, this fusion is the best you can have it as the "limit" does not exist ;] in fact we have the same approach for Warzone, where you can play basic game (no cards) or advanced with cards."

So, going by this, all miniatures will be usable with the board game - but the board game is basically just the wargame. If people want to use the basic, grid movement game, they can't use heroes or additional models. In other words, you have to play the war game on a board.

Now - if that isn't the case, then Prodos really need to sort out their communication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Amacker

New Orleans
Louisiana
msg tools
I am so on the fence about this. I'm willing to shell out for it if the models work within the game, but I can't for the life of me figure out how much to pledge to get everything. The pricing structure is incredibly obtuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the game, but haven't backed it. As far as I can tell, there is no value in pledging now versus waiting for the retail edition, and in fact it will cost me more. Unless you value the resin vs. plastic minis, but I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I'm interested in the game, but haven't backed it. As far as I can tell, there is no value in pledging now versus waiting for the retail edition, and in fact it will cost me more. Unless you value the resin vs. plastic minis, but I don't.

Except from what I understand only the base game mini S are to be in the cheaper one piece plastics.
All the other figures will stay as they are.

Or am I getting that wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ropya wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

Except from what I understand only the base game mini S are to be in the cheaper one piece plastics.

I understand it this way as well. But really, we won't know until they actually do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never wanted to back a game more than this one. But this KS scares me even more. Bottom line. It's way to expensive for the risk. Going to wait on the retail version and see what the reviewers say. Still, I'm going to follow this KS project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

I think you are right, but it doesn't negate his point. If he isn't interested in the base game figures in resin, waiting for the plastic retail version is a good choice for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
ropya wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

I think you are right, but it doesn't negate his point. If he isn't interested in the base game figures in resin, waiting for the plastic retail version is a good choice for him.

True.
But he didn't clarify if it was the game in general or just the base game hewas iinterested in.
I was just letting em know that, from what I understand, only base game figures will be in cheaper plastic.
So for instance if he ended up wanting a group of warriors, he'd have to buythe higher ccost, higher detail minis anyway.

And if you have some of higher quality, the plastic one pieces are really going to stand out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:

And if you have some of higher quality, the plastic one pieces are really going to stand out.

Depends, with my painting skill they'll all look equally bad when I'm done with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
ropya wrote:

Depends, with my painting skill they'll all look equally bad when I'm done with them.

Lol.
Fair point.
Thats why these and Kingdom Death will be on hold for a good while until I get back in practice with super dungeon explore and mantic kickstarters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.