Subject: Investigator count rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I couldn't find this in the rules/references (maybe just looked in the wrong sections), but:

Does having players eliminated (ie after Ancient One wakes up) lower the investigator count? Since this seems to affect the mysteries. I don't think it does (thus we agreed as a group that it doesn't), but just wanted to make sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as there are no rules that say you should ever flip the reference card, I would say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You replace an investigator when one is rendered crippled/insane. There is no player elimination. So you will always have the same investigator count as the card, unless you somehow run through all of the available investigators. I suppose that could happen with > 6 players and a LOT of crippled/insane investigators, but I'd bet on it being pretty unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
You replace an investigator when one is rendered crippled/insane. There is no player elimination. So you will always have the same investigator count as the card, unless you somehow run through all of the available investigators. I suppose that could happen with > 6 players and a LOT of crippled/insane investigators, but I'd bet on it being pretty unlikely.

He was talking about after the ancient one has awoken, in which case yes there is player elimination.

I agree with Chris that the reference card should not be swapped out. The precedent is in Arkham Horror and we haven't heard anything to the contrary. Also, you let doom get to zero it isn't supposed to get easier after that. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Again, I realize by "common sense", that it shouldn't lower, but I just thought with the nice reference book that hammered out the details, it might just be me missing a small detail in the rules.

Biggest thing isn't the reference card, it's the mysteries, since most of those cards reacts with the number of investigators in the game.

I agree it shouldn't be easier, but I can't assume rules from AH to carry over. If that was the case, I can't move through spaces with monsters and will always have to spend a good old time with the gate before anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to argue this:

Nothing I found in the rules or reference manual mentions players being eliminated from the game once the AO is flipped. Additionally, since pg 12 of the reference manual states under Winning/Losing "If a Mythos card cannot be drawn during the Mythos Phase, the Mythos Phase ends and the investigators lose the game" there is no need to eliminate players from the game. Unlike Arkham Horror, where a new investigator could joint the final battle and cause an infinite game loop error, there is a finite number of turns before the game ends and thus all players get to be involved until the bitter end.

Also, as you stated, game effects are dependent on the number of investigators. You could change that mid-game or end-game, but it would make things confusing and create the requirement of resolving these changes. For example, you have 1 eldritch token on the final mystery to win the game but were in a 3 player game. You have 1 turn left and the AO is awake. One player then throws themselves uselessly at the AO to commit suicide and is eliminated AH style - now there are 2 investigators left, so only 1 eldritch token and not 2 is needed for the final mystery. The other players decide not to do anything and pass, and then they win the game - all because Carver let himself get eaten? No, that's not thematically right... the AO isn't going to burp and then go back to bed, its going to destroy the world. This is another reason why you don't want elimination in the game.

Thanks to Todd for pointing out the section I missed in the reference guide in the rules. Defeated investigators are clearly stated as not counting. However, page 5 under the Eliminated section has no such rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is covered in the reference guide under defeated investigators.

Page 4 wrote:
If an investigator is defeated after the Ancient One awakens, that player is eliminated.

The reference card is placed on the game board when you set up the game. You are never told to replace it when players are eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
It is covered in the reference guide under defeated investigators.

Page 4 wrote:
If an investigator is defeated after the Ancient One awakens, that player is eliminated.

The reference card is placed on the game board when you set up the game. You are never told to replace it when players are eliminated.

Also, I found on pg 10 of the reference manual it states under Reference Card "During setup, place the Reference card that corresponds to the number of players by the game board."

From pg 7 of the reference manual it states under Investigator "The word "investigator" refers to a player, the character he controls, and that character's Investigator sheet and Investigator token."

So basically, the reference card is determined only during setup and does not change during the game. A defeated investigator does not count as an investigator, so no cards affecting "all investigators" or "the lead investigator chooses 1 investigator" can be applied to the defeated investigator on the board.

The player number icon does not change once the game starts, even if a player is later eliminated.

Cool, I learned a rule I did not know before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.