Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm close to ordering this.

The miniatures seem almost impossible to resist.

But one of my regular shops has a kazillion of expansions and at the moment I'm in a 'want to get them all' kind of mood.

But than I wondered, will you ever use all this stuff, or is it one of them games where you select a few and have the others watch while you play..

and what about the next game, samurai battles, ninja attack.
is there any info on that?

I am pleased the C&C system is involved with this or I would not have gone for it, assuming this is a miniatures company that pasted a game on it's models just for better sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, they would love for you to buy extra stuff!

The scenarios in the game handle just the parts that come in the box. (Make sure you find the "corrected" scenarios, as there were a few glitches on unit makeup, especially with the cavalry.)

In most cases, there is room on the map for boosting the sides by some extra units and maybe bumping the victory conditions a bit.

I would recommend starting with just the base game, unless you can get some big deal with a bulk purchase.

Or maybe add 4 packs of the mounted, which will give you two extra of those units (the only things which seem really sparse.)

The system comes with red and yellow flags to designate the armies, but in the mix of forces from one scenario to the next, the expectation is that some of the units will be "red" in one scenario but need to be "yellow" in another. This may strain the flags over time, and demands a generic sort of paint job (if you plan on painting.) But I think a person could be systematic and figure out exactly how many and which extra units it will take to be able to cover all the scenarios but never have to change flags. Some have just doubled the armies (two base games are a cheaper way of getting that many figures) but I don't think that is really a requirement, just a simplification.

I would like a few more unit types in the mix. In the base game you have one mounted type, two ranged weapon types, and two types of infantry. That's it. "Ninja Attack" adds a few more types. So my preference would be to flesh out the bad game with a few extra units, to cover the scenarios, and then pick up NA for the added units and scenarios.

No need to worry about NA arrival -- it will take quite some time setting up the base game (this is not "plug and play").

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Of course, they would love for you to buy extra stuff!

You sure they wouldn't mind? what a relief I'd hate to upset anybody

Quote:

The scenarios in the game handle just the parts that come in the box. (Make sure you find the "corrected" scenarios, as there were a few glitches on unit makeup, especially with the cavalry.)

where do I find those, is there a certain edition I need, hmm are there more than one

Quote:
In most cases, there is room on the map for boosting the sides by some extra units and maybe bumping the victory conditions a bit.

So basically there is little point in buying more, unless you like to display stuff.

Quote:

I would recommend starting with just the base game, unless you can get some big deal with a bulk purchase.

As things are I can get the base game 'cheapest' at a Dutch shop, but the extra's I can get in Germany for under 3 euros a set. Which seem good but, what do I know.

Quote:
Or maybe add 4 packs of the mounted, which will give you two extra of those units (the only things which seem really sparse.)

Appreciate the advise.

Quote:
The system comes with red and yellow flags to designate the armies, but in the mix of forces from one scenario to the next, the expectation is that some of the units will be "red" in one scenario but need to be "yellow" in another. This may strain the flags over time, and demands a generic sort of paint job (if you plan on painting.)

Oh wouldn't that just be great, if I was that handy.

Quote:

But I think a person could be systematic and figure out exactly how many and which extra units it will take to be able to cover all the scenarios but never have to change flags. Some have just doubled the armies (two base games are a cheaper way of getting that many figures) but I don't think that is really a requirement, just a simplification.

I would like a few more unit types in the mix. In the base game you have one mounted type, two ranged weapon types, and two types of infantry. That's it.

Really? that's all? from the information I got the impression you'd have a kazillion units.

Quote:
"Ninja Attack" adds a few more types. So my preference would be to flesh out the bad game with a few extra units, to cover the scenarios, and then pick up NA for the added units and scenarios.

No need to worry about NA arrival -- it will take quite some time setting up the base game (this is not "plug and play").

Enjoy.

So this a game you think is worth getting.
I've got C&C napoleonic all wrapped up for Christmas, is this different enough tobe worth the purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
But I think a person could be systematic and figure out exactly how many and which extra units it will take to be able to cover all the scenarios but never have to change flags.

If you check the files section for this game here on BGG, you can find an Excell file which details how many extra units of each type you'll need if you don't want to change the flags. That's what I used when I made my purchase. Though I think the original file contains a mistake. I'll look if I can find the corrected version on my pc. If you send me a geekmail with your e-mail adress, I'll send it to you.

sagitar wrote:
So this a game you think is worth getting. I've got C&C napoleonic all wrapped up for Christmas, is this different enough tobe worth the purchase?

YES. If you don't mind the putting together of a whole lot of miniatures (even more work than stickering the blocks in C&C Napoleonics).
I own both Samurai Battles and C&C Napoleonics (and Memoir '44, and Battlelore, and Battle Cry) and both games are certainly different enough. The emphasis in Samurai Battles is more on close combat, whereas in C&C: Napoleonics it leans more towards the ranged combat side of things (with well-timed charges and close combat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bedankt/merci Benjamin (covering both bases)

I own Memoir, which in my mind is more for playing with the kids, allthough for some reason they soon lost patience with it.
Weird that, large miniatures, you'd think they'd reallly like that.

Also have Battlelore, which looks even more impressive, but didn't even get them to try that -one of those things you expect to do great and that turns out to be a waste of money- maybe all that's in that box was a bit intimidating..

Mind you, so many year later, I reckon I'll go and give both games another chance, maybe they are more into it now.

As said I recently bough C&C napoleonics.
As the other games didn't 'catch on' I probably should have stayed away, but I'm a sucker for boxes with loads of stuff and I really enjoy pre-game preparation, so having to do loads of stickers, or whatever for me is the start of having fun playing with the components.

Besides I read a number of reviews and got the impression this would be different enough and has a potential to be really fun.
So with that I should have enough to keep me indoors come Christmas.

But as these things go, you have a bored moment, start checking game shops and before you know it, oh cr*p there's a new list.

So I won't mind building the miniatures but what really puts me off and is keeping me from placing my order is all this talk about the bad quality of the miniatures, or better of the plastic.

I've read a few about bits breaking of when you try to cut them out for assembly.
And this very thread is based on getting more stuff so you don't have to move the flags cause they are almost sure to not survive.

That is taking the fun out of the whole thing.
I for one would be highly annoyed if things broke that easily.
I mean you create a game where you make people change flags and than turn out the flag do not really take kindly to being handled.

shake

Is this a case of using bad material i.e. inverior plastics?
Even the designer warns us about this, so .... something seems wrong.
Make you wonder how the figures take to being handled.

Oh I really like the miniatures, they look great but if they are that fragile..

Hm just remembered, what's the size of these things anyway.
After looking at all the close up foto's and enjoying the detail I now realise I do not have a clue asto reall size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.