GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Can I add this to my collection if BF is not into deck building games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m in a bit of a pickle here… I am a Magic: the Gathering junkie (one of the few girls playing that game), but I don’t want to keep spending all my money on getting the best cards. So I keep it casual with drafts and sealed.

I usually play board games with my boyfriend: most of my friends are not into board gaming… and it can be difficult to get those that are into board gaming together on a regular basis. I have tried and failed miserably to teach him Magic: he thinks it’s too complex. But… We are very much into Lord of the Rings: the card game (living card game). Although for now he lets the deck building up to me in that game.

I have been looking for a game that would give me the same feeling of battling mages as Magic: the Gathering, without having to keep buying cards. Mage Wars seems to fit just perfectly! But… when I showed the introduction video of what Mage Wars is to my BF (the only person I get to play board games with on a regular basis), he was put off: he feels the game will be too complex, he’s not at all into deck building (he’s convinced he lacks the patience for that aspect of the game, and doesn't want to read all the text on hundreds of cards just to pick out a few dozen cards for his deck). So my hopes of getting this near perfect game are crushed I only see a few options left:
- I give up and just admit that Mage Wars will never make it to my collection, and cry myself to sleep for the next few weeks cry
- I try to easy him into Mage Wars with a similar game with less complexity and less deck building aspects: Summoner Wars! Hoping that that game will lower his resistance for Mage Wars.
- I buy it anyway and try to let him see the wonder of this game (or is that a waste of time and money if he really doesn’t like deck building and finds CCG’s too complex to master? Even if he does like playing LOTR: LCG?)
- I try to find a gaming buddy to play Mage Wars with (is that even possible?)

Are there Mage Wars fans who have faced the same difficulties and can enlighten me on their solutions?

Thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: how can I add this to my collection when BF is not into deck building games?
You can build deck for him too.
You can create even "easy deck" with not a lot of text and strategy (i.e. beastmaster animal swarm) and get your BF to get used to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Borders
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get the base game and build all the spellbooks. Learn the game and teach him the game. You will probably be the only one building spellbooks for a while. I am sure if he finds the game fun, that will change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a relatively similar situation. To give you a preface, let me say that Mage Wars is definitely a favorite of mine, so I will defend it while heeding warning to your worries!

sverbeure wrote:
when I showed the introduction video of what Mage Wars is to my BF (the only person I get to play board games with on a regular basis), he was put off: he feels the game will be too complex, he’s not at all into deck building (he’s convinced he lacks the patience for that aspect of the game, and doesn't want to read all the text on hundreds of cards just to pick out a few dozen cards for his deck). So my hopes of getting this near perfect game are crushed

Mage Wars is a complex game (mechanics are simple after a couple turns, but depth of options and conditions and terms are fairly large). The good thing about this though is that you can go as deep as he is willing to go.

As far deck building:
- You can play "apprentice mode" which is a lighter version where you only play with ~1/2 the size deck. This is a must for teaching people (they can focus on less, and they don't glaze over trying to understand every single card)
- The game comes with pre-builds that you can put together that is a default deck. This is amazing for two reasons: 1) You can play a balanced game against your bf using decks that are easy to use, and 2) once he gets the groove of the game, if he sees a card that's not in the pre-build and that he wants to put in his deck, he can put it in and take out something else!!! Customization can be taken with baby steps

This is a perfect game. It fits into the TCG world while keeping it simple since it uses a light LCG style.

sverbeure wrote:
I try to easy him into Mage Wars with a similar game with less complexity and less deck building aspects: Summoner Wars! Hoping that that game will lower his resistance for Mage Wars.
- I buy it anyway and try to let him see the wonder of this game (or is that a waste of time and money if he really doesn’t like deck building and finds CCG’s too complex to master? Even if he does like playing LOTR: LCG?)

Summoner Wars as an intro is an excellent warm-up. If he takes to Summoner Wars, he is likely to take to Mage Wars, but I wouldn't say that someone who doesn't like Summoner Wars wouldn't like Mage Wars. I think someone can like one and not the other.

If you decide to go the route of buying Mage Wars, just buy the core set and be happy with it. Don't expect to get the expansions unless he wants more. The excellent thing about this game is that you really don't need the expansions.

sverbeure wrote:
Are there Mage Wars fans who have faced the same difficulties and can enlighten me on their solutions?

I am going through the same thing. I am loving this game, but can't find people to play it with. I finally convinced one other friend to get it though, and we LOVE it.

If you can find 1 person to play it with, I would say get it! This game is complex enough to be happy with 1 opponent. I did this for a while, and eventually I even found a couple more players!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars is about equal to Magic the Gathering in complexity. I have never played the LotR LCG but it certainly does not look any simpler than other LCGs and CCGs, so the fact that he is happy with it and not Magic baffles me.

With that said, Mage Wars does have a learning mode, that was previously mentioned, called Apprentice Mode. This will ease him into the game so that he doesn't feel overwhelmed.

I would go for options number 3 and number 4 simultaneously. Introduce him to the game and hope for the best. Nobody can guarantee he'll like it given your past hit and miss experience with customizable card games. However, getting Summoner Wars first is not a good indication of whether he'd like Mage Wars. The two are very different games.

Meanwhile, even if it is a miss with the boyfriend, I don't think you'll have problems playing it. You mentioned you want this kind of as a replacement for Magic, which the boyfriend does not play. So, presumably you have other people you play Magic with, right? From my experience, every Magic player that I've introduced to Mage Wars absolutely loves it. Show it off to your friends, demo a few games in Apprentice Mode, spread the love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars is a little simpler than the LotR LCG, in my opinion, so you're in luck there. I disagree that Mage Wars is as complex as MTG -- it's a considerably tighter game with a lot of strategy to it, but it doesn't have 239587289357 keywords from all the old sets... there's no phasing.

For me, I own Mage Wars and play w/ a few people, most of whom don't build decks -- so I just built a few decks I thought seemed fun and fairly equal and let people choose which they'd like to play.

I'd say give it a shot, it's plausible your boyfriend won't enjoy the game, but who knows. Also, if you're doing MTG drafts, try bringing Mage Wars to one of those and asking somebody there to play before or after the draft -- Mage Wars should appeal to many MTG players, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that Mage Wars does not have the number of cards or keywords that Magic has. However, the rules and the cards it does have are equally complex to anything Magic throws at you. So I guess it depends on what he's having trouble with in Magic. Is it that he can't grasp the concepts or is it just that he's overwhelmed by the volume?

My guess is that James is right and it's the sheer volume that's keeping him down. The chance for Magic might have passed, but if not you might try a very limited format for teaching it to him. Like just using the preconstructed Duel Decks rather than Custom Decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you mean it this way, but Mage Wars is not a deck building game. Its a game in which you CAN build a deck to play, if you wish, but the objective of the game is not to build a deck as it is in Legendary, Thunderstone or Dominion. As others mentioned, if you just use the pre-built decks, he never has to build anything and can play without that element of preparation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My number one recommendation is ... Buy the core set.

Not too expensive to try it out.

Check out Crits Happen videos with BF to see if he likes it.

For me, Mage wars is more like a fantasy miniatures game than a deck builder. The spell book construction is like designing a Warhammer army. The actual play is more like an abstract wargame than a deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
I have never played the LotR LCG but it certainly does not look any simpler than other LCGs and CCGs, so the fact that he is happy with it and not Magic baffles me.
One important difference is that the LotR is a cooperative game: the players try to beat the encounter deck. M:TG is very much a competitive game, as is Mage Wars.

So if that's behind the BF's dislike for M:TG, the OP's probably out of luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most." - Frank Castle
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go ahead and build the spellbooks yourself instead of requiring him to do any, you may be in luck, since the game is fairly intuitive. If you can get him to play once, he'll probably agree that it isn't too complicated. The trouble, is getting him to play that first game. Good luck.

Also, in the event that you buy it, and he doesn't like it, I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling it off. People are nuts about this game, and are always buying extra core sets for more cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection it seems that the BF has been convinced that this is a pretty good game ?! At least you bought the core set and ALL expansions so far... How have things fared so far ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
renold de c
msg tools
Well, I'll share my experience.
For a long time (well, maybe year and a half) I wanted to find a perfect two-player board game for me and my wife.
She like Arkham Horror and Twilight Imperium 3, so complex rules are not a problem. Also CRPGs like Planescape Torment and Dragon Age, it helps.

Tried to enter card games with Game of Thrones: The Card Game as we both love the books, but failed miserably. I moderately enjoyed it, but my wife didn't.
Something like:
- Now you attack me.
- I don't want you.

So I was a little bit worried about Mage Wars. She liked video review, but still.

And our first game was a blast from the beginning. Her priestess annihilated my beastmaster and we enjoyed the process greatly. I lost the second game also. We ignored apprentice mode and used all the rules from the beginning.

As for deckbuilding - not much of that for now, but foundation was layed.
- I want to add teleport to my deck
- I want it too! Show me how to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- I give up and just admit that Mage Wars will never make it to my collection, and cry myself to sleep for the next few weeks cry

Do not take this option! Get this game, it's good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Quote:

Do not take this option! Get this game, it's good!

She already has

Although I wouldn't mind an update. She hasn't rated it yet, but she has gotten all of the expansions, so I presume she enjoys it. What about the boyfriend though? Did you get him into it or did you find someone else to play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
renold wrote:
Well, I'll share my experience.
For a long time (well, maybe year and a half) I wanted to find a perfect two-player board game for me and my wife.
She like Arkham Horror and Twilight Imperium 3, so complex rules are not a problem. Also CRPGs like Planescape Torment and Dragon Age, it helps.

Tried to enter card games with Game of Thrones: The Card Game as we both love the books, but failed miserably. I moderately enjoyed it, but my wife didn't.
Something like:
- Now you attack me.
- I don't want you.

So I was a little bit worried about Mage Wars. She liked video review, but still.

And our first game was a blast from the beginning. Her priestess annihilated my beastmaster and we enjoyed the process greatly. I lost the second game also. We ignored apprentice mode and used all the rules from the beginning.

As for deckbuilding - not much of that for now, but foundation was layed.
- I want to add teleport to my deck
- I want it too! Show me how to do that.

Welcome to the arena, renold. If you guys find yourself fighting over cards you have a few options.

1) buy more stuff! This helps to support the company making this great game (and maybe your local gaming store as well) but it might not make your wallet happy.

2) draft cards. There have been several suggested draft formats on these forums and the Arcane Wonders forums. See if any strike your fancy.

3) proxy cards. This is both cheap and fair to both of you, allowing everyone to use the cards they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.